Lion Address Book Memory Leak

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 19, 2011.

  1. I installed Lion on my girlfriend's iMac (27-inch, 4GB RAM) on Saturday,
    my father's iMac (20-inch, 3GB RAM) on Saturday, and my two iMacs
    (27-inch, 8GB RAM) yesterday.

    When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on my two iMacs, Address
    Book's memory usage increases rapidly until I quit it. I have watched
    it increased to over 4GB within less than fifteen minutes. Once its
    memory usage passes a certain point, the hard drive activity becomes
    quite vigorous and loud, which I assume is rapid page swaps. The Mac's
    responsiveness declines rapidly as AB uses more memory. Once the memory
    manager starts banging the hard drive, it takes five to ten minutes for
    even a small memory footprint application like TextEdit to quit.

    When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on either of my
    girlfriend's iMac or my father's iMac, its memory usage remains constant
    at around 43MB for the entire day.

    Has anyone experienced this? I've searched for this problem, but have
    only read that Apple plugged some memory leaks in 10.7.2 in Safari and
    Time Machine. The significant difference between our systems is that my
    AB contains 3,600 contacts, whereas, theirs contain less than 200 each.
    Each of their Macs reside at home, and both use iCloud to sync with
    their respective iPhones and her iPad. One of my iMacs resides at home,
    the other at my small business. Both of them sync to iCloud and my
    iPhone.

    Thank you.

    --

    Kurt Todoroff

    Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
    Consent, not coercion.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 19, 2011

  2. In article <>,
    "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > I installed Lion on my girlfriend's iMac (27-inch, 4GB RAM) on Saturday,
    > my father's iMac (20-inch, 3GB RAM) on Saturday, and my two iMacs
    > (27-inch, 8GB RAM) yesterday.
    >
    > When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on my two iMacs, Address
    > Book's memory usage increases rapidly until I quit it. I have watched
    > it increased to over 4GB within less than fifteen minutes. Once its
    > memory usage passes a certain point, the hard drive activity becomes
    > quite vigorous and loud, which I assume is rapid page swaps. The Mac's
    > responsiveness declines rapidly as AB uses more memory. Once the memory
    > manager starts banging the hard drive, it takes five to ten minutes for
    > even a small memory footprint application like TextEdit to quit.
    >
    > When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on either of my
    > girlfriend's iMac or my father's iMac, its memory usage remains constant
    > at around 43MB for the entire day.
    >
    > Has anyone experienced this? I've searched for this problem, but have
    > only read that Apple plugged some memory leaks in 10.7.2 in Safari and
    > Time Machine. The significant difference between our systems is that my
    > AB contains 3,600 contacts, whereas, theirs contain less than 200 each.
    > Each of their Macs reside at home, and both use iCloud to sync with
    > their respective iPhones and her iPad. One of my iMacs resides at home,
    > the other at my small business. Both of them sync to iCloud and my
    > iPhone.
    >
    > Thank you.

    I posted the original message on Tuesday.

    On Wednesday, I decided to refrain from launching Address Book when I
    arrived at work (with the other applications that I use frequently
    throughout the day), and instead, just use it as needed and then quit
    it. My Quad-Core iMac's speed returned.

    This worked fine for several hours. Then my iMac began to act sluggish
    again. I launched Activity Monitor. A new process,
    AddressBookSyncSource, was behaving in the same manner that Address Book
    had been. That is, its memory usage was increasing rapidly and so was
    its CPU usage. I let it cook for a while, and then it terminated after
    a couple of hours. My Mac returned to normal.

    On Thursday, I launched my usual applications except for Address Book,
    when I arrived at my business. About four hours later my iMac began to
    act sluggish. I checked Activity Monitor. Sure enough,
    AddressBookSourceSync was running and using large amounts of system
    resources. It's still running as I type this. Seeing how its memory
    usage is approaching 6GB, I will restart my iMac after I post this
    message.

    A Google search returned very little information on
    AddressBookSourceSync. Is anyone familiar with it?

