Looking for DSP/BIOS driver for the SCIs in TI F2812 DSP

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Roberto Waltman, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. Can anybody direct me to a ready to use serial driver for F2812s
    integrated with the DSP/BIOS?

    Last time I checked TI's web site they provided only one application
    note for a different, older processor.

    Thanks,

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]

    1. Advertising

  2. Noway2

    Noway2 Guest

    Roberto Waltman wrote:
    > Can anybody direct me to a ready to use serial driver for F2812s
    > integrated with the DSP/BIOS?
    >
    > Last time I checked TI's web site they provided only one application
    > note for a different, older processor.

    Based on my experience with the F2812 and the DSP/BIOS, I don't really
    see the need for an off the shelf serial driver. To make matters
    worse, off the shelf drivers for the F2812 are somewhat limited in
    availability because of the lack of a board support package for the
    2000 series.

    The example code in the application notes will provide you with a fine
    starting point for working with the serial port both with and without
    interrupts. From that point, you can simply import the routines,
    modifided as desired, into your code and point the SCI interrupt in the
    DSP/BIOS configuration file to your RX and TX handler.

    If there is something specific that you are having trouble with or
    don't understand, I would be happy to try and answer your questions.
    There has also been a tremendous amount of discussion regarding use of
    the serial ports on the C2000 discussion group on TI's webpage which
    you may want to look at.

    1. Advertising

  3. "Noway2" wrote:
    >Roberto Waltman wrote:
    >> Can anybody direct me to a ready to use serial driver for F2812s
    >> integrated with the DSP/BIOS?

    >Based on my experience with the F2812 and the DSP/BIOS, I don't really
    >see the need for an off the shelf serial driver. To make matters
    >worse, off the shelf drivers for the F2812 are somewhat limited in
    >availability because of the lack of a board support package for the
    >2000 series.
    >
    >The example code in the application notes will provide you with a fine
    >starting point for working with the serial port both with and without
    >interrupts. From that point, you can simply import the routines,
    >modifided as desired, into your code and point the SCI interrupt in the
    >DSP/BIOS configuration file to your RX and TX handler.
    >
    >If there is something specific that you are having trouble with or
    >don't understand, I would be happy to try and answer your questions.
    >There has also been a tremendous amount of discussion regarding use of
    >the serial ports on the C2000 discussion group on TI's webpage which
    >you may want to look at.

    Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at that group. My needs (that
    I did not describe,) are simple and generic enough that I thought I
    may find a ready-to-run code snippet:

    We are developing an system running on 2812s. The hardware has RS232
    drivers hooked to SCIA. The final product will not use this serial
    interface at all, but I am using it now in a stand-alone test system
    that exercises only the software sections I am responsible for.
    The SCI driver I wrote works in polled mode, and provides the low
    level input/output functionality for a simple command interpreter.

    The real user interface is provided by a separate board in the system,
    that runs an embedded web server and talks with my board over CAN and
    a couple proprietary buses.

    We are now delivering a few boards for internal testing, meaning they
    will run in a standard configuration without being connected to the
    JTAG emulators we use for development, so I lose the ability to see
    (via the emulator) the status of internal variables that are not
    conveyed to the user through the html/web interface.

    I want to use the serial port in a temporary debug tool to restore the
    visibility of some system variables. (Mainly counters showing the
    activity of a communications subsystem. Number messages transmitted,
    received, decoded (un)successfully, etc.) I can not use my existing
    driver as-is because polling mode is not acceptable in this
    environment, it must be interrupt driven.

    So all I need is interrupt-driven SCI routines, (for a simple command
    interface a char at a time is enough, I can do my own buffering,) that
    are integrated with the DSP/BIOS. This meaning only that a task
    attempting to read will automatically block until data is available,
    or a task attempting to write will automatically block if the port is
    still transmitting previous data.

    I can (and now it seems I probably will,) write my own, but since the
    common stupid coding errors, misinterpretation of, or faulty
    information in, the documentation, etc. may turn this mini-project
    into something much longer than expected I was hopping to find an
    already coded and tested solution.

    Going off-topic, I really think TI should provide minimalist DSP/BIOS
    drivers like this for all on-board peripherals. I understand they will
    not answer to everybody's needs, but at least could be used as a
    starting point for customized code.

  4. Noway2

    Noway2 Guest

    Roberto Waltman wrote:
    > "Noway2" wrote:
    > >Roberto Waltman wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at that group. My needs (that
    > I did not describe,) are simple and generic enough that I thought I
    > may find a ready-to-run code snippet:
    > <snip>
    > So all I need is interrupt-driven SCI routines, (for a simple command
    > interface a char at a time is enough, I can do my own buffering,) that
    > are integrated with the DSP/BIOS. This meaning only that a task
    > attempting to read will automatically block until data is available,
    > or a task attempting to write will automatically block if the port is
    > still transmitting previous data.
    > <snip>

    There is an application note that deals with peripheral examples for
    the F2812, including the SCI. The SCI that they provide works in
    interrupt mode using the loopback built into the SCI module. Of
    course, you will need to disable the loopback (change the bit setting
    in the config register). You will also probably want to change the
    fill level settings on the FIFO to generate interrupts after the
    desired number of characters (I set mine up for one character). In the
    ..TCF file you then point the SCI interrupts to your routines, and
    enable the wrapper so your function can be C routines.

    If the sample application doesn't get you far enough or you run into
    trouble, let me know. We have the SCI routines working with the
    DSP/BIOSsuccessfully and I would be happy to share with you. You can
    contact me (offline of this newsgroup) via the email address that
    should show up in the header as it is valid.