    refresh the icons and that has no effect.

    Thanks,
    Scotty
    Scotty, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Scotty

    georgie Guest

    Scotty wrote:
    > snip...
    > What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix this. I'm guessing that
    > there is some folder where all these icons are stored. I tried to have it
    > refresh the icons and that has no effect.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scotty

    You could try deleting the file IconCache.db
    http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/l0806/39l06/39l06.asp

    I've also seen a similar problem fixed (but OS was Win ME) by
    right-click desktop, choose active desktop, choose large size icons,
    reboot, and then go back and choose normal smaller size icons.

    georgie
    georgie, Jul 29, 2006

  3. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    Well the funny part is it is gradually fixing itself over a period of time.
    Right now I have half of the icons back, but it is piecemeal at how it is
    doing it. I've tinkered with some of the setting in the Control Panel and
    noticed that any new icons are correctly shown on the desktop. It just
    might take a long time to do all of them.

    Scotty

    Scotty, Jul 29, 2006
  4. Scotty

    Guest Guest

    You can restore the "My computer icon" and others to your desktop by going
    to "my computer" in the start menu and right clicking on them and selecting
    "show on desktop"

    Guest, Jul 29, 2006
  5. I actually tried this because I thought that would restore them. What it
    did was hide and unhide all the desktop icons. What finally fixed the
    problem was going under "Display Properties" then 'Appearance' and then
    'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then click 'OK'. That
    restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large. Then you repeat the
    process and disable the large icons and click okay and then apply and your
    good to go. The only bad thing was the order was scattered now because of
    my desktop icon settings.

    Scotty Silton, Jul 29, 2006
  6. What finally fixed the problem was going under "Display Properties" then
    'Appearance' and then 'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then
    click 'OK'. That restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large.
    Then you repeat the process and disable the large icons and click okay and
    then apply and your good to go. The only bad thing was the order was
    scattered now because of my desktop icon settings.

    Thanks for your suggestion since that did work, just differently.

    Scotty

    Scotty Silton, Jul 29, 2006
  7. Scotty

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Scotty Silton" <> wrote in message
    >I actually tried this because I thought that would restore them. What it
    >did was hide and unhide all the desktop icons. What finally fixed the
    >problem was going under "Display Properties" then 'Appearance' and then
    >'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then click 'OK'. That
    >restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large. Then you repeat the
    >process and disable the large icons and click okay and then apply and your
    >good to go. The only bad thing was the order was scattered now because of
    >my desktop icon settings.

    I suspect you'll see this again, and I wonder if the system resources aren't
    being taxed to a point that the icons are very slow in refreshing themselves
    and their associations.
    S.Lewis, Jul 30, 2006
  8. Scotty Silton wrote:
    > What finally fixed the problem was going under "Display Properties" then
    > 'Appearance' and then 'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then
    > click 'OK'. That restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large.
    > Then you repeat the process and disable the large icons and click okay and
    > then apply and your good to go. The only bad thing was the order was
    > scattered now because of my desktop icon settings.

    IIRC TweakUI (a Microsoft Powertoy) has a "Rebuild Icons" option, which
    might have been the optimal fix.
    Sparky Spartacus, Jul 30, 2006
  9. Scotty

    Hank Arnold Guest

    That was going to be my recommendation. A "must have" in ones
    toolbox........

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Jul 30, 2006
  10. Scotty

    Rich Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:54:10 -0400, "Scotty Silton"
    <> wrote:

    >What finally fixed the problem was going under "Display Properties" then
    >'Appearance' and then 'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then
    >click 'OK'. That restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large.
    >Then you repeat the process and disable the large icons and click okay and
    >then apply and your good to go. The only bad thing was the order was
    >scattered now because of my desktop icon settings.
    >
    >Thanks for your suggestion since that did work, just differently.
    >
    >Scotty
    >
    >"georgie" <> wrote in message
    >> Scotty wrote:
    >>> snip...
    >>> What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix this. I'm guessing
    >>> that
    >>> there is some folder where all these icons are stored. I tried to have
    >>> it
    >>> refresh the icons and that has no effect.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Scotty

    >> You could try deleting the file IconCache.db
    >> http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/l0806/39l06/39l06.asp
    >>
    >> I've also seen a similar problem fixed (but OS was Win ME) by
    >> right-click desktop, choose active desktop, choose large size icons,
    >> reboot, and then go back and choose normal smaller size icons.
    >>
    >> georgie

    glad you got them back, scottie. i found, installed and use a
    freeware piece called 'icon restore' that allows me to save the icon
    layout and recall same if needed. works fine on my XP PROsp2 box.

    <http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html>
    <http://www.download.com/3000-2347-10163500.html>

    73,
    rich, n9dko