Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Aug 9, 2011.

  1. <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848>

    Summary
    The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant lets you create Lion Recovery on an
    external drive that has all of the same capabilities as the built-in Lion
    Recovery: reinstall Lion, repair the disk using Disk Utility, restore from
    a Time Machine backup, or browse the web with Safari. This drive can be
    used in the event you cannot start your computer with the built-in Recovery
    HD, or you have replaced the hard drive with a new one that does not have
    Mac OS X installed.
    Products Affected
    OS X Lion
    System requirements
    * A Mac running OS X Lion with an existing Recovery HD
    * An external USB hard drive or thumb drive with at least 1GB of free
    space
    How to use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant

    The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant will erase all data on the external drive
    when creating the Recovery HD. You should either backup your data before
    running the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant, or create a new partition on the
    external drive.
    If you need to create a new partition on the external disk
    Open Lion Recovery Disk Assistant and follow the on screen instructions to
    create a Recovery HD on the external drive.

    When the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant completes, the new partition will not
    be visible in the Finder or Disk Utility. To access the external Recovery
    HD, connect the drive, then restart the computer and hold the Option key.
    Select Recovery HD from the Startup Manager.
    Notes
    * If the computer shipped with Lion, the external recovery drive can
    only be used with the system that created it.
    * If the system was upgraded from Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard to Lion,
    the external recovery drive can be used with other systems that were
    upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion.
    Additional Information
    To download the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant, click here.
    <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433>

    About Lion Recovery Disk Assistant
    Built right into OS X Lion, Lion Recovery lets you repair disks or
    reinstall OS X Lion without the need for a physical disc.
    The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant lets you create Lion Recovery on an
    external drive that has all of the same capabilities as the built-in Lion
    Recovery: reinstall Lion, repair the disk using Disk Utility, restore from
    a Time Machine backup, or browse the web with Safari.
    Note: In order to create an external Lion Recovery using the Lion Recovery
    Assistant, the Mac must have an existing Recovery HD.
    To create an external Lion Recovery, download the Lion Recovery Disk
    Assistant application. Insert an external drive, launch the Lion Recovery
    Disk Assistant,  select the drive where you would like to install, and
    follow the on screen instructions.
    When the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant completes, the new partition will not
    be visible in the Finder or Disk Utility. To access Lion Recovery, reboot
    the computer while holding the Option key. Select Recovery HD from the
    Startup Manager.
    For detailed information on this update, please visit: About Lion Recovery
    Disk Assistant.
    Download:
    <http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1433/en_US/RecoveryDiskAssistant.dmg>

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, Aug 9, 2011

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Francois Guest

    Well, I didn't even know Lion carried this Recovery Disk Assistant.
    Thanks to your detailed post, I'll probably give it a try, but, you
    know, I've been happy for years with SuperDuper (to the point of rarely
    using Time Machine only to recover a file or so), that I don't feel it's
    such an important event ( like Lion itself BTW)

    Francois, Aug 19, 2011