    currently-available board that would use the same CPU/memory?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 8, 2010

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):
    >Northbridge chip in said case's P4P800-E went up in smoke

    SHB "Southbridge chip..."
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 8, 2010

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    peter Guest

    http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469

    peter

    If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or
    disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting
    complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)

    peter, Jul 8, 2010
  4. Per peter:
    >http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469
    >
    >peter

    Thanks.

    From context I gather:

    1) Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4...
    i.e. they take the same CPU.

    2) They can all use the same kind of memory.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 8, 2010
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per peter:
    >> http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469
    >>
    >> peter

    > Thanks.
    >
    > From context I gather:
    >
    > 1) Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4...
    > i.e. they take the same CPU.
    >
    > 2) They can all use the same kind of memory.

    2) You check what it says in the advert, for memory
    type. Boards could be DDR or DDR2, depending on
    vintage. The chipset plays a part in that.

    The thing is, there is precious little difference
    between S478 and LGA775. LGA775 has more connections
    for core power and core ground, based on Intel's
    projections about where current flow was going for
    processors. They were using the leaky Prescott generation,
    as a prediction of future requirements. The reason
    I mention that, is to suggest that chipsets used
    with LGA775 socket, could just as easily be used
    with S478.

    So theoretically, you might be able to arrange to use
    any Netburst chipset, to run an S478 socket. For example,
    you might be able to grab an X48 with DDR3 and connect
    it to a S478 processor. But no motherboard manufacturer
    is going to consider that as a business case. They wouldn't
    sell enough boards to pay for the design engineer's time.

    In the page that Peter provided, the Biostar 945GC-M4
    is an example. The 945 came after the last group of
    S478 chipsets (865, 875) and the description says
    that board uses DDR2 memory. If your current memory
    in hand is DDR type, you'd need to buy new memory.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 8, 2010
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Puddin' Man Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:03:08 -0600, "peter" <> wrote:

    >http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469

    "Geeks" may or may not be a good source. I got one of their "refurb" usb
    kb/rodent packages last week, will return it in the next few days.
    Shipment was incomplete and the rodent is muy mucho (permanently) dead,
    kaput, and "pues muerto".

    A search on "478 motherboard" on Ebay yields 1,817 results, some of which
    look potentially viable. After I'd speced out a few popular boards, I'd
    be inclined to query sellers until I found >= one who sounded like s/he
    actually knew what they were selling ...

    Puddin' Man, Jul 9, 2010
  7. Per Puddin' Man:

    >"Geeks" may or may not be a good source. I got one of their "refurb" usb
    >kb/rodent packages last week, will return it in the next few days.
    >Shipment was incomplete and the rodent is muy mucho (permanently) dead,
    >kaput, and "pues muerto".

    I bought an Intel board from them before seeing your post.

    I would agree that they may not be the best source.

    To wit:

    - The board came with a rudimentary CD, but no manual, no
    pinouts, no diagram.... basically no nothing - and, to repeat,
    the CD was no prize. I finally doped out the front panel
    pinouts by trial and error without frying anything... but
    geeze...

    - First time I fired it up, a "Gateway" splash screen came up.
    Oops.... maybe this board isn't exactly plain-vanilla Intel?

    In Geeks' defense, I called their support line and:

    - A human being answered

    - Said human being spoke and understood standard English

    - Said human being was not just reading from a script,
    they actually thought the problem through and offered
    a workaround.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 26, 2010
  8. Per (PeteCresswell):
    >I called their support line and:

    I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
    drivers will not install.

    My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....

    Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
    have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
    uncomfortable......
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 26, 2010
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    Rob Guest

    > Per (PeteCresswell):
    >>I called their support line and:

    > I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
    > drivers will not install.
    >
    > My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....
    >

    > Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
    > have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
    > uncomfortable......

    Intel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
    a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
    You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.
    Can you identify which gateway model it is from?
    HTH,
    --
    Rob
    Rob, Jul 26, 2010
  10. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    >> Per (PeteCresswell):
    >>> I called their support line and:

    >> I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
    >> drivers will not install.
    >>
    >> My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....
    >>

    >> Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
    >> have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
    >> uncomfortable......

    > Intel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
    > a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
    > You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.
    > Can you identify which gateway model it is from?
    > HTH,

    If I look at this one, for example, it has a Gateway link for
    the drivers.

    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=D865GLCLK-PB&cat=MBB

    The Gateway link mentions several flavors of "Midway" motherboard. It
    could be an OEM used in a Gateway system.

    http://www.support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=2520852

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 26, 2010
  11. Per Rob:
    >ntel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
    >a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
    >You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.

    Good catch.

    It was something about ADI 1981B vs 1985.....

    The support guy at Geeks flipped me a link to the correct driver
    install and said install worked a-ok the first time.

    Going back to my criticism of Geeks, I would point out that,
    except for hold time, my experience with their support has been
    refreshingly excellent.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 26, 2010
  12. Per Puddin' Man:
    >There was truly all manner of difference between what they advertised and
    >what they shipped. All I needed to cross

    Sounds like their heart's in the right place but they need to vet
    their products more thoroughly.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Jul 27, 2010