    apparently functional.

    Thanks in advance for any
    and all help!
    Bruce Morgen, Nov 29, 2007

  2. Bruce Morgen

    T Shadow Guest

    "Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Picked up the card used and
    > had no trouble finding
    > drivers, but still looking
    > for some way to simply watch
    > TV -- DSCALER doesn't seem
    > to work even though all the
    > WDM drives are installed and
    > apparently functional.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any
    > and all help!

    I have a dual boot W98/W2K computer. ~6months ago lost capture device for
    AIW128PRO in both O/S. Thought it was a hardware problem. Recently
    reformatted the HDD. After reinstalling both O/S the capture device shows in
    W98 but not in W2K. Have a newer computer that I do video on so haven't
    bothered to try to figure out what's up. if your seeing the capture driver
    it should be ok.

    An ATI disc with MMC7.2 or MMC 7.7, depending on which AIW128 you have,
    would be ideal. It would also have the DVD decoder that never could be
    downloaded. Not impossible you could find the older versions of MMC on the
    web but a short Google search didn't find any.

    Free programs GB-PVR and Media Portal would be good to look at for
    supporting your card.
    T Shadow, Nov 29, 2007

  3. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    "T Shadow" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    >> Picked up the card used and
    >> had no trouble finding
    >> drivers, but still looking
    >> for some way to simply watch
    >> TV -- DSCALER doesn't seem
    >> to work even though all the
    >> WDM drives are installed and
    >> apparently functional.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any
    >> and all help!
    >>

    >I have a dual boot W98/W2K computer. ~6months ago lost capture device for
    >AIW128PRO in both O/S. Thought it was a hardware problem. Recently
    >reformatted the HDD. After reinstalling both O/S the capture device shows in
    >W98 but not in W2K. Have a newer computer that I do video on so haven't
    >bothered to try to figure out what's up. if your seeing the capture driver
    >it should be ok.
    >
    >An ATI disc with MMC7.2 or MMC 7.7, depending on which AIW128 you have,
    >would be ideal. It would also have the DVD decoder that never could be
    >downloaded. Not impossible you could find the older versions of MMC on the
    >web but a short Google search didn't find any.
    >
    >Free programs GB-PVR and Media Portal would be good to look at for
    >supporting your card.

    Thanks for the advice -- no
    joy so far, but I will keep
    on trying....
    Bruce Morgen, Nov 30, 2007
  4. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    Bruce Morgen <> wrote:

    >"T Shadow" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    >>> Picked up the card used and
    >>> had no trouble finding
    >>> drivers, but still looking
    >>> for some way to simply watch
    >>> TV -- DSCALER doesn't seem
    >>> to work even though all the
    >>> WDM drives are installed and
    >>> apparently functional.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any
    >>> and all help!
    >>>

    >>I have a dual boot W98/W2K computer. ~6months ago lost capture device for
    >>AIW128PRO in both O/S. Thought it was a hardware problem. Recently
    >>reformatted the HDD. After reinstalling both O/S the capture device shows in
    >>W98 but not in W2K. Have a newer computer that I do video on so haven't
    >>bothered to try to figure out what's up. if your seeing the capture driver
    >>it should be ok.
    >>
    >>An ATI disc with MMC7.2 or MMC 7.7, depending on which AIW128 you have,
    >>would be ideal. It would also have the DVD decoder that never could be
    >>downloaded. Not impossible you could find the older versions of MMC on the
    >>web but a short Google search didn't find any.
    >>
    >>Free programs GB-PVR and Media Portal would be good to look at for
    >>supporting your card.

    >Thanks for the advice -- no
    >joy so far, but I will keep
    >on trying....

    Finally found v7.2 -- and,
    remarkably, it works. Your
    help was vital -- thank you
    very much! No DVD support
    in the download I found,
    but I'm sure I'll find a
    way to get that done too.

    Much appreciated, sir!
    Bruce Morgen, Dec 1, 2007
  5. Bruce Morgen

    > Bruce Morgen <> wrote:
    >
    > >"T Shadow" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message

    > >>An ATI disc with MMC7.2 or MMC 7.7, depending on which AIW128 you have,
    > >>would be ideal. It would also have the DVD decoder that never could be
    > >>downloaded. Not impossible you could find the older versions of MMC on

    the
    > >>web but a short Google search didn't find any.
    > >>

    > >Thanks for the advice -- no
    > >joy so far, but I will keep
    > >on trying....

