    Toshiba, etc.?

    Thanks.

    IS.

    IS, Aug 17, 2004

  2. IS

    JHEM Guest

    JHEM, Aug 17, 2004

  3. "JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
    news:8xqUc.7079$...
    > IS <> wrote:
    > >
    > > So my question:
    > > How is IBM?
    > > Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
    > > Toshiba, etc.?

    > For a PC laptop, IBM is first and _ALL_ the others come in (at best!) a
    > distant second.
    >
    > Yes, I'm biased.
    >
    > http://www.epinions.com/content_124404403844
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/IBM_ThinkPad_T40/4505-3121_7-20947059-2.html

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > James
    >
    > Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

    I don't think I'm as biased, but I would agree that IBM comes in first, and
    anything else would be second.

    I've had to support many brands of laptops, and IBM machines always gave us
    the least amount of problems, and my experience was that their support was
    better.

    Cleveland Tech, Aug 17, 2004
  4. IS

    j647 Guest

    Does it have a touch pad or that eraser thing? The eraser thing would keep
    me away from IBM.

    j647, Aug 18, 2004
  5. IS

    Bob Guest

    IBM has both the touchpad and eraserhead.In my opinion neither gets in the
    way of the other. Use either or......

    Bob, Aug 18, 2004
  6. IS

    IS Guest

    It's got both.

    Thanks.

    IS.

    IS, Aug 18, 2004
  7. IS

    Sparky Guest

    IS wrote:

    > I've been shopping like crazy for a new laptop and it looks like IBM is the
    > only one that can give me all I want.
    > It comes in at only 4.9 lbs with 14" screen and 64 Mb video un shared and
    > Intel Centrino. With Win XP Pro.
    > At 1851 USD.
    > Beautiful ! ! !
    >
    > So my question:
    > How is IBM?
    > Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
    > Toshiba, etc.?

    I like them a lot. My first laptop was a budget i-series (i-1200), which
    was fine for my purposes for about 3 years. By 09/2003 I needed more
    oomph and got an R40 (2897-54U) with an Intel 1.3 Centrino chip, 512MB
    RAM, 15" screen, 40 GB HDD, etc., etc. Cost about $1,500 + an additional
    256MB stick of RAM (IBM was running a promotion at the time). It's been
    great and is really quick with a 7200RPM HDD. <knocking on wood> Haven't
    had a hint of a problem with either.

    Sparky, Aug 18, 2004
  8. "Cleveland Tech" typed:
    > I don't think I'm as biased, but I would agree that IBM comes in first, and
    > anything else would be second.
    >
    > I've had to support many brands of laptops, and IBM machines always gave us
    > the least amount of problems, and my experience was that their support was
    > better.

    Besides, Linux works a treat on IBM laptops. Out of experience, I can
    speak for the T21, at the least.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan
    root@t21:~# rm -rf /mnt/windows/*

    Ayaz Ahmed Khan, Aug 18, 2004
  9. Bob <> wrote:
    > IBM has both the touchpad and eraserhead.In my opinion neither gets in the
    > way of the other. Use either or......

    'eraser pads' are bustable. I will not have another laptop that yses
    one. Note I'm sure your milage will vary. Mine is just busted and
    useless at present and it seems it would be easier if I had a touchpad.

    Mark E. Daniel, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Re: Looks like it's IBM / Eraserhead problems?

    Have a lot of you had problems with the eraserhead on the IBMs (Thinkpads),
    or is it just that you don't like to use them. Personally, I'm no big fan of
    eraserheads, but the one on my IBM is the one of the better I've tried.

    So is it a known problem that these stop working after a while?

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Myklebust, Aug 18, 2004
  11. IS

    Sparky Guest

    Benjamin Myklebust wrote:

    > Have a lot of you had problems with the eraserhead on the IBMs (Thinkpads),
    > or is it just that you don't like to use them. Personally, I'm no big fan of
    > eraserheads, but the one on my IBM is the one of the better I've tried.

    I love mine & have disabled the touchpad.

    Sparky, Aug 18, 2004
  12. Re: Looks like it's IBM / Eraserhead problems?

    "Sparky" <> wrote in message
    > Benjamin Myklebust wrote:
    >
    > > Have a lot of you had problems with the eraserhead on the IBMs

    (Thinkpads),
    > > or is it just that you don't like to use them. Personally, I'm no big

    fan of
    > > eraserheads, but the one on my IBM is the one of the better I've tried.

    > I love mine & have disabled the touchpad.

    I like mine more and more, actually. But I don't have a touchpad on the T22,
    so I would be in some trouble if the eraserhead failed on me. My trusty
    Logitech optical USB mouse is with me most of the time though.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Myklebust, Aug 18, 2004
  13. IS

    Guest

    "Benjamin Myklebust" <> wrote:

    >Have a lot of you had problems with the eraserhead on the IBMs (Thinkpads),
    >or is it just that you don't like to use them. Personally, I'm no big fan of
    >eraserheads, but the one on my IBM is the one of the better I've tried.
    >
    >So is it a known problem that these stop working after a while?
    >
    >Benjamin

    I have only had a 600E and an A31 but I like the eraser heads to the extent
    I will choose it over my wife's laptop for web browsing.

    I did have a Tosh with an eraser head which was crap but this was with a
    286 CPU and Laptops have improved a lot since that era (also loads cheaper
    now)

    No problems to report the 600E is in use on a vinyl cutting machine (very
    large plotter with a knife) and is used in a warehouse every day. Works
    fine.

