Long: 9NPA+Ultra Northbridge Fan Bad and PS2 Mouse Strangeness

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Margaret Wilson, Oct 23, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    The stock fan/heatsink on the Northbridge has been getting noisier for a
    while now. Last night it was sounding like a lawnmower. Although I
    built this machine and have changed out stock Northbridge fans before,
    I'm just not up to the task of dissembling my machine and replacing the
    fan right now, even though I have a Vantec Iceberg CCB-A1C (copper)
    still in its box. (Mom died very recently, and I'm busy with details.)

    Anyway, I couldn't stand the noise anymore, so I opened the side of the
    case and pulled the power connector to the offending fan. My machine is
    now quiet as a mouse, and Speedfan 4.31 is reporting normal temps. I
    normally leave my machine on 24/7, so I just want to see what the
    opinions are on leaving things alone (fan/heatsink in place but not
    running) for now. More details:

    Case is a Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB with an 80mm intake fan
    and a 120mm exhaust fan. Case door has a vent & duct but no fan on it.
    Other parts are:

    Epox 9NPA+Ultra (BIOS = 9npa6418, dated 04/2006)
    Athlon 64 3800+, stock heatsink and fan, no overclocking
    2x512MB Kingston HyperX DDR 400 (by SPD)
    GeForce 6600 with fan, no overclocking
    Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI adapter (w/ Acer 2720 slide scanner)
    Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
    NEC ND-3550A DVD writer
    Seagate 160GB SATAII drive
    Seagate 250GB SATA drive
    WD 320GB SATAII drive
    floppy drive
    Antec 480w True Blue PSU

    OS is Windows XP Pro SP2 with latest updates, no IE7, as I run Firefox
    1.507 and TB 1.5. OS was fairly recently installed using RyanVM's
    post-SP2 slipstream pack (v2.12). Nvidia drivers are Unified 6.86 (no
    Nvidia firewall or IDE drivers) and Forceware 91.47. Security software
    includes NOD32 AV, Spy Sweeper 5.0.7, Link Logger 2.4.7.11, IE Privacy
    Keeper 2.73, Spyware Blaster 3.51 and Windows Firewall. Firefox
    extensions include NoScript, IE Tab and AdBlock Plus. Machine has been
    thoroughly scanned with NOD32 and Spy Sweeper. I also have a Linksys
    WRT54G router (wireless turned off), running DD-WRT.

    External USB devices:
    APC Back_UPS RS 1500 (w/ PowerChute Personal 2.0)
    Seagate 250GB USB hard drive
    unpowered flash card reader
    Epson 1650 scanner (default Windows driver)
    HP DeskJet 5740 printer (default Windows driver)

    Monitor is a 19" LCD, and PS2 optical mouse and keyboard run through a
    Belkin KVM w/ audio. Speakers are inexpensive Altec Lansing (not USB)
    stereo with subwoofer.

    Mouse weirdness: As I said earlier, I usually run this
    machine 24/7, although I shut it off for a week when I was gone for the
    funeral, and a month before, also gone for a week. Each time when I
    returned and booted the machine, the PS2 mouse lights up but is not
    recognized by the OS. So I just left everything as it was and plugged
    in a USB optical mouse to get me by. (BTW, these are Microsoft optical
    mice with standard Windows drivers installed, no Intellipoint
    software.) I periodically reboot the machine, and one day I noticed
    that the PS2 mouse came alive. So I unplugged the USB mouse and
    continued happily computing. Once again when I returned the other day
    after having the machine powered off for a week, the PS2 mouse was
    unrecognized at boot. No amount of rebooting, power cycling, etc.,
    would get the mouse to work, even though it does light up. So again,
    I've plugged in the USB mouse, and all is fine. I checked all
    connections, and they are tight. I normally wouldn't ask this without
    first changing out cables, mice, KVM,etc., but I was just wondering if
    anyone had experienced this? I'm hoping one day the PS2 mouse just
    fires itself up again, but I'm confounded as to why this might happen.
    Just curious and a little frustrated. :)

    Sorry for the length of this post, and TIA for your comments.

    Regards,

    Margaret
    Margaret Wilson, Oct 23, 2006

  2. Margaret Wilson

    Chris Hill Guest

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:43:53 -0400, Margaret Wilson
    <> wrote:

> [...]
    >software.) I periodically reboot the machine, and one day I noticed
    >that the PS2 mouse came alive. So I unplugged the USB mouse and
    >continued happily computing. Once again when I returned the other day
    >after having the machine powered off for a week, the PS2 mouse was
    >unrecognized at boot. No amount of rebooting, power cycling, etc.,
    >would get the mouse to work, even though it does light up. So again,
    >I've plugged in the USB mouse, and all is fine. I checked all
    >connections, and they are tight. I normally wouldn't ask this without
    >first changing out cables, mice, KVM,etc., but I was just wondering if
    >anyone had experienced this? I'm hoping one day the PS2 mouse just
    >fires itself up again, but I'm confounded as to why this might happen.
    >Just curious and a little frustrated. :)
    >
    >Sorry for the length of this post, and TIA for your comments.

    I don't know where the board sensor is on it. I tried unplugging mine
    and I didn't like how hot the chip got. I'd turn it off when not in
    use and fix it when I got around to it.
    Chris Hill, Oct 24, 2006

  3. Chris Hill wrote:

    > I don't know where the board sensor is on it. I tried unplugging mine
    > and I didn't like how hot the chip got. I'd turn it off when not in
    > use and fix it when I got around to it.

    Chris, yes, you're right. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for your
    comments. I'll start turning the machine off at night till I can get it
    fixed.

    Regards,

    Margaret
    Margaret Wilson, Oct 25, 2006