looking for advice on getting website noticed

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Frank, Jun 14, 2009.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Been over a year since I moved this website from my old dial up isp to
    Comcast:

    http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/Msds.html

    I had been with dialup isp for over 10 years and was getting maybe 2
    inquiries/month for my part time consulting service.

    Now with Comcast, I just did not get noticed or picked up by browsers. I
    think I've added only one new client in past year. I inquired Comcast
    ng group at time and someone suggested I get a site at 1&1 and I have
    done this:

    http://www.logullo.biz/Msds.html

    It's been less than a week and I submitted to Google and other free
    listers but not showing up on searches yet.

    I'm open to any advice from group. I'm retired and not looking for a
    ton or business but want to maintain or improve bit I have to keep
    professionally active.

    On the GW side, I noticed Best Buy is selling e machines but no GW's.
    Is our favorite computer maker now defunct? I remember the sale and
    bankruptcy.

    Frank

    Frank, Jun 14, 2009

  2. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On Jun 14, 2:23 pm, "Joan F \(MI\)" <>
    wrote:
    > I think you would get better results putting it on a job search site, try
    >  http://www.job-hunt.org/http://www.quintcareers.com/top_50_sites.html
    >
    > Frank wrote:
    >
    > | Been over a year since I moved this website from my old dial up isp to
    > | Comcast:
    > |
    > |http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/Msds.html
    > |
    > | I had been with dialup isp for over 10 years and was getting maybe 2
    > | inquiries/month for my part time consulting service.
    > |
    > | Now with Comcast, I just did not get noticed or picked up by
    > | browsers. I think I've added only one new client in past year.  I
    > | inquired Comcast ng group at time and someone suggested I get a site
    > | at 1&1 and I have done this:
    > |
    > |http://www.logullo.biz/Msds.html
    > |
    > | It's been less than a week and I submitted to Google and other free
    > | listers but not showing up on searches yet.
    > |
    > | I'm open to any advice from group.  I'm retired and not looking for a
    > | ton or business but want to maintain or improve bit I have to keep
    > | professionally active.
    > |
    > | On the GW side, I noticed Best Buy is selling e machines but no GW's.
    > | Is our favorite computer maker now defunct?  I remember the sale and
    > | bankruptcy.
    > |
    > | Frank

    Thanks but not quite what I'm looking for. I'm listed in other places
    like Linked In and my name pops up right away. Same with two groups I
    quit consulting for over a year ago. logullo.biz so far gets no hits.

    Frank, Jun 14, 2009

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On Jun 14, 2:23 pm, "Joan F \(MI\)" <>
    wrote:
    > I think you would get better results putting it on a job search site, try
    >  http://www.job-hunt.org/http://www.quintcareers.com/top_50_sites.html

    I had also posted this question to Comcast ng:
    alt . online-service . comcast
    Got responses far byond my expectations and readers may want to view
    thread.
    It appears my main problem was editing over the years from original
    HTML through gui with MS Word, Netscape, Open office etc. which all
    added crap to documents ballooning them to 10X what they needed to be
    and search engines were rejecting them.

    One respondent even took my main site and stripped it of all the
    useless HTML.

    Now I've got these sites cleaned up and hope they will get picked up.

    Frank

    Frank, Jun 16, 2009
  4. "Frank" <> wrote in message
    On Jun 14, 2:23 pm, "Joan F \(MI\)" <>
    wrote:
    > I think you would get better results putting it on a job search site, try
    > http://www.job-hunt.org/http://www.quintcareers.com/top_50_sites.html

    I had also posted this question to Comcast ng:
    alt . online-service . comcast
    Got responses far byond my expectations and readers may want to view
    thread.
    It appears my main problem was editing over the years from original
    HTML through gui with MS Word, Netscape, Open office etc. which all
    added crap to documents ballooning them to 10X what they needed to be
    and search engines were rejecting them.

    One respondent even took my main site and stripped it of all the
    useless HTML.

    Now I've got these sites cleaned up and hope they will get picked up.

    Frank

    Hi Frank,

    I am in a simular situation with a full time job, but still looking for
    a little better outside money. If you have the patients you can also do a
    daily scan on the likes of Craig's List and such. A ;lot of crap ads, but
    there are the occasional gems. I picked up a position as the local tech for
    an out of state company @ $75.00 per hr. I only work 3 to 5 hours a month
    for them, but along with my regular gig an a dozen or so other side jobs I
    get by.

    If variety it is the spice of life, this arraignment is some where between
    salsa and curry.

    KMC

    Kevin Childers, Jun 17, 2009
  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Kevin Childers wrote:
    > "Frank" <> wrote in message
    > On Jun 14, 2:23 pm, "Joan F \(MI\)" <>
    > wrote:
    >> I think you would get better results putting it on a job search site, try
    >> http://www.job-hunt.org/http://www.quintcareers.com/top_50_sites.html
    >>

    > I had also posted this question to Comcast ng:
    > alt . online-service . comcast
    > Got responses far byond my expectations and readers may want to view
    > thread.
    > It appears my main problem was editing over the years from original
    > HTML through gui with MS Word, Netscape, Open office etc. which all
    > added crap to documents ballooning them to 10X what they needed to be
    > and search engines were rejecting them.
    >
    > One respondent even took my main site and stripped it of all the
    > useless HTML.
    >
    > Now I've got these sites cleaned up and hope they will get picked up.
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > I am in a simular situation with a full time job, but still looking for
    > a little better outside money. If you have the patients you can also do a
    > daily scan on the likes of Craig's List and such. A ;lot of crap ads, but
    > there are the occasional gems. I picked up a position as the local tech for
    > an out of state company @ $75.00 per hr. I only work 3 to 5 hours a month
    > for them, but along with my regular gig an a dozen or so other side jobs I
    > get by.
    >
    > If variety it is the spice of life, this arraignment is some where between
    > salsa and curry.
    >
    > KMC

    Thanks. I'm not hurting and consulting work I have is pretty consistent
    at 2-4 days/month but most of it comes from one client who is solid now
    but who knows what the future may be. I was just hoping to get more
    inquiries from my internet websites. Now I think it was the new MS Word
    and Open Office editing that added boat anchor html to them keeping them
    out of the search engines. Using NVU or now KompoZer gives clean
    websites. Now I'm waiting to see if the search engines pick them up.
    If not, I'll blame my lose of grandfather status, i.e. my old sites were
    put out 15 years ago when the internet was in it's infancy compared to
    today.

    Frank, Jun 17, 2009