Loss of sound in win98se after upgrading

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Nick, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Hi, I recently upgraded my computer with a 2400+ athlon and the ASroc
    K7S8X motehrboars. I have 256mb ram and Windows 98 second edition.
    After installing the sound drivers, i can get CD's to play but no
    sound from within windows. When i goto control panel - multimedia- the
    audio page is greyed out. Under multimedia devices in the audio and
    midi sections the driver is lited but has "driver enabled but
    inactive".
    Have also tried disabling onboard sound and then using a soundblaster
    live card again same problem. Though the creative diagnostics toll
    passes the hardware but fails all the drivers even though they all
    appear to have been installed ok?
    Have also installed clean os each time.
    As a side note while playing about in desperation I went to the
    hardware installed the Microsoft kernal audio mixer and kernal system
    rendere and the another microsoft kernal driver and this caused the
    recording part of control panel - multimedia -audio to become
    ungreyed and listed the sound device. So not sure wether it is a
    microsoft or motherboard or sound driver problem?
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Nick

    Nick, Jul 7, 2003