    Motherboard Manufacturer's name - MSI MS-6577 v4.0 GL6E

    I think the part number is #5187-5651.

    Thanks for any help.

    fadeToblack, Jul 12, 2008

  2. fadeToblack

    Ben Myers Guest

    You do not need the exact HP part number. Most any garden variety Socket 478
    heat sink/fan will do. The motherboard has a garden-variety 3-pin power
    connector for the fan. The plastic retention bracket to which the heat sink/fan
    attaches is absolutely standard.

    You could do worse than install a standard Intel-branded heat sink/fan, although
    they are a pain in the ass to remove, if you ever need to do so. There are
    other options too.

    I replace original manufacturers' parts all the time with generic or otherwise
    comparable parts, and nobody is the worse for it. Not me. Not the computer.
    Not the owner, who gets quicker turnaround on a repair. For the most part, HP
    uses standard form factor parts in its towers, the exception being that the
    power supplies in some models are smaller than standard, yet another computer
    industry pain in the ass... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 12, 2008