    thx
    bubu

    , Jun 11, 2008

  2. Rich Webb Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:22:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >does anybody know of a program/ script/tool to visualize memory
    >overlays (in an embedded system)??? Or even a program to analyze them?
    >Basically a tool which works on the map file and generates some
    >drawings!
    >Does MS Visual have such a feature?

    MS Visual (Studio, I assume) does not generally map onto embedded
    systems, with the exception of WinCE.

    You'll need to be more specific about what you're looking for, though.
    What drawings would you expect to be produced by or from executable
    code blocks? Or, are you looking for a way to extract bitmaps that may
    be sitting as "resources" inside a block of memory?

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Rich Webb, Jun 11, 2008

  3. On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:22:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >does anybody know of a program/ script/tool to visualize memory
    >overlays (in an embedded system)??? Or even a program to analyze them?
    >Basically a tool which works on the map file and generates some
    >drawings!

    Unfortunately, I do not understand the question.

    I have been working with various PDP-11 systems (64 KiB user address
    space) with various overlay loading systems for more than a decade or
    used overlay loading from disk in various 8086/88 systems, but I still
    do not understand what you are asking.

    Most embedded systems have quite large code space (several KiBs) in
    flash and very small data space (about 1 KiB) in RAM, but in order to
    use overlay loading effectively, you would need something like 8-64
    KiB RAM for loading the overlayed code branches into RAM for
    execution.

    Paul

    Paul Keinanen, Jun 11, 2008