    (which according to reviews should run fairly cool), have only one
    optical drive, one HD and use the on-board graphics card?

    Thanks
    rob, Jun 4, 2006

  2. rob

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "rob"
    <> wrote:

    > I have purchased a shuttle (something like g-61, I think) because it
    > supposedly is very quiet. Indeed the power supply is super quiet as
    > advertised. The problem is that the fan connected to the heat pipe is
    > supper loud. It's actually no wonder because when I touch the heat pipe
    > it is really hot. So I wonder if I am missing something despite the
    > fact that I did buy a supposedly almost silent computer, a P4 2.8Ghz
    > (which according to reviews should run fairly cool), have only one
    > optical drive, one HD and use the on-board graphics card?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you want "laptop quiet", use laptop components. Pentium-M
    is not a cheap processor, but it does have a low thermal output.
    Too bad more products are not offered with this processor as
    their basis.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 4, 2006

  3. rob

    rob Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <>, "rob"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have purchased a shuttle (something like g-61, I think) because it
    > > supposedly is very quiet. Indeed the power supply is super quiet as
    > > advertised. The problem is that the fan connected to the heat pipe is
    > > supper loud. It's actually no wonder because when I touch the heat pipe
    > > it is really hot. So I wonder if I am missing something despite the
    > > fact that I did buy a supposedly almost silent computer, a P4 2.8Ghz
    > > (which according to reviews should run fairly cool), have only one
    > > optical drive, one HD and use the on-board graphics card?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > If you want "laptop quiet", use laptop components. Pentium-M
    > is not a cheap processor, but it does have a low thermal output.
    > Too bad more products are not offered with this processor as
    > their basis.
    >
    > http://www.silentpcreview.com/article218-page1.html

    Paul,

    I agree that a Pentium M certainly might help. Nevertheless, I know it
    can be done without such measures. Just look at Dell. Their Precision
    670 workstation is a dual CPU beast running at a fairly high clock
    rates and they are d... quiet. If my Shuttle with one lowly 2.8GHz P4
    is considerably louder then the 670 there certainly must be something
    wrong.
    rob, Jun 4, 2006
  4. rob

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, rob
    says...
    > I have purchased a shuttle (something like g-61, I think) because it
    > supposedly is very quiet. Indeed the power supply is super quiet as
    > advertised. The problem is that the fan connected to the heat pipe is
    > supper loud. It's actually no wonder because when I touch the heat pipe
    > it is really hot. So I wonder if I am missing something despite the
    > fact that I did buy a supposedly almost silent computer, a P4 2.8Ghz
    > (which according to reviews should run fairly cool), have only one
    > optical drive, one HD and use the on-board graphics card?

    Many shuttle users replace the stock fan with an aftermarket one from
    places such as quietpc.com

    Have a look at these forums. They're an excellent resource for anyone
    with a Shuttle.

    http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewforum/4/

    --
    Conor,
    Grumpy Old Man.
    Conor, Jun 4, 2006
  5. rob

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "rob"
    <> wrote:

    > Paul wrote:
    > > In article <>, "rob"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have purchased a shuttle (something like g-61, I think) because it
    > > > supposedly is very quiet. Indeed the power supply is super quiet as
    > > > advertised. The problem is that the fan connected to the heat pipe is
    > > > supper loud. It's actually no wonder because when I touch the heat pipe
    > > > it is really hot. So I wonder if I am missing something despite the
    > > > fact that I did buy a supposedly almost silent computer, a P4 2.8Ghz
    > > > (which according to reviews should run fairly cool), have only one
    > > > optical drive, one HD and use the on-board graphics card?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    > > If you want "laptop quiet", use laptop components. Pentium-M
    > > is not a cheap processor, but it does have a low thermal output.
    > > Too bad more products are not offered with this processor as
    > > their basis.
    > >
    > > http://www.silentpcreview.com/article218-page1.html

    > Paul,
    >
    > I agree that a Pentium M certainly might help. Nevertheless, I know it
    > can be done without such measures. Just look at Dell. Their Precision
    > 670 workstation is a dual CPU beast running at a fairly high clock
    > rates and they are d... quiet. If my Shuttle with one lowly 2.8GHz P4
    > is considerably louder then the 670 there certainly must be something
    > wrong.

    If you take Conor's advice, and install a quieter fan, how
    hot is your processor currently ? Try running a 100% computing
    load, and see how hot your processor gets (use Prime95 or
    CPUburn). If there is not much room between your processor
    temperature and 70C, you might not be able to use a much
    slower quieter fan. I.e. If the processor was 43C, maybe you
    could cut the fan speed in half. If it was 55C-60C, selecting
    the next slowest fan might result in you getting too close
    to 70C.

    To know what shape your cooling is in, we need to know:

    room temp, case temp, and CPU temp, while there is a
    100% computing load on the CPU, like Prime95 or CPUBurn.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Jun 4, 2006
  6. rob

    John McGaw Guest

    rob wrote:
    > I have purchased a shuttle (something like g-61, I think) because it
    > supposedly is very quiet. Indeed the power supply is super quiet as
    > advertised. The problem is that the fan connected to the heat pipe is
    > supper loud. It's actually no wonder because when I touch the heat pipe
    > it is really hot. So I wonder if I am missing something despite the
    > fact that I did buy a supposedly almost silent computer, a P4 2.8Ghz
    > (which according to reviews should run fairly cool), have only one
    > optical drive, one HD and use the on-board graphics card?
    >
    > Thanks

    First thing to check is in the BIOS to ensure that the computer is set
    to automatically control the fan speed. That won't necessarily be
    automatically enabled. Also, have you installed Shuttle's XPC tools? I'm
    not absolutely certain but suspect that your system should be
    compatible. My old Shuttle SB65G2 with a P4 3.0 is certainly relatively
    quiet -- under load my P4 2.0 WinBook notebook is noisier than the Shuttle.

    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]
    John McGaw, Jun 4, 2006