    I want up upgrade to a newer/faster system.

    Any ideas?

    Hanz

    Hanz, Feb 19, 2011

  2. Hanz

    Shaun Guest

    "Hanz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have the following:
    > 1. Intel DH57JG motherboard
    > 2. Intel Core I3-530 CPU
    > 3. 2BG DDR3-1333 RAM
    >
    > I want up upgrade to a newer/faster system.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > Hanz

    Well considering you have a Core i3 suggests that you didn't buy it all that
    long ago. Why don't you check to see if you can put a Core i5 in it. Then
    buy at least 4 GB of memory for it. Does that motherboard have on board
    video and sound? If it does then buy a decent video card for it. This way
    your not spending all that money for a new system, you just upgrade what you
    already have.

    Shaun

    Shaun, Feb 20, 2011

  3. Hanz

    Shaun Guest

    "Hanz" <> wrote in message
    >I have the following:
    > 1. Intel DH57JG motherboard
    > 2. Intel Core I3-530 CPU
    > 3. 2BG DDR3-1333 RAM
    >
    > I want up upgrade to a newer/faster system.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > Hanz

    Hey Hanz; here's the specs for your motherboard:
    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dh57jg/dh57jg-overview.htm

    It has onboard video, you could check the manual and see if you can add a
    better video card. You can put in a Core i5, and you can install 2 - 4GB
    memory sticks for a total of 8GB, you'll have to remove the old memory
    sticks and try to sell them. Maybe put in another hard drive for storing
    download as stuff.

    Hope this helps,

    Shaun

    Shaun, Feb 20, 2011
  4. Hanz wrote:
    > I have the following:
    > 1. Intel DH57JG motherboard
    > 2. Intel Core I3-530 CPU
    > 3. 2BG DDR3-1333 RAM
    >
    > I want up upgrade to a newer/faster system.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Before you even consider spending money, define what you mean by "faster." If
    you are held back by video you can upgrade that. If you are held up by CPU in
    compute bound jobs, you can upgrade that or maybe overclock. More memory will
    often make things faster, unless you have tiny compute bound job(s). And if disk
    is an issue, putting the stuff you use most on an SSD will be the cost effective
    first upgrade. And if you mean slow getting stuff off the net, monitor your
    actual transfer speed on the websites you actually use.

    Unless you want to just buy state of the art everything, and have the budget to
    do it, find out what's making your system slow and fix that first.

    You asked a very vague question, sorry if the answer isn't much better.

    Bill Davidsen, Feb 22, 2011