Low density RAM for BE6 II v2.0 question

Discussion in 'Abit' started by gonif, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. gonif

    gonif Guest

    Hi all,

    I recently ordered a stick of 256MB low density RAM for my BE6 II v2.0
    motherboard. Actually, it's a v1.2 that I flashed to 2.0, but as I
    understand it the hardware is identical to the 2.0 version. Anyway, the
    memory didn't work; the computer only recognized 128MB of it. It looks
    like it *should* work, it is Kingston PC-133 memory with 8 chips on each
    side.

    I was wondering -- could BIOS settings have anything to do with certain
    RAM sticks not being recognized? I flashed the BIOS with the 72_2351
    image off of Tom's FTP site, and it is possible that whoever made the
    BIOS changed some default settings. When I phoned the memory supplier,
    they were surprised that it didn't work (they knew that the 440BX needs
    low density RAM) and asked if my BIOS was updated.

    Thanks for any info,

    Jeff

    1. Advertising

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "gonif" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently ordered a stick of 256MB low density RAM for my BE6 II v2.0
    > motherboard. Actually, it's a v1.2 that I flashed to 2.0, but as I
    > understand it the hardware is identical to the 2.0 version. Anyway, the
    > memory didn't work; the computer only recognized 128MB of it. It looks
    > like it *should* work, it is Kingston PC-133 memory with 8 chips on each
    > side.
    >
    > I was wondering -- could BIOS settings have anything to do with certain
    > RAM sticks not being recognized? I flashed the BIOS with the 72_2351
    > image off of Tom's FTP site, and it is possible that whoever made the
    > BIOS changed some default settings. When I phoned the memory supplier,
    > they were surprised that it didn't work (they knew that the 440BX needs
    > low density RAM) and asked if my BIOS was updated.
    >
    > Thanks for any info,

    The physical layout of the chips is not a guarantee that the
    dimm is organized into two banks of 128MB, as opposed
    to one 256MB bank. The BX chipset is limited to 128MB
    per bank.

    If you want dimms that will definitely work, here's one:
    http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E

    1. Advertising

  3. Wes Newell

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:00:50 -0800, gonif wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently ordered a stick of 256MB low density RAM for my BE6 II v2.0
    > motherboard. Actually, it's a v1.2 that I flashed to 2.0, but as I
    > understand it the hardware is identical to the 2.0 version. Anyway, the
    > memory didn't work; the computer only recognized 128MB of it. It looks
    > like it *should* work, it is Kingston PC-133 memory with 8 chips on each
    > side.
    >
    > I was wondering -- could BIOS settings have anything to do with certain
    > RAM sticks not being recognized? I flashed the BIOS with the 72_2351
    > image off of Tom's FTP site, and it is possible that whoever made the BIOS
    > changed some default settings. When I phoned the memory supplier, they
    > were surprised that it didn't work (they knew that the 440BX needs low
    > density RAM) and asked if my BIOS was updated.

    Low density ram cost morethan double times as much as high density does
    these days, so if unless you paid over $50 for it, it probably wasn't low
    density.. It should be configured as 16 x 8. If it's not 16x 8 it's
    probably not going to work. Here's one that should work. I told you they
    aren't cheap.:)

    http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=88-130-258 [Detail Specs]

    It's cheaper just to buy twice what you want in regular ram and just use
    half of it. When my brother wanted to add ram to his old MSI board that
    reuires LD ram, they wanted $80 locally for either 128M or 256M, don't
    recall. I gave him an old HD 128M stick for $10 to use as 64M. If you can
    get by with 128M, just use a standard 256M.

    http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message news:p...

    > Low density ram cost morethan double times as much as high density does
    > these days, so if unless you paid over $50 for it, it probably wasn't low
    > density.. It should be configured as 16 x 8. If it's not 16x 8 it's
    > probably not going to work. Here's one that should work. I told you they
    > aren't cheap.:)
    >
    > http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=88-130-258 [Detail Specs]
    >
    > It's cheaper just to buy twice what you want in regular ram and just use
    > half of it. When my brother wanted to add ram to his old MSI board that
    > reuires LD ram, they wanted $80 locally for either 128M or 256M, don't
    > recall. I gave him an old HD 128M stick for $10 to use as 64M. If you can
    > get by with 128M, just use a standard 256M.

    eBay can be a cheap source for these dimms... Several months
    ago I paid $30 total for three 256MB CL2 Infineon dimms for
    a BF6 (it was branded as Compaq memory). A few auctions
    are now going for the Crucial dimms I referenced earlier.

  5. Alan Jones

    Alan Jones Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:34:13 -0800, "Tom" <> wrote:

    >"gonif" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I recently ordered a stick of 256MB low density RAM for my BE6 II v2.0
    >> motherboard. Actually, it's a v1.2 that I flashed to 2.0, but as I
    >> understand it the hardware is identical to the 2.0 version. Anyway, the
    >> memory didn't work; the computer only recognized 128MB of it. It looks
    >> like it *should* work, it is Kingston PC-133 memory with 8 chips on each
    >> side.
    >>
    >> I was wondering -- could BIOS settings have anything to do with certain
    >> RAM sticks not being recognized? I flashed the BIOS with the 72_2351
    >> image off of Tom's FTP site, and it is possible that whoever made the
    >> BIOS changed some default settings. When I phoned the memory supplier,
    >> they were surprised that it didn't work (they knew that the 440BX needs
    >> low density RAM) and asked if my BIOS was updated.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info,

    >The physical layout of the chips is not a guarantee that the
    >dimm is organized into two banks of 128MB, as opposed
    >to one 256MB bank. The BX chipset is limited to 128MB
    >per bank.
    >
    >If you want dimms that will definitely work, here's one:
    >http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E

    I'm in similar situation. I have a BP6, with the BX440 chip set
    running at 100Mhz. I originally wanted the ECC RAM, but because of
    the tight memory market at the time, I bought it with 128M of non ECC
    RAM. OVer time, I added two more 128M DIMMs, in very low cost deals.
    Now increasing RAM meant paying very high prices for 256M DIMMS and
    discarding an old 128M DIMMs.

