    What I'm wondering here is what is the root cause of this problem. The
    card, like I mentioned, is a very old, original SB Live! The receiver is
    a cheap Technics SA-EX300. Any ideas on what the failing element is here?

    Nick, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Nick

    CJT Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > I wanted to hook up my PC with an original Sound Blaster Live! to my
    > Technics receiver, but when I do, I get a loud buzzing sound coming from
    > the speakers, no matter what input is selected on the receiver. I
    > thought it was the cables I was using so I bought some shielded cables
    > which helped a little, but not much.
    >
    > What I'm wondering here is what is the root cause of this problem. The
    > card, like I mentioned, is a very old, original SB Live! The receiver is
    > a cheap Technics SA-EX300. Any ideas on what the failing element is here?

    The problem is likely that the safety ground to your computer has
    somehow been compromised. You have it plugged into a three-prong
    outlet (assuming you're in the U.S.), right?

    There is also the possibility of a ground loop. Disconnect your cable
    TV box (if it's connected to the stereo) and try plugging the computer
    into the same outlet the stereo is plugged into.

    CJT, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Nick

    Avidous Guest

    I remember having the same problem with my SB Live 5.1 and Audigy. It did it
    with both my basic surround sound speakers and my receiver. I tried to go
    via the Optical output, and that helped a little, but I did end up replacing
    the mainboard (the onboard audio was causing feedback).

    Avidous, Jul 26, 2003
  4. Nick

    Reddy Guest

    I had the same problem and it drove me absolutely nuts trying to find a
    solution about three years ago. Computer was wired into my receiver that
    was also wired up to the home theatre, TV, the works. When I unplugged my
    cablevision it stopped. Had the cable guy out, talked to stereo people, AV
    installers etc etc no luck.

    The $15 solution was at radio shack called a ground loop isolator. They are
    common solutions found at car audio suppliers as well. Got one upstairs and
    downstairs and not a peep.

    I ended up finding the solution (after a lot of searching and frustration)
    on the internet at someguys website related to audio problems. Bless this
    man!

    I'll put money down that this will fix your problem. Age of the card or the
    stereo is not the problem.

    good luck!

    Reddy, Jul 31, 2003
  5. Nick

    Marq Guest

    What is a ground loop isolator? I don't have a radio shack where I live.
    What does it look like/what does it do?

    Marq, Aug 29, 2003
  6. Nick

    Snowbat Guest