long live the 503+

Discussion in 'FIC' started by farmuse, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. farmuse

    farmuse Guest

    Just finished building a computer based on the VA-503+ version 1.2a
    from several defunct or unused systems. The CPU was a K6 2 450, which I
    changed to a K6 III+ 450 once I noticed the BIOS was JE4333 APM and
    could run that CPU. I then added 2x 128 MB Crucial PC133 CAS 2 modules,
    a Promise Ultra 66 controller card, a Maxtor 7 GB drive, AWE 64 gold,
    NIC, and a still respectable Diamond S220 PCI graphics card. I didn't
    have any really good AGP cards that would have been good choices, but I
    may look for Rage Fury Pro later. I then enabled USB, loaded Windows 98
    SE, and then followed the suggested guidelines from an old friend from
    this newsgroup, Jim Navas, and also some from Bill Lahr. Mt first
    attempt was crap, I had forgot some of the tweaks you need to do to get
    this board running well, but then recalled I had some articles from 1998
    that Jim, Bill, and others had written and they helped a lot. Still not
    sure why USB has to be enabled, but it did make a difference. I run the
    double sided SDRAM at 100 MHz, CAS 2, fast speed, 4 bank interleave. The
    other tweak that made a difference was to disable write cache pipeline,
    because I was getting lockups when I defragmented the drive. Once write
    cache pipeline was disabled the L2 cache was fine, and the system could
    properly defragment. Overall the speed is VERY good. I also modded a
    dual USB cable set to work with the board, most are set up wrong for
    this particular board. I may also add another drive and dual boot to XP
    pro as some have said the 503+ runs XP just fine. I have run XP home
    with a 503A, no problems, so this should work too.

    I guess I just wanted to prove a 503+ could still get the job
    done, and would serve most users needs just fine. Not bad for a six year
    old motherboard ! Long live the 503+ !

    Cheers, John

    farmuse, Jul 27, 2005

  2. farmuse

    Roger Hunt Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, farmuse typed this :
    > Just finished building a computer based on the VA-503+ version 1.2a
    >from several defunct or unused systems. The CPU was a K6 2 450, which I
    >changed to a K6 III+ 450 once I noticed the BIOS was JE4333 APM and
    >could run that CPU. I then added 2x 128 MB Crucial PC133 CAS 2 modules,
    >a Promise Ultra 66 controller card, a Maxtor 7 GB drive, AWE 64 gold,
    >NIC, and a still respectable Diamond S220 PCI graphics card. I didn't
    >have any really good AGP cards that would have been good choices, but I
    >may look for Rage Fury Pro later.

    A Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 64MB goes well.
    >I then enabled USB, loaded Windows 98
    >SE, and then followed the suggested guidelines from an old friend from
    >this newsgroup, Jim Navas, and also some from Bill Lahr. Mt first
    >attempt was crap, I had forgot some of the tweaks you need to do to get
    >this board running well, but then recalled I had some articles from 1998
    >that Jim, Bill, and others had written and they helped a lot. Still not
    >sure why USB has to be enabled, but it did make a difference. I run the
    >double sided SDRAM at 100 MHz, CAS 2, fast speed, 4 bank interleave. The
    >other tweak that made a difference was to disable write cache pipeline,
    >because I was getting lockups when I defragmented the drive. Once write
    >cache pipeline was disabled the L2 cache was fine, and the system could
    >properly defragment. Overall the speed is VERY good. I also modded a
    >dual USB cable set to work with the board, most are set up wrong for
    >this particular board. I may also add another drive and dual boot to XP
    >pro as some have said the 503+ runs XP just fine. I have run XP home
    >with a 503A, no problems, so this should work too.

    It does, perfectly usable - I ran XP pro for a time on mine, shortly
    before the Terrible Disaster.
    > I guess I just wanted to prove a 503+ could still get the job
    >done, and would serve most users needs just fine. Not bad for a six year
    >old motherboard ! Long live the 503+ !

    It will never die! I can see it in years to come - the post applauding
    the performance of the twenty-five year old 503+
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Jul 28, 2005

  3. farmuse

    farmuse Guest

    Roger,

    what happened ? sounds bad, you don't live in London do you ?

    is that 4500 a Kryo chipset ? like it ? what version of Direct x is
    that card ? really the S220 is not bad for 2D, I am running 1024x 768 24
    bit and it is very sharp and fast. If you recall it uses a Rendition
    V2100 chipset and has 4 MB of fast SGRAM, in it's day the 3D was almost
    as good as 3Dfx. This computer won't be used for games much, more soho
    type stuff.

    farmuse, Jul 28, 2005
  4. farmuse

    Roger Hunt Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, farmuse typed this :
    > Roger,
    >
    > what happened ? sounds bad, you don't live in London do you ?

