Looking for laptop setup advice

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Bob, May 2, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hello

    I just purchased an off-lease HP Omnibook 6000 on eBay and am expecting it
    to arrive in a couple of days. The laptop will have no operating system
    installed. The company that sold it to me is a pretty reputable one, so I'm
    hoping I didn't get a lemon.

    Besides having my copy of Windows 2000 Professional handy, is there anythng
    else I should plan on having to do ?

    Should I be going to the HP web site and downloading drivers, for instance
    ?

    Anything else ?

    Thanks very much for your help.

    1. Advertising

  2. Tony Hwang

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I just purchased an off-lease HP Omnibook 6000 on eBay and am expecting it
    > to arrive in a couple of days. The laptop will have no operating system
    > installed. The company that sold it to me is a pretty reputable one, so I'm
    > hoping I didn't get a lemon.
    >
    > Besides having my copy of Windows 2000 Professional handy, is there anythng
    > else I should plan on having to do ?
    >
    > Should I be going to the HP web site and downloading drivers, for instance
    > ?
    >
    > Anything else ?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your help.

    Hi,
    Just make sure to get the W2K going, then download all the latest BIOS,
    drivers. I'd deal with BIOS and video driver first.
    I use W2K Sp4 and Linux on all my boxes.
    Works well.
    Good luck,
    Tony

    1. Advertising

  3. Joe Davis

    Joe Davis Guest

    Before loading the operating system, I'd try to use the setup tools to
    partition the drive, if possible. Otherwise, I'd consider getting a copy of
    Partition Magic and creating a second partition for all YOUR files--makes
    backing up a lot easier. You can do this at any time, but if you do it
    before you load a bunch of stuff, it will go faster.