    his claws do the job.

    how do I click it back on? (no. seven key on a T 43).

    thanks,
    Lol, Nov 29, 2010

  2. You don't. I accidentally popped off a cap once. Glad the ThinkPad was
    still in warranty. Lenovo sent me a new keyboard.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 29, 2010

  3. Lol

    Lol Guest

    I was lucky - I found I just had to line it up and press firmly and
    squarely!
    Lol

    Lol, Nov 30, 2010
  4. On 2010-11-30, Lol <> wrote:

    > I was lucky - I found I just had to line it up and press firmly and
    > squarely!
    > Lol

    I thought that was standard on laptop keyboards, I've done it on several
    machines without problems, e.g. to clean under the key.

    --
    Anthony Campbell -
    Anthony Campbell, Dec 1, 2010
  5. Whew! Mine came off in four pieces, consisting of the keycap itself, a
    couple of odd-shaped plastic pieces (one black and one white), and an
    odd-shaped piece of metal. If I'd had an electron microscope and a couple
    of nano-manipulators, I might've been able to put it back together, as
    nothing was obviously broken.

    Tom Rutherford, Dec 1, 2010
  6. "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote in message
    > Whew! Mine came off in four pieces, consisting of the keycap itself, a
    > couple of odd-shaped plastic pieces (one black and one white), and an
    > odd-shaped piece of metal. If I'd had an electron microscope and a couple
    > of nano-manipulators, I might've been able to put it back together, as
    > nothing was obviously broken.

    I've experienced several of those events in the last few years.

    You really have to scrutinize the details to get anywhere. Sometimes, if
    you pull of another similar shaped keycap, you can reverse-engineer the
    assembly.But that's very risky because tits are easily broken off. And you
    really have to see at a distance of about 4" which calls for + 3.00
    reading glasses if you are not really nearsighted (-5.00 bare eyes
    preferred).

    In short the key support is a "crutch" of a crossed white and black
    H-frames with tits, one on each of four bottom corners. This crutch must be
    removed from the keycap. Don't loose that keycap! On the keyboard key
    position, the white tits go into the slots just below the middle. The black
    tits go in the very top slot. The blue silicone elastomer seats inside this
    crutch, with its dimple facing a hole on the top of the crutch. Properly
    mounted, sans keycap, this is stable and can be pressed down neatly to make
    a keystroke.

    Plan A: All tits intact and slipped into their respective receiving
    slots:

    Power down the computer. Next, hold the keycap over the mounted crutch
    in proper alignment. Note that there are four tabs inside the keycap, and
    four mating slots in the top crutch cross-bars. There is a tint tit at the
    center bottom of the keycap that will mate to the hole in the crutch.

    Position the cap - centered - over the crutch. Then press downward very
    gently as if to make a keystroke, all the while making certain that the
    keycap is properly centered in its position in relation to all surrounding
    keys. eventually, as you press harder.. wiggling slightly... to several
    ounces of pressure, all four keycap tabs will "snap" into their slots,
    sometimes one or two at a time.

    That's a lucky good reinstallation.

    Plan B: You broke one or more tits and the crutch won't stabilize in
    place any more.

    Ersatz solution: Cut a 2" long piece of 1/2" wide scotch tape,
    preferably clear tape. Center the keycap over its rightful key with crutch
    pieces in place (no longer tethered by all four tits). Depress the key to
    assure that the blue elastomer is entering in the crutch and the keycap
    correctly; letter response should be normal before proceeding.

    Next, lower the center of the 1/2" wide scotch tape over the center of
    the keycap. Center both ways carefully an align with the key row. Press the
    tape center to the wounded keycap first. Then make a shallow droop between
    the left and right adjacent keys. Then tap the remaining ends of the tape
    onto the adjacent keys right and left.

    The wounded keycap won't be lost, typing will be almost normal, and you
    will then have a "vintage" keyboard. Right now, I have FIVE keys just like
    that!

    Angelo Campanella, W8EDR.
    Angelo Campanella, Dec 2, 2010
  7. "Angelo Campanella" <> wrote in message

    > "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote in message
    >> Whew! Mine came off in four pieces, consisting of the keycap itself, a
    >> couple of odd-shaped plastic pieces (one black and one white), and an
    >> odd-shaped piece of metal. If I'd had an electron microscope and a
    >> couple of nano-manipulators, I might've been able to put it back
    >> together, as nothing was obviously broken.

    > I've experienced several of those events in the last few years.
    >
    > You really have to scrutinize the details to get anywhere. Sometimes,
    > if you pull of another similar shaped keycap, you can reverse-engineer the
    > assembly.But that's very risky because tits are easily broken off. And you
    > really have to see at a distance of about 4" which calls for + 3.00
    > reading glasses if you are not really nearsighted (-5.00 bare eyes
    > preferred).
    >
    > In short the key support is a "crutch" of a crossed white and black
    > H-frames with tits, one on each of four bottom corners. This crutch must
    > be removed from the keycap. Don't loose that keycap! On the keyboard key
    > position, the white tits go into the slots just below the middle. The
    > black tits go in the very top slot. The blue silicone elastomer seats
    > inside this crutch, with its dimple facing a hole on the top of the
    > crutch. Properly mounted, sans keycap, this is stable and can be pressed
    > down neatly to make a keystroke.
    >
    > Plan A: All tits intact and slipped into their respective receiving
    > slots:
    >
    > Power down the computer. Next, hold the keycap over the mounted crutch
    > in proper alignment. Note that there are four tabs inside the keycap, and
    > four mating slots in the top crutch cross-bars. There is a tint tit at the
    > center bottom of the keycap that will mate to the hole in the crutch.
    >
    > Position the cap - centered - over the crutch. Then press downward very
    > gently as if to make a keystroke, all the while making certain that the
    > keycap is properly centered in its position in relation to all surrounding
    > keys. eventually, as you press harder.. wiggling slightly... to several
    > ounces of pressure, all four keycap tabs will "snap" into their slots,
    > sometimes one or two at a time.
    >
    > That's a lucky good reinstallation.

    I don't think I had any broken tits, but good Gawd, I'd just as soon pay my
    $50 or whatever a new keyboard costs, and replace the whole thing, if the
    machine is out of warranty.

    > Plan B: You broke one or more tits and the crutch won't stabilize in
    > place any more.
    >
    > Ersatz solution: Cut a 2" long piece of 1/2" wide scotch tape,
    > preferably clear tape. Center the keycap over its rightful key with crutch
    > pieces in place (no longer tethered by all four tits). Depress the key to
    > assure that the blue elastomer is entering in the crutch and the keycap
    > correctly; letter response should be normal before proceeding.
    >
    > Next, lower the center of the 1/2" wide scotch tape over the center of
    > the keycap. Center both ways carefully an align with the key row. Press
    > the tape center to the wounded keycap first. Then make a shallow droop
    > between the left and right adjacent keys. Then tap the remaining ends of
    > the tape onto the adjacent keys right and left.
    >
    > The wounded keycap won't be lost, typing will be almost normal, and you
    > will then have a "vintage" keyboard. Right now, I have FIVE keys just like
    > that!

    As long as it works, that's all that matters. Sounds like it'll eventually
    fail, though, and you're back to squinting and swearing again. :)

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    Tom Rutherford, Dec 4, 2010