    suggestions as to what I can do for a successful installation of XP Pro?

    Thanks.

    Mac

    Mac, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Mac

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Mac wrote:

    > Hello,
    >

    > I've Bought a used IBM ThinkPad and I'm trying to load XP Pro onto it. It
    > gets the restart stage and then it comes up with, "A Disk Read Error
    > Occurred" and it asks me to press CTRL ALT & DEL. The computer starts up and
    > then gets to the same message. Is there something I am doing wrong or any
    > suggestions as to what I can do for a successful installation of XP Pro?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mac

    I would say that possibly you bought an upgrade version of XP Pro
    rather then de facto version. Quite a difference in price.
    Any upgrade version will tell you right on the box what version must
    be in your computer in order for the upgrade to install properly.
    I had to have at least win98SE on my computer before I could use
    and install the "upgrade" version of WINXP/PRO. The upgrade
    went in just fine and dandy.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Mac

    MarkE Guest

    On Apr 16, 12:53 pm, "Mac" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've Bought a used IBM ThinkPad and I'm trying to load XP Pro onto it. It
    > gets the restart stage and then it comes up with, "A Disk Read Error
    > Occurred" and it asks me to press CTRL ALT & DEL. The computer starts up and
    > then gets to the same message. Is there something I am doing wrong or any
    > suggestions as to what I can do for a successful installation of XP Pro?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mac

    I had similar symptoms when installing XP Pro on my PC300GL -- try
    this:

    If you cannot boot fully into XP, reinstall it, but DON'T shutdown
    after it is fully installed and running. Go into "My Computer",
    "Properties", click on the "Advanced" tab, under "Startup and
    Recovery" click on "Settings" , deselect "Automatically restart."
    Shutdown and see if the problem still exists. It may still crash, but
    it won't ask you to continuously reboot. Mine worked fine after doing
    this and I had to install XP Pro three times before I figured it
    out ;-)

    MarkE, May 2, 2007
  4. Mac

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    On Wed, 2 May 2007, MarkE wrote:

    > On Apr 16, 12:53 pm, "Mac" <> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've Bought a used IBM ThinkPad and I'm trying to load XP Pro onto it. It
    >> gets the restart stage and then it comes up with, "A Disk Read Error
    >> Occurred" and it asks me to press CTRL ALT & DEL. The computer starts up and
    >> then gets to the same message. Is there something I am doing wrong or any
    >> suggestions as to what I can do for a successful installation of XP Pro?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Mac

    > I had similar symptoms when installing XP Pro on my PC300GL -- try
    > this:
    >
    > If you cannot boot fully into XP, reinstall it, but DON'T shutdown
    > after it is fully installed and running. Go into "My Computer",
    > "Properties", click on the "Advanced" tab, under "Startup and
    > Recovery" click on "Settings" , deselect "Automatically restart."
    > Shutdown and see if the problem still exists. It may still crash, but
    > it won't ask you to continuously reboot. Mine worked fine after doing
    > this and I had to install XP Pro three times before I figured it
    > out ;-)

    If your upgradeing to xp/pro from xp should be no problem.
    I bought the upgrade xppro disk and it required at least win98se
    to be already on the HD in order to install the upgrade.
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, May 3, 2007