    Thank you.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 20, 2011

  3. In article <>,
    "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I installed Lion on my girlfriend's iMac (27-inch, 4GB RAM) on Saturday,
    > > my father's iMac (20-inch, 3GB RAM) on Saturday, and my two iMacs
    > > (27-inch, 8GB RAM) yesterday.
    > >
    > > When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on my two iMacs, Address
    > > Book's memory usage increases rapidly until I quit it. I have watched
    > > it increased to over 4GB within less than fifteen minutes. Once its
    > > memory usage passes a certain point, the hard drive activity becomes
    > > quite vigorous and loud, which I assume is rapid page swaps. The Mac's
    > > responsiveness declines rapidly as AB uses more memory. Once the memory
    > > manager starts banging the hard drive, it takes five to ten minutes for
    > > even a small memory footprint application like TextEdit to quit.
    > >
    > > When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on either of my
    > > girlfriend's iMac or my father's iMac, its memory usage remains constant
    > > at around 43MB for the entire day.
    > >
    > > Has anyone experienced this? I've searched for this problem, but have
    > > only read that Apple plugged some memory leaks in 10.7.2 in Safari and
    > > Time Machine. The significant difference between our systems is that my
    > > AB contains 3,600 contacts, whereas, theirs contain less than 200 each.
    > > Each of their Macs reside at home, and both use iCloud to sync with
    > > their respective iPhones and her iPad. One of my iMacs resides at home,
    > > the other at my small business. Both of them sync to iCloud and my
    > > iPhone.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > I posted the original message on Tuesday.
    >
    > On Wednesday, I decided to refrain from launching Address Book when I
    > arrived at work (with the other applications that I use frequently
    > throughout the day), and instead, just use it as needed and then quit
    > it. My Quad-Core iMac's speed returned.
    >
    > This worked fine for several hours. Then my iMac began to act sluggish
    > again. I launched Activity Monitor. A new process,
    > AddressBookSyncSource, was behaving in the same manner that Address Book
    > had been. That is, its memory usage was increasing rapidly and so was
    > its CPU usage. I let it cook for a while, and then it terminated after
    > a couple of hours. My Mac returned to normal.
    >
    > On Thursday, I launched my usual applications except for Address Book,
    > when I arrived at my business. About four hours later my iMac began to
    > act sluggish. I checked Activity Monitor. Sure enough,
    > AddressBookSourceSync was running and using large amounts of system
    > resources. It's still running as I type this. Seeing how its memory
    > usage is approaching 6GB, I will restart my iMac after I post this
    > message.
    >
    > A Google search returned very little information on
    > AddressBookSourceSync. Is anyone familiar with it?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Not seen this behavior on my 10.6.8 Quadcore MacPro system. I don't
    have as many entries in my Address Book as you do, but I do see
    WebServices ballon to 2GB of memory allocation and deflate with usage.
    The difference between previous versions of MacOS X and 10.6 is that the
    virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
    For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
    workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
    yours.

    What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
    and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
    iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
    sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
    Snitch or RubberNet)?

    I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
    we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
    monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
    you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering
    explain this behavior to you.

    Michael Vilain, Oct 20, 2011
  4. In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

> [...]

    > virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
    > For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
    > workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
    > yours.
    >
    > What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
    > and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
    > iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
    > sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
    > Snitch or RubberNet)?
    >
    > I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
    > we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
    > monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
    > you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering

    Hi Michael,

    I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
    suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.

    The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
    contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
    displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.

    Thank you.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 20, 2011
  5. In article <>,
    "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Michael Vilain <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <>,
    > > > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:
    > > >

    > > Not seen this behavior on my 10.6.8 Quadcore MacPro system. I don't
    > > have as many entries in my Address Book as you do, but I do see
    > > WebServices ballon to 2GB of memory allocation and deflate with usage.
    > > The difference between previous versions of MacOS X and 10.6 is that the
    > > virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
    > > For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
    > > workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
    > > yours.
    > >
    > > What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
    > > and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
    > > iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
    > > sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
    > > Snitch or RubberNet)?
    > >
    > > I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
    > > we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
    > > monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
    > > you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering
    > > explain this behavior to you.