    The Great Disaster? No, not terrorists but a melt-down of my 503+.
    (Used to live in London and was bombed in 1981 anyway!)
    > is that 4500 a Kryo chipset ? like it ? what version of Direct x is
    >that card ?

    It's a KyroII chipset and if I recall, from a couple of years ago, I
    think it was a DX7 card, but ran OpenGL quite nicely.
    >really the S220 is not bad for 2D, I am running 1024x 768 24
    >bit and it is very sharp and fast. If you recall it uses a Rendition
    >V2100 chipset and has 4 MB of fast SGRAM, in it's day the 3D was almost
    >as good as 3Dfx. This computer won't be used for games much, more soho
    >type stuff.

    I've no experience of the S220 but it sounds pretty reasonable ... maybe
    keep it?

    I must go Googling ... either another 503+, or a PA-2013 would fit this
    spare case well. Have all the internals already, and a K6-2+/533 CPU
    sitting in a draw doing nothing.

    Cheers!
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Jul 28, 2005
  5. farmuse

    farmuse Guest

    sounds like a good plan Roger, put that cpu to use ! hey, the only
    glitch with this set up is the video goes to scrambled screen when
    windows powers down, wonder why ? like the refresh rate is not what the
    monitor likes. very strange, the monitor is multi-sync for sure, maybe a
    driver issue. these are the drivers that came with the card. the video
    BIOS is cached, I don't believe the 503+ is the issue. anyone have any
    ideas ?

    farmuse, Aug 1, 2005
  6. To my knowledge, the last set of reference drivers for the Rendition
    V2000/V2100 can be found here:

    http://www.micron.com/support/itg/v2x00.html

    Rendition was taken over by Micron a long time ago. They are beta
    drivers (version 3 beta 5), but something tells me you are not going to
    find an official release anytime soon. ;)

    You may also try the reconstituted Diamond Multimedia at
    http://www.diamondmm.com for drivers. They are probably older than the
    ones on the Micron site, but they may be newer than the ones that came
    with the card.

    For whatever it is worth, we have a Geforce 4 MX 420 AGP card running
    just fine on a VA-503A. It has very good DVD playback, even with a
    K6-III 350 (which has since been upgraded to K6-III+ 400 overclocked to
    550).

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Aug 2, 2005
  7. farmuse

    farmuse Guest

    thank you very much Alex, I had no idea Micron bought them out. I
    was wondering what happened to them !

    really it is a very good 2D card for what it is, and I will let
    you know how the newer driver works out. I am working on another K6 III
    and 503+ project, but the IRQ steering got corrupt, so I flashed the
    BIOS to JE439 and will try again. this one is for the mother-in-law who
    uses the computer for e mail and IM stuff. maybe store some images and
    back them up to CD. should do fine.

    thanks again, John

    farmuse, Aug 2, 2005
  8. farmuse

    farmuse Guest

    Thanks Alex, worked like a charm. Now the computer does not have a
    garbled screen on power off, and it displays the correct message in 98.
    Runs great, and I just about finished the second 503+ system for my
    mother-in-law. I know I am taking a risk, it had best work right !
    I could have gone the safe route with an more modern setup, but I like
    making something out of nothing, and so far I have almost $18 invested,
    and it comes with a nice 17 inch screen and a CD RW too, a good one.
    That one does not display the 98 message saying it is now safe to shut
    off your computer, so I have to troubleshoot that, but other than that
    and the not so hot FX-3D ISA sound card, it runs great. Thanks again for
    the help Alex.

    cheers, John

    farmuse, Aug 8, 2005
  9. farmuse

    Roger Hunt Guest

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, farmuse typed this :
    > Thanks Alex, worked like a charm. Now the computer does not have a
    >garbled screen on power off, and it displays the correct message in 98.
    >Runs great, and I just about finished the second 503+ system for my
    >mother-in-law. I know I am taking a risk, it had best work right !
    >I could have gone the safe route with an more modern setup, but I like
    >making something out of nothing, and so far I have almost $18 invested,
    >and it comes with a nice 17 inch screen and a CD RW too, a good one.
    >That one does not display the 98 message saying it is now safe to shut
    >off your computer, so I have to troubleshoot that, but other than that
    >and the not so hot FX-3D ISA sound card, it runs great. Thanks again for
    >the help Alex.

    The "It is safe to ..." message lives in the file ..\windows\logos.sys
    The "Windows is shutting down" message is ..\windows\logow.sys

    They are in fact 320w x 400h 256 colour bitmaps and the dimensions are
    correct, despite looking odd in mspaint.
    --
    Roger Hunt

    Roger Hunt, Aug 8, 2005
  10. farmuse

    Stanley Chu Guest

    I have 3 desktop and 1 notebook computers at home. The one built with
    VA-503+ is the most stable and it rarely crashes.

    "farmuse" <> ???
    news:eVCFe.9718$ ???...

    Stanley Chu, Aug 11, 2005