Low on power, IC7-G

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Lars, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. Lars

    Lars Guest

    Hi group,

    This ICG-7 has been a great board for several years now. The other day
    though, when I had added a fourth HD, it started acting up on me.
    I wonder if it could be that I am running out of power.
    The PSU can deliver 340 W maximum.

    All HD's are SATA and spin at 7200 Rpms. The last one is huge, 500 GB.
    I also have 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans and a power hungry ATI 9600
    XT video card. CPU is a P4 3.0 Ghz.

    At first all seemed well. But after some reboot it would not complete
    Post, but only gave some feeble beeps. Now it seems that the XT 9600
    is totally dead and I am back to an old Matrox card. And I have
    unplugged one HD.

    I have also had a lot of problems with Windows hanging when "preparing
    network connections".

    Today my new video card will arrive. Should I get a new, and larger,
    PSU as well?

    Lars
    Stockholm

    Lars, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Lars

    c Guest

    Lars wrote:
    > Hi group,
    >
    > This ICG-7 has been a great board for several years now. The other day
    > though, when I had added a fourth HD, it started acting up on me.
    > I wonder if it could be that I am running out of power.
    > The PSU can deliver 340 W maximum.
    >
    > All HD's are SATA and spin at 7200 Rpms. The last one is huge, 500 GB.
    > I also have 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans and a power hungry ATI 9600
    > XT video card. CPU is a P4 3.0 Ghz.
    >
    > At first all seemed well. But after some reboot it would not complete
    > Post, but only gave some feeble beeps. Now it seems that the XT 9600
    > is totally dead and I am back to an old Matrox card. And I have
    > unplugged one HD.
    >
    > I have also had a lot of problems with Windows hanging when "preparing
    > network connections".
    >
    > Today my new video card will arrive. Should I get a new, and larger,
    > PSU as well?
    >
    > Lars
    > Stockholm

    Try this neat little web page which will calculate your PSU requirements:

    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

    In this day and age 340 watts is extremely small. You're probably
    looking at something in the 550-600 watt range to be able to handle your
    hardware.

    Chris

    c, Mar 8, 2008

  3. Lars

    Eeyore Guest

    c wrote:

    > Lars wrote:
    > > Hi group,
    > >
    > > This ICG-7 has been a great board for several years now. The other day
    > > though, when I had added a fourth HD, it started acting up on me.
    > > I wonder if it could be that I am running out of power.
    > > The PSU can deliver 340 W maximum.
    > >
    > > All HD's are SATA and spin at 7200 Rpms. The last one is huge, 500 GB.
    > > I also have 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans and a power hungry ATI 9600
    > > XT video card. CPU is a P4 3.0 Ghz.
    > >
    > > At first all seemed well. But after some reboot it would not complete
    > > Post, but only gave some feeble beeps. Now it seems that the XT 9600
    > > is totally dead and I am back to an old Matrox card. And I have
    > > unplugged one HD.
    > >
    > > I have also had a lot of problems with Windows hanging when "preparing
    > > network connections".
    > >
    > > Today my new video card will arrive. Should I get a new, and larger,
    > > PSU as well?

    > Try this neat little web page which will calculate your PSU requirements:
    >
    > http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    >
    > In this day and age 340 watts is extremely small. You're probably
    > looking at something in the 550-600 watt range to be able to handle your
    > hardware.

    The REAL problem is that most PSU ratings are exaggerated.

    Graham

    Eeyore, Mar 8, 2008
  4. Lars

    c Guest

    Eeyore wrote:

    > c wrote:
    >
    >> Lars wrote:
    >>> Hi group,
    >>>
    >>> This ICG-7 has been a great board for several years now. The other day
    >>> though, when I had added a fourth HD, it started acting up on me.
    >>> I wonder if it could be that I am running out of power.
    >>> The PSU can deliver 340 W maximum.
    >>>
    >>> All HD's are SATA and spin at 7200 Rpms. The last one is huge, 500 GB.
    >>> I also have 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans and a power hungry ATI 9600
    >>> XT video card. CPU is a P4 3.0 Ghz.
    >>>
    >>> At first all seemed well. But after some reboot it would not complete
    >>> Post, but only gave some feeble beeps. Now it seems that the XT 9600
    >>> is totally dead and I am back to an old Matrox card. And I have
    >>> unplugged one HD.
    >>>
    >>> I have also had a lot of problems with Windows hanging when "preparing
    >>> network connections".
    >>>
    >>> Today my new video card will arrive. Should I get a new, and larger,
    >>> PSU as well?

    >> Try this neat little web page which will calculate your PSU requirements:
    >>
    >> http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
    >>
    >> In this day and age 340 watts is extremely small. You're probably
    >> looking at something in the 550-600 watt range to be able to handle your
    >> hardware.

    > The REAL problem is that most PSU ratings are exaggerated.
    >
    > Graham

    Very true. That is one reason to avoid the cheap PSUs. A few years ago,
    most of these overrated units were still adequate for most PCs, but as
    we start adding RAID setups, power hungry CPUs and video cards, etc.
    these marginal overrated units are now inadequate. If my system needs
    500w I buy a 650w unit at least. It's one area where over doing it is a
    good thing.

    Chris

    c, Mar 8, 2008