Looking for a good setup I need suggestions, PLEASE

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by No one, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. No one

    No one Guest

    Hi,
    I am looking for a good X2 (either 939 or AM2) setup without having to break
    the bank....I have a Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra 939 with 1 Gig of Ram, AMD 64 3000+
    ATI AIW 9000 with 64 meg, SATA WD Boot drive, 2 DVD/CDRW burners, 450 watt
    Power Supply, with a 500 if I need it.

    Now the problem with just going to a 939 X2 proc, is this.....the MOBO has
    some bad DDR slots, I have to really play with the memory to get the machine
    to boot, once working tho...it works fine, but I don't like knowing I have
    bad DDR slots. SOOOO

    I want to build a new computer,(carrying over the drives and case) with
    better video, a dual core proc, motherboard, and maybe, just maybe......
    DDR2 memory.

    I want to do this on the cheap ...as far as possible, without loosing to
    much, I have come to realize that upgradeability if just BS, It never works,
    so I don't care if there is not an "upgrade path" for this setup.

    I looked at Newegg and found several options, but would like the opinions
    here. If possible I would like to keep the current memory. IF that will not
    slow it down too much.
    Want to spend around 400 or less....what do you guys think?
    TIA,
    John

    1. Advertising

  2. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:37:51 -0500, No one wrote:

    > Want to spend around 400 or less....what do you guys think?

    E6300 Core 2 Duo. It's actually cheaper than the X2 3800+ right now
    because of chips supply. And it's faster than the X2 3800+ and will
    overclock more. If you have a Fry's close by watch their ads. they had an
    E6300 with MB for $159 not long ago.

  3. asch

    asch Guest

    No one wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am looking for a good X2 (either 939 or AM2) setup without having to break
    > the bank....I have a Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra 939 with 1 Gig of Ram, AMD 64 3000+
    > ATI AIW 9000 with 64 meg, SATA WD Boot drive, 2 DVD/CDRW burners, 450 watt
    > Power Supply, with a 500 if I need it.
    >
    > Now the problem with just going to a 939 X2 proc, is this.....the MOBO has
    > some bad DDR slots, I have to really play with the memory to get the machine
    > to boot, once working tho...it works fine, but I don't like knowing I have
    > bad DDR slots. SOOOO
    >
    > I want to build a new computer,(carrying over the drives and case) with
    > better video, a dual core proc, motherboard, and maybe, just maybe......
    > DDR2 memory.
    >
    > I want to do this on the cheap ...as far as possible, without loosing to
    > much, I have come to realize that upgradeability if just BS, It never works,
    > so I don't care if there is not an "upgrade path" for this setup.
    >
    > I looked at Newegg and found several options, but would like the opinions
    > here. If possible I would like to keep the current memory. IF that will not
    > slow it down too much.
    > Want to spend around 400 or less....what do you guys think?
    > TIA,
    > John

    You should stay with 939 and keep your memory. You can get a nice x2
    plus more memory+ a nice MOBO for under 400. Keep an eye out for the
    AMD 4800 X2 :)