    Wife's computer - big problem.

    Any help on this one?

    Thanks ahead of time.
    Teflon, Oct 21, 2009

  2. Teflon

    Teflon Guest

    On Oct 21, 1:47 pm, John Navas <> wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:10:40 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >Intending to use Bart PE cd, went in to BIOS, moved CD drive ahead of
    > >HDD in boot sequence.  Restarted system, then, as usual, gave the
    > >password to unlock the CPU, then entered the password for the disk
    > >drive - but it did not take.  Tried multiple times, but no go.

    > >Evidently the disk drive password is for the HDD and not the CD
    > >drive.

    > Correct.
    >
    > >I never assigned a password for the CD drive.  Can not get
    > >past this.

    > There is no CD password, just BIOS password and/or hard disk password.
    >
    > >Wife's computer - big problem.

    > >Any help on this one?

    > 1. Restore the original drive order.
    > 2. Stop messing around with things you don't understand --
    >    leave the system in factory configuration.

    Thanks John, while I was away, I got back into BIOS, restored the
    original BOOT sequence, rebooted, all OK. Went back into BIOS,
    changed boot sequence again (no fears, once I got over the initial
    shock of thinking I had screwed the pooch, and then found out it
    wasn't so). This time it booted from the BART PE CD OK. Could see
    the files in the Service Partition, saw what would appear to be the
    backup files with a .pcr extention. Since they were in the 9.6 GB
    Service Partition, it's possible they are not the culprits eating up
    space on the 14.5 GB System Partition, so I left them alone.

    I noted the Single File Restore folder was listed under My Computer,
    and not in C:. Could that be a duplicate listing of the files inside
    the Service Partition?

    I will install TVRR 4.2 and see if it will delete those files, and if
    it does, I'll see if it also frees up any space on C:

    John, if I didn't mess around with things I didn't understand, I
    wouldn't have any grandchildren. I've always enjoyed the challenge of
    computers - there is so much to learn. Sorry I'm getting on your
    nerves. Perhaps one of your other readers will step in and relieve
    you for awhile.

    Thanks for your help.
    Teflon, Oct 21, 2009

  3. Teflon

    Teflon Guest

    > >John, if I didn't mess around with things I didn't understand, I
    > >wouldn't have any grandchildren. .

    > With all due respect, you're going about it the wrong way.

    Maybe so, but the wife sure seemed to enjoy it.

    BTW, are you located in San Francisco's Castro area?
    Teflon, Oct 23, 2009
  4. Teflon

    Teflon Guest

    On Oct 23, 8:26 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:37:48 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
    > <> wrote in

    > >> With all due respect, you're going about it the wrong way.

    > >Maybe so, but the wife sure seemed to enjoy it.

    > Stooping to selective quotation -- I see I was right about you.

    Oh John, that was intended to be funny, to inject a bit of humor here,
    a mini-discussion even. Sorry you missed it.

    > >BTW, are you located in San Francisco's Castro area?

    > No.

    My mistake, thought I recognized the 'Castro' tone there.

    Note to all: The 'lock out' problem has been resolved, thanks to me,
    but thanks to any and all of you for your thoughts and suggestions.

    p.s. Did not realize this wasn't a support NG, so I'll just go back
    to monitoring and hopefully glean interesting/helpful info from all
    the scintillating discussions. Ciao.
    Teflon, Oct 23, 2009
  5. Teflon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:46:51 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >> On Oct 23, 8:26 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    >>> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    >>> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:37:48 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
    >>> <> wrote in

    >>> Stooping to selective quotation -- I see I was right about you.

    >> Oh John, that was intended to be funny, to inject a bit of humor
    >> here, a mini-discussion even. Sorry you missed it.

    >>> No.

    >> My mistake, thought I recognized the 'Castro' tone there.

    > Into the twit filter you go.

    Boy, you really do take yourself too bloody seriously.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 23, 2009
  6. Teflon

    Teflon Guest

    On Oct 23, 11:00 am, John Navas <> wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:46:51 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
    > <> wrote in
    > <>:

    > >Oh John, that was intended to be funny, to inject a bit of humor here,
    > >a mini-discussion even.  Sorry you missed it.

    > >> No.

    > >My mistake, thought I recognized the 'Castro' tone there.

    > Into the twit filter you go.

    John, I think you will enjoy Jr High, providing you ever get out of
    6th grade.
    Teflon, Oct 24, 2009