    QuicKeys, I turned that off as well.

    All to no avail. The keys are dead.

    Any cures?
    gtr, May 24, 2012

  2. In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:

    > I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
    > limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
    > apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
    > 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

    I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
    in system preferences; you should see more options.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, May 24, 2012

  3. gtr

    gtr Guest

    On 2012-05-24 19:30:00 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:

    > In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
    >> limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
    >> apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
    >> 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

    > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
    > in system preferences; you should see more options.

    Yes, 24-inch. In SysPref it shows the same too as in the menu drop-down:

    1920/1260
    960/600

    No more.
    gtr, May 24, 2012
  4. Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
    > > limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
    > > apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
    > > 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

    > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
    > in system preferences; you should see more options.

    Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
    for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
    and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has. Glad that I've not
    done anything silly like downgrade it to Lion. I already have problems
    with many fonts being too small for my eyes; last thing I need is ones
    that are smaller still. I've yet to see anything about Lion that tempted
    me in the least, but several things I disliked. Tried it out
    dual-booting Lion and Snow Leopard on my laptop, but I stopped even
    experimenting with the Lion partition some time ago.

    I'm starting to think that if my wife's machine dies any time soon (and
    at that age, it is certainly a possibility) or if she just develops a
    need for something with a little more horsepower (ok, we don't really
    use horses to generate our electricity - mostly the solar electric that
    I had installed on our house last fall), I'll just give her the newer
    iMac that I'm typing this on (27" late 2009), and I'll switch to the
    Windows 7 system that I got a few months ago. I had intended it to be
    just for games, but I'm reasonably happy with it overall. Not that I'm
    thrilled with what I'm hearing about Windows 8, but if my wife has this
    2009 iMac and I have that new Windows 7 box, it will probably be a while
    before we are forced to worry about what's next.

    domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
    Richard Maine, May 24, 2012
  5. gtr <> wrote:

    > On 2012-05-24 19:30:00 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:
    >
    > > In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
    > >> limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
    > >> apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
    > >> 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

    > > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
    > > in system preferences; you should see more options.

    > Yes, 24-inch. In SysPref it shows the same too as in the menu drop-down:
    >
    > 1920/1260
    > 960/600
    >
    > No more.

    I assume that's 1920/1200 instead of 1260. 1920/1200 is "native"
    resolution for that panel. 1260 would be strange. My wife's shows those
    and plenty of other options (but she's on 10.6).

    domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
    Richard Maine, May 24, 2012
  6. In article <1kklobd.ovyhrv1oo5yx2N%>,
    ure (Richard Maine) wrote:

    > > > I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
    > > > limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
    > > > apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch,
    > > > Late 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

    > > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays
    > > panel in system preferences; you should see more options.

    > Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
    > for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
    > and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has.

    I have a 20" late 2006 iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB graphics card,
    and I don't have that problem. I have eight distinct resolutions to choose
    from.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, May 24, 2012
  7. Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <1kklobd.ovyhrv1oo5yx2N%>,
    > ure (Richard Maine) wrote:

    [correcting confusing quoting; the para below was actually gtr's;
    mine (Richard Maine) was the one about "reports elsewhere..."]

    > > > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays
    > > > panel in system preferences; you should see more options.

    > > Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
    > > for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
    > > and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has.

    > I have a 20" late 2006 iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB graphics card,
    > and I don't have that problem. I have eight distinct resolutions to choose
    > from.

    Yes, but the problem is alleged to be related to the graphics driver. So
    it isn't surprising that you'd not see the same thing with your ATI 1600
    as gtr reports with his NVIDIA 7600.

    domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
    Richard Maine, May 24, 2012
  8. gtr

    David Empson Guest

    Richard Maine <> wrote:

    > Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1kklobd.ovyhrv1oo5yx2N%>,
    > > ure (Richard Maine) wrote:
    > >

    > [correcting confusing quoting; the para below was actually gtr's;
    > mine (Richard Maine) was the one about "reports elsewhere..."]

    > > > Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
    > > > for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
    > > > and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has.

    > > I have a 20" late 2006 iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB graphics card,
    > > and I don't have that problem. I have eight distinct resolutions to choose
    > > from.

    > Yes, but the problem is alleged to be related to the graphics driver. So
    > it isn't surprising that you'd not see the same thing with your ATI 1600
    > as gtr reports with his NVIDIA 7600.

    Good to have that as another data point, so thanks for the confirmation
    Michelle.

    It appears to be specific to the NVIDIA GeForce 7x00 driver. The 24"
    late 2006 iMac has either a GeForce 7300 or 7600 depending on build
    options.

    Apple only used the GeForce 7600 in the 24" late 2006 iMac.

    The GeForce 7300 was also available as one of the options for the
    graphics card in the 2006 and 2007 Mac Pro. I haven't seen anyone
    reporting the problem for them yet, but they are much rarer than the 24"
    late 2006 iMac, and the problem might only affect the GeForce 7600, not
    the 7300.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, May 25, 2012
  9. gtr

    gtr Guest

    On 2012-05-24 20:28:27 +0000, Richard Maine said:

    >> Yes, 24-inch. In SysPref it shows the same too as in the menu drop-down:
    >>
    >> 1920/1260
    >> 960/600
    >>
    >> No more.

    > I assume that's 1920/1200 instead of 1260.

    Correct.
    gtr, May 26, 2012
  10. gtr

    gtr Guest

    On 2012-05-24 18:33:33 +0000, gtr said:

    > I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
    > limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
    > apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
    > 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

    Additional info seems to underscore "oh well" as conclusionary.

    > I note also that mission control has some difficulties. My F9, F10 and
    > F11 keys no longer function, though F12 does call up the Dashboard.

    After a reboot it began working again. This has happened twice though.
    Very odd.
    gtr, May 26, 2012