    Fortunately, a friend gave me some old RAM, two Acer(?) 256M DIMMS,
    and four Micron 256M DIMMs. Both are 133Mhz, CAS2, Reg. ECC with 9
    RAM chips on each side. The BP6 sees all of the Acer RAM and only 128M
    of the Micron memory, so I'm now running with 640M of ECC memory.

    The Micron DIMM is MT18LSDT3272G-13EE1 PC133R-222-542-81. These are
    packaged in pairs. I've seen the data sheet, but I don't really see
    if I should be able to use all 256M or not with the BX440 chip set.
    Are there any preferred BIOS settings? Is there any reason not to
    simply use it as 128M additional RAM in my BP6?

  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Alan Jones" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:34:13 -0800, "Tom" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"gonif" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> I recently ordered a stick of 256MB low density RAM for my BE6 II v2.0
    > >> motherboard. Actually, it's a v1.2 that I flashed to 2.0, but as I
    > >> understand it the hardware is identical to the 2.0 version. Anyway, the
    > >> memory didn't work; the computer only recognized 128MB of it. It looks
    > >> like it *should* work, it is Kingston PC-133 memory with 8 chips on each
    > >> side.
    > >>
    > >> I was wondering -- could BIOS settings have anything to do with certain
    > >> RAM sticks not being recognized? I flashed the BIOS with the 72_2351
    > >> image off of Tom's FTP site, and it is possible that whoever made the
    > >> BIOS changed some default settings. When I phoned the memory supplier,
    > >> they were surprised that it didn't work (they knew that the 440BX needs
    > >> low density RAM) and asked if my BIOS was updated.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any info,

    > >The physical layout of the chips is not a guarantee that the
    > >dimm is organized into two banks of 128MB, as opposed
    > >to one 256MB bank. The BX chipset is limited to 128MB
    > >per bank.
    > >
    > >If you want dimms that will definitely work, here's one:
    > >http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E

    > I'm in similar situation. I have a BP6, with the BX440 chip set
    > running at 100Mhz. I originally wanted the ECC RAM, but because of
    > the tight memory market at the time, I bought it with 128M of non ECC
    > RAM. OVer time, I added two more 128M DIMMs, in very low cost deals.
    > Now increasing RAM meant paying very high prices for 256M DIMMS and
    > discarding an old 128M DIMMs.
    >
    > Fortunately, a friend gave me some old RAM, two Acer(?) 256M DIMMS,
    > and four Micron 256M DIMMs. Both are 133Mhz, CAS2, Reg. ECC with 9
    > RAM chips on each side. The BP6 sees all of the Acer RAM and only 128M
    > of the Micron memory, so I'm now running with 640M of ECC memory.
    >
    > The Micron DIMM is MT18LSDT3272G-13EE1 PC133R-222-542-81. These are
    > packaged in pairs. I've seen the data sheet, but I don't really see
    > if I should be able to use all 256M or not with the BX440 chip set.

    Strangely enough, a dimm's spec sheet often doesn't specify
    how many banks it's organized as. If the BP6 is seeing it as
    128MB (and assuming, obviously, there's nothing wrong with
    your dimm slot) then the dimm is a single bank.

    > Are there any preferred BIOS settings? Is there any reason not to
    > simply use it as 128M additional RAM in my BP6?

    Run your memory at CL2 instead of 3 if possible. Besides
    that (and voltage tweaks when overclocking) I'm not aware
    of any other preferred memory settings.

    There's no reason to not use 256MB dimms as 128MB.

  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

  8. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Lee" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,

    > I have a stick of this exact ram that gives a series of bios error
    > beeps when installed. Arggh.

    Which motherboard?

    > Stick of 128 in the same slot works.

    It's likely a bad dimm then. The model# is correct for BX
    boards -- even Crucial's own memory finder directs
    customers to this one.

  9. Lee

    Lee Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:38:47 -0800, "Joe" <> wrote:

    >"Lee" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Hi,

    >> I have a stick of this exact ram that gives a series of bios error
    >> beeps when installed. Arggh.

    >Which motherboard?

    BH6

    >> Stick of 128 in the same slot works.

    >It's likely a bad dimm then. The model# is correct for BX
    >boards -- even Crucial's own memory finder directs
    >customers to this one.

    I would _think_ very unlikely to get a DOA from Crucial ?
    slot1 32 pc100
    slot2 64 pc100
    slot3 128 pc133
    Perhaps ram incompatibilities.

    Haven't tried different slot for it as this board does NOT like to
    reboot after bios error/failed boot.

    Still looking for an ST6 as a way to upgrade.

    Later,
    Lee