    