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
    > suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.
    >
    > The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
    > contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
    > displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.
    >
    > Thank you.

    AddressBookSourceSync is a 10.7 process. It's not running on my 10.6
    system. Definitely involve Apple in this. That's what AppleCare is
    for, IMO. You can't fix this sort of thing without sources and
    debugging.

    Michael Vilain, Oct 20, 2011
  6. In article <>,
    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > > > Not seen this behavior on my 10.6.8 Quadcore MacPro system. I don't
    > > > have as many entries in my Address Book as you do, but I do see
    > > > WebServices ballon to 2GB of memory allocation and deflate with usage.
    > > > The difference between previous versions of MacOS X and 10.6 is that the
    > > > virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
    > > > For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
    > > > workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
    > > > yours.
    > > >
    > > > What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
    > > > and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
    > > > iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
    > > > sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
    > > > Snitch or RubberNet)?
    > > >
    > > > I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
    > > > we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
    > > > monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
    > > > you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering
    > > > explain this behavior to you.

    > > Hi Michael,
    > >
    > > I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
    > > suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.
    > >
    > > The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
    > > contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
    > > displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > AddressBookSourceSync is a 10.7 process. It's not running on my 10.6
    > system. Definitely involve Apple in this. That's what AppleCare is
    > for, IMO. You can't fix this sort of thing without sources and
    > debugging.

    I contacted Apple via their website yesterday. They have scheduled a
    time this afternoon to contact by telephone.

    Thank you, again, for your advice. I will post again with the results
    of our telephone conversation.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 21, 2011
  7. In article <>,
    "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Michael Vilain <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > > > Hi Michael,
    > > >
    > > > I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
    > > > suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.
    > > >
    > > > The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
    > > > contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
    > > > displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you.

    > > AddressBookSourceSync is a 10.7 process. It's not running on my 10.6
    > > system. Definitely involve Apple in this. That's what AppleCare is
    > > for, IMO. You can't fix this sort of thing without sources and
    > > debugging.

    > I contacted Apple via their website yesterday. They have scheduled a
    > time this afternoon to contact by telephone.
    >
    > Thank you, again, for your advice. I will post again with the results
    > of our telephone conversation.

    Finally!

    Yesterday, I spent nearly three hours on the telephone with Apple. I
    spoke with four different persons. The final person was a Senior
    Advisor. The first two persons went out of their way to inform me that
    my fourteen month old iMac was out of warranty, but that they wanted to
    help me anyway. They added that if I called them again, they would
    charge me either $49.99 per hour or $49.99 per call (I don't remember).
    My rejoinder, both times, was: "I just purchased Lion. Lion is in
    warranty for another 86 days." Both persons responded with: "Oh, yea."

    I spent a lot of time on hold as the first three persons researched the
    problem. The third person ended up transferring me to the Senior
    Advisor. The SA was quite knowledgeable. She solved the problem in
    just about five minutes. She told me that Lion's Address Book now used
    CardDAV instead of the previous structure. As such, the OS needed to
    perform a conversion on my AB data. Occasionally, the conversion burped
    on a record. (My word, not Apple's.) This caused the
    AddressBookSourceSync process to become a runaway application. (Her
    exact words.) Her solution was to:

    - Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.

    - Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.

    - Reboot.

    - Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.

    - Click on Merge Data.

    This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
    just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

    I opened Activity Monitor and watched AB's memory usage for several
    hours. It was stable. AddressBookSourceSync never appeared. My
    speed-merchant iMac is a speed-merchant again.

    Michael, thank you for your suggestions.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 22, 2011
  8. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > - Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.
    >
    > - Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.
    >
    > - Reboot.
    >
    > - Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.
    >
    > - Click on Merge Data.
    >
    > This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
    > just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

    Were your groups restored as well?

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Tom Stiller, Oct 22, 2011
  9. In article <>,
    Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:
    >
    > > - Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.
    > >
    > > - Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.
    > >
    > > - Reboot.
    > >
    > > - Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.
    > >
    > > - Click on Merge Data.
    > >
    > > This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
    > > just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

    > Were your groups restored as well?

