Low cost, easy programmable logic controller?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Joerg, Oct 24, 2004.

  1. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hi Folks,

    Is there an easy and low cost PLC unit? Something around $100 or less?

    The reason I ask is home use. When you install a PLC to, say, control
    pool equipment then it has to be nearly as easy to understand as
    programming a lawn sprinkler unit. Sure, we should all be able to
    program it but some day a house might be sold and then the new owners
    may not be so versed in that field. At least they should be able to find
    someone locally to program it.

    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com

    1. Advertising

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    > Is there an easy and low cost PLC unit? Something around $100 or less?
    >
    > The reason I ask is home use. When you install a PLC to, say, control
    > pool equipment then it has to be nearly as easy to understand as
    > programming a lawn sprinkler unit. Sure, we should all be able to
    > program it but some day a house might be sold and then the new owners
    > may not be so versed in that field. At least they should be able to find
    > someone locally to program it.

    You may try:
    http://web6.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware

    The 05 units are low cost - but then you have to buy the programming
    software, etc.

    Regards,
    Richard.

    http://www.FreeRTOS.org

    1. Advertising

  3. Tilmann Reh

    Tilmann Reh Guest

    Joerg schrieb:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Is there an easy and low cost PLC unit? Something around $100 or less?

    Siemens "LOGO" or Moeller "Easy", if they are sufficient (few I/Os only).

    --
    Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
    Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

  4. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Tilmann,

    >Siemens "LOGO" or Moeller "Easy", if they are sufficient (few I/Os only).

    Many thanks. These look great. Despite quite some searching I couldn't
    identify a local sales outlet near Sacramento with prices and all. The
    Siemens web site wasn't much help either but that doesn't surprise me
    anymore. So, I sent a request to Siemens.

    German companies often have great products but when it comes to sales on
    a more local level that's another matter. Even our weatherproof Kettler
    ping pong table took us half a day to find. The purchase of stuff from
    the teutonic regions doesn't just require money but at times also a lot
    of persistence.

    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com

  5. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hi Richard,

    >You may try:
    >http://web6.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware
    >
    >The 05 units are low cost - but then you have to buy the programming
    >software, etc.

    Thanks. The SW for the 05 is just $99 which is reasonable. But you need
    cables and stuff where I don't understand why they don't provide memory
    stick programming or some other more practical approach. Dragging a
    laptop to the location of a PLC seems kind of antiquated.

    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com

  6. j.b. miller

    j.b. miller Guest

    I had a LOGO unit here the other day,said what a neat unit but I had no use
    for it. Manuals from the web said sw built into it.tried it out ,said, yeah
    OK, but had no use for it, tossed it out.
    Oh well.....someday I gotta clean out both basement,the garage and the shop.

  7. hamilton

    hamilton Guest

    You will find out that PLC controllers are built for those who don't
    know how to program or understand electricity.

    So what you don't understand is how they ( PLC people ) do buisness.

    Sad but true.

    PLCs are a way of life, tho its the lowest form.

    Joerg wrote:
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    >> You may try:
    >> http://web6.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware
    >>
    >> The 05 units are low cost - but then you have to buy the programming
    >> software, etc.
    >>

    > Thanks. The SW for the 05 is just $99 which is reasonable. But you need
    > cables and stuff where I don't understand why they don't provide memory
    > stick programming or some other more practical approach. Dragging a
    > laptop to the location of a PLC seems kind of antiquated.
    >
    > Regards, Joerg
    >
    > http://www.analogconsultants.com

  8. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hi Hamilton,

    > You will find out that PLC controllers are built for those who don't
    > know how to program or understand electricity.

    Well, they must at least be able to connect it right and program it via
    a PC.

    > So what you don't understand is how they ( PLC people ) do buisness.

    That is true. I don't know why it is next to impossible to buy these
    things a regular hardware stores. There are plenty of applications where
    you need the ruggedized performance of PLC and the use of a PC isn't
    possible. It's no big deal to roll your own with a uC but then you have
    yet another 'island solution' instead of using standard hardware.