    , Aug 18, 2004
  14. IS

    * * Chas Guest

    Re: Looks like it's IBM / Eraserhead problems?

    I've owned IBMs since 1995. I currently have 4 of them with Track Points
    (Erasers) plus an older Sony with a Touchpad. I get used to either system
    after a few minutes but prefer to use an excellent Sony laptop USB wheel
    mouse whenever possible.

    I've seen very few reports Track Point problems over the past 9+ years of
    following laptop newsgroups.

    The high end ThinkPads are the choice of most corporations that's why
    prices have remained high. They also have the best resale value.

    Traditionally, Toshiba was a close 2nd to IBM and Dell had the price
    position in the corporate market. Dell's quality seems to have improved a
    lot in the past few years.
    --
    Chas. (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

    * * Chas, Aug 19, 2004
  15. IS

    JHEM Guest

    > Mark E. Danielwrote:
    'eraser pads' are bustable. I will not have another laptop that yses
    one. Note I'm sure your milage will vary. Mine is just busted and
    useless at present and it seems it would be easier if I had a
    touchpad.
    Touchpads are just as "bustable" as a Trackpoint, more so IME.

    I've never seen a broken Trackpoint that couldn't be cured with a
    simple keyboard replacement.

    Regards,

    James

    ==============

    JHEM, Aug 19, 2004
  16. IS

    JHEM Guest

    Re: Looks like it's IBM / Eraserhead problems?

    > Benjamin Myklebustwrote:
    Have a lot of you had problems with the eraserhead on the IBMs
    (Thinkpads),
    > or is it just that you don't like to use them. Personally, I'm no

    big fan of
    > eraserheads, but the one on my IBM is the one of the better I've

    tried.

    > So is it a known problem that these stop working after a while?

    Define "After a while"? No, there's no known problem with their
    wearing out (there's no moving parts, they're just strain gauges) or
    having more problems than other pointing devices.

    I've got several 9 year old Thinkpads with Trackpoints that work just
    fine.

    Regards,

    James

    ==============

    JHEM, Aug 19, 2004
  17. IS

    SinghaLvr Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:15:07 -0400, Cleveland Tech wrote
    (in article <%OsUc.2325$>):

    > Subject: Re: Looks like it's IBM
    > From: "Cleveland Tech" <>
    > Date: Tuesday 3:15 PM
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
    >

    > "JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
    >> IS <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> So my question:
    >>> How is IBM?
    >>> Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
    >>> Toshiba, etc.?

    >> For a PC laptop, IBM is first and _ALL_ the others come in (at best!) a
    >> distant second.
    >>
    >> Yes, I'm biased.
    >>
    >> http://www.epinions.com/content_124404403844
    >>
    >> http://reviews.cnet.com/IBM_ThinkPad_T40/4505-3121_7-20947059-2.html

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> James
    >>
    >> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
    >>

    > I don't think I'm as biased, but I would agree that IBM comes in first, and
    > anything else would be second.
    >
    > I've had to support many brands of laptops, and IBM machines always gave us
    > the least amount of problems, and my experience was that their support was
    > better.

    I'll third that.

    I own a late model: Dell, Toshiba and 2 IBMs. By far the IBM is the highest
    quality, most trouble free brand with the best support. Toshiba has decent
    quality, but it's like a Pontiac vs. a Cadillac. The Dell works fine, but
    has shoody construction and horrific support (as of late). As for HP ...
    there is a reason I got rid of it. :)

    SinghaLvr, Aug 20, 2004
  18. IS

    SinghaLvr Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:23:05 -0400, j647 wrote
    (in article <JjxUc.175171$>):

    > Subject: Re: Looks like it's IBM
    > From: "j647" <>
    > Date: Tuesday 8:23 PM
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.laptops
    >
    > Does it have a touch pad or that eraser thing? The eraser thing would keep
    > me away from IBM.

    That's one of the reasons I love IBM.

    If they are going to put a touchpad they might as well leave it off because
    I'll need to hook up a mouse anyway.

    SinghaLvr, Aug 20, 2004
  19. IS

    Alun Guest

    Re: Looks like it's IBM / Eraserhead problems?

    -spam.invalid (JHEM) wrote in

    >> Benjamin Myklebustwrote:

    > Have a lot of you had problems with the eraserhead on the IBMs
    > (Thinkpads),
    >> or is it just that you don't like to use them. Personally, I'm no big
    >> fan of eraserheads, but the one on my IBM is the one of the better
    >> I've tried.
    >>
    >> So is it a known problem that these stop working after a while?

    > Define "After a while"? No, there's no known problem with their
    > wearing out (there's no moving parts, they're just strain gauges) or
    > having more problems than other pointing devices.
    >
    > I've got several 9 year old Thinkpads with Trackpoints that work just
    > fine.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > James
    >
    > Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
    >
    > ==============
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.

    I've never had a problem with the trackpoints on my IBMs, but my dad had
    problems with one on a Fujitsu laptop. I'm not crazy about them, but the
    IBM version seems to be reliable.

    Alun, Aug 21, 2004
  20. Re: Looks like it's IBM / Eraserhead problems?

    "Alun" typed:

    > I've never had a problem with the trackpoints on my IBMs, but my dad had
    > problems with one on a Fujitsu laptop. I'm not crazy about them, but the
    > IBM version seems to be reliable.

    Just the other day I felt the eraserhead on my refurbished T21 had sunk
    into the keyboard. The following day I realised it was just me.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan
    http://fast-ce.org/linux

    Ayaz Ahmed Khan, Aug 21, 2004