    Hi Tom,

    Yes, this procedure restored all of the AB Groups. Are you experiencing
    this problem? I'll tell you what, putting all of my Macs sluggishness
    behind me, and using a fast machine again sure is a good feeling.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 23, 2011
  10. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > - Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.
    > > >
    > > > - Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.
    > > >
    > > > - Reboot.
    > > >
    > > > - Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.
    > > >
    > > > - Click on Merge Data.
    > > >
    > > > This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
    > > > just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

    > > Were your groups restored as well?

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > Yes, this procedure restored all of the AB Groups. Are you experiencing
    > this problem? I'll tell you what, putting all of my Macs sluggishness
    > behind me, and using a fast machine again sure is a good feeling.

    I'm not having a problem but when I first installed iOS 5 and was
    experimenting with various options, I deleted all my contacts.
    I was able to restore all the contacts from a Time Machine backup (from
    within AB) but it didn't restore the groups.

    I recovered everything by opening the TM sparse bundle, selecting a
    backup from before the experimentation, and drag copying the appropriate
    folder to ~/Library/Application Support.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 23, 2011
  11. In article <>,
    Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > > > Were your groups restored as well?

    > > Hi Tom,
    > >
    > > Yes, this procedure restored all of the AB Groups. Are you experiencing
    > > this problem? I'll tell you what, putting all of my Macs sluggishness
    > > behind me, and using a fast machine again sure is a good feeling.

    > I'm not having a problem but when I first installed iOS 5 and was
    > experimenting with various options, I deleted all my contacts.
    > I was able to restore all the contacts from a Time Machine backup (from
    > within AB) but it didn't restore the groups.
    >
    > I recovered everything by opening the TM sparse bundle, selecting a
    > backup from before the experimentation, and drag copying the appropriate
    > folder to ~/Library/Application Support.

    If I add a group to AB on one Mac and then check my other Mac or my
    iPhone, then this new group will have appeared on these two devices and
    also in my iCloud AB, as I would expect.

    Kurt R. Todoroff, Oct 23, 2011
  12. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <> wrote:

    > > > Hi Tom,
    > > >
    > > > Yes, this procedure restored all of the AB Groups. Are you experiencing
    > > > this problem? I'll tell you what, putting all of my Macs sluggishness
    > > > behind me, and using a fast machine again sure is a good feeling.

    > > I'm not having a problem but when I first installed iOS 5 and was
    > > experimenting with various options, I deleted all my contacts.
    > > I was able to restore all the contacts from a Time Machine backup (from
    > > within AB) but it didn't restore the groups.
    > >
    > > I recovered everything by opening the TM sparse bundle, selecting a
    > > backup from before the experimentation, and drag copying the appropriate
    > > folder to ~/Library/Application Support.

    > If I add a group to AB on one Mac and then check my other Mac or my
    > iPhone, then this new group will have appeared on these two devices and
    > also in my iCloud AB, as I would expect.

    As it should.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 23, 2011
  13. Kurt R. Todoroff

    Guest

    Have you ever felt frustrated when lost precious data from your iPad/iPhone/iPod by accident? No matter why your data's in jeopardy, Dr.Fone for Mac can get it back easily.

    Watch the Video Demo : http://youtu.be/9dBPJ9aDqkc

    Dr.Fone for Mac

    The World's 1st Data Recovery program to recover lost photos, messages, contacts and more from your iOS devices directly even without backup. What's more, the program enables you to preview and extract iTunes backup files so that you can get back what your want from iOS devices backup files anytime as you like.

    • Directly recover lost or deleted files from iPhone 4/3GS, iPad 1 & iPodtouch 4
    • For all iOS Devices, including iPhone 4S/5, iPad mini, iPad with RetinaDisplay; via iTunes backup
    • Up to 12 file types, including SMS, contacts, photos, videos, notes, reminders, calendar and more
    • Get back data lost due to accidental or intentional deletion,iOS devicedamage or iOS crash

    More Info: http://www.total-data-recovery.com/Dr.Fone/Mac/

    , Apr 17, 2013