    > Finally found v7.2 -- and,
    > remarkably, it works. Your
    > help was vital -- thank you
    > very much! No DVD support
    > in the download I found,
    > but I'm sure I'll find a
    > way to get that done too.
    >
    > Much appreciated, sir!

    Great!
    The ATI program that installs the decoder checks to see if you have the disc
    for proof of ownership. Not really a problem Most other DVD player programs
    are better.

    7.2 is OK and way better than no program but 7.7 has actual TVoD. AFAIK it
    doesn't work with the standard AIW128 but does with the PRO. Worth at least
    some searching IMHO.

    This comes up 2-3 times a year. If you got it online sharing the link may
    help someone else.
    T Shadow, Dec 1, 2007
  6. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    "T Shadow" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    >> Bruce Morgen <> wrote:

    >the
    >> >>
    >> >Thanks for the advice -- no
    >> >joy so far, but I will keep
    >> >on trying....

    >> Finally found v7.2 -- and,
    >> remarkably, it works. Your
    >> help was vital -- thank you
    >> very much! No DVD support
    >> in the download I found,
    >> but I'm sure I'll find a
    >> way to get that done too.
    >>
    >> Much appreciated, sir!
    >>

    >Great!
    >The ATI program that installs the decoder checks to see if you have the disc
    >for proof of ownership. Not really a problem Most other DVD player programs
    >are better.
    >
    >7.2 is OK and way better than no program but 7.7 has actual TVoD. AFAIK it
    >doesn't work with the standard AIW128 but does with the PRO. Worth at least
    >some searching IMHO.
    >
    >This comes up 2-3 times a year. If you got it online sharing the link may
    >help someone else.

    I'm a bit paranoid that ATI
    might go after the Russian
    site hosting the file --
    but, here's that link:

    <http://driverscollection.com/?H=Multimedia%20Center&By=ATI>

    Thanks again!
    Bruce Morgen, Dec 1, 2007
  7. Bruce Morgen

    > I'm a bit paranoid that ATI
    > might go after the Russian
    > site hosting the file --
    > but, here's that link:
    >
    > <http://driverscollection.com/?H=Multimedia%20Center&By=ATI>
    >
    > Thanks again!

    If only ATI gave a crap :).
    T Shadow, Dec 1, 2007
  8. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    "T Shadow" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> I'm a bit paranoid that ATI
    >> might go after the Russian
    >> site hosting the file --
    >> but, here's that link:
    >>
    >> <http://driverscollection.com/?H=Multimedia%20Center&By=ATI>
    >>
    >> Thanks again!

    >If only ATI gave a crap :).

    I dunno, they seem so extreme
    not hosting host their own old
    software (as if it's of any
    use without old hardware?) I
    figured they might be extreme
    about protecting their
    copyrights too. Maybe I'm
    a tad paranoid.....
    Bruce Morgen, Dec 1, 2007
  9. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    Bruce Morgen <> wrote:

    >"T Shadow" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> I'm a bit paranoid that ATI
    >>> might go after the Russian
    >>> site hosting the file --
    >>> but, here's that link:
    >>>
    >>> <http://driverscollection.com/?H=Multimedia%20Center&By=ATI>
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again!

    >>If only ATI gave a crap :).

    >I dunno, they seem so extreme
    >not hosting host their own old
    >software (as if it's of any
    >use without old hardware?) I
    >figured they might be extreme
    >about protecting their
    >copyrights too. Maybe I'm
    >a tad paranoid.....

    Finally turned up (entirely
    by accident -- I was looking
    for information on the
    dreaded "MVD codec" problem)
    a downloadable MMC 7.7 here:

    <http://www.biline.ca/dl_files/MMC-7-7-0-1-noDVD.exe>
    Bruce Morgen, Dec 7, 2007
  10. Bruce Morgen

    > Bruce Morgen <> wrote:
    >

    > Finally turned up (entirely
    > by accident -- I was looking
    > for information on the
    > dreaded "MVD codec" problem)
    > a downloadable MMC 7.7 here:
    >
    > <http://www.biline.ca/dl_files/MMC-7-7-0-1-noDVD.exe>

    Interesting site. I only have a couple prerecorded VHS tapes so never
    bothered to get into it but I do keep files when I find them. Just in case.
    Probably the best article I've seen on Macrovision with the AIW. Still seems
    to be a PIA.

    He never mentions the capture chip. IIRC the AIW9000 had the Theater100 not
    the newer theater200.

    In case any one else is interested.
    http://www.biline.ca/ati_macrovision.htm
    T Shadow, Dec 7, 2007
  11. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    "T Shadow" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    >> Bruce Morgen <> wrote:
    >>

    >> Finally turned up (entirely
    >> by accident -- I was looking
    >> for information on the
    >> dreaded "MVD codec" problem)
    >> a downloadable MMC 7.7 here:
    >>
    >> <http://www.biline.ca/dl_files/MMC-7-7-0-1-noDVD.exe>
    >>

    >Interesting site. I only have a couple prerecorded VHS tapes so never
    >bothered to get into it but I do keep files when I find them. Just in case.
    >Probably the best article I've seen on Macrovision with the AIW. Still seems
    >to be a PIA.
    >
    >He never mentions the capture chip. IIRC the AIW9000 had the Theater100 not
    >the newer theater200.
    >
    >In case any one else is interested.
    >http://www.biline.ca/ati_macrovision.htm

    It doesn't look like MMC 7.7
    will fly with this antique --
    neither the 128 nor the 128
    Pro are listed as compatible.
    7.2 will have to do, and does
    quite nicely considering my
    low expectations. :)
    Bruce Morgen, Dec 8, 2007
  12. Bruce Morgen

    > "T Shadow" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    > >> Bruce Morgen <> wrote:
    > >>

    > >> Finally turned up (entirely
    > >> by accident -- I was looking
    > >> for information on the
    > >> dreaded "MVD codec" problem)
    > >> a downloadable MMC 7.7 here:
    > >>
    > >> <http://www.biline.ca/dl_files/MMC-7-7-0-1-noDVD.exe>
    > >>

    > >Interesting site. I only have a couple prerecorded VHS tapes so never
    > >bothered to get into it but I do keep files when I find them. Just in

    case.
    > >Probably the best article I've seen on Macrovision with the AIW. Still

    seems
    > >to be a PIA.
    > >
    > >He never mentions the capture chip. IIRC the AIW9000 had the Theater100

    not
    > >the newer theater200.
    > >
    > >In case any one else is interested.
    > >http://www.biline.ca/ati_macrovision.htm

    > It doesn't look like MMC 7.7
    > will fly with this antique --
    > neither the 128 nor the 128
    > Pro are listed as compatible.
    > 7.2 will have to do, and does
    > quite nicely considering my
    > low expectations. :)

    Your right. It's not supported. Basically means they wouldn't answer
    questions about their use together. But I've used it for years with the Pro
    after reading posts others were using it. Only thing I found that didn't
    work was Gamma. No big deal.

    AFAIK, and it's kind of odd, the Pro is closer to the original Radeon than
    the standard 128. So like I said the standard may/probably not/won't work
    Much to gain little to lose though. The full blown TVoD(PVR) is one of the
    best features of MMC. I've been using it with a P3-450 at reduced quality.
    T Shadow, Dec 9, 2007
  13. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    "T Shadow" <> wrote:

    >"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message
    >> "T Shadow" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Bruce Morgen" <> wrote in message

    >> >Interesting site. I only have a couple prerecorded VHS tapes so never
    >> >bothered to get into it but I do keep files when I find them. Just in

    >case.
    >> >Probably the best article I've seen on Macrovision with the AIW. Still

    >seems
    >> >to be a PIA.
    >> >
    >> >He never mentions the capture chip. IIRC the AIW9000 had the Theater100

    >not
    >> >the newer theater200.
    >> >
    >> >In case any one else is interested.
    >> >http://www.biline.ca/ati_macrovision.htm

    >> It doesn't look like MMC 7.7
    >> will fly with this antique --
    >> neither the 128 nor the 128
    >> Pro are listed as compatible.
    >> 7.2 will have to do, and does
    >> quite nicely considering my
    >> low expectations. :)
    >>

    >Your right. It's not supported. Basically means they wouldn't answer
    >questions about their use together. But I've used it for years with the Pro
    >after reading posts others were using it. Only thing I found that didn't
    >work was Gamma. No big deal.
    >
    >AFAIK, and it's kind of odd, the Pro is closer to the original Radeon than
    >the standard 128. So like I said the standard may/probably not/won't work
    >Much to gain little to lose though. The full blown TVoD(PVR) is one of the
    >best features of MMC. I've been using it with a P3-450 at reduced quality.

    Well, right you are -- again!
    Despite the dire non-support
    warnings, v7.7 works fine.
    Haven't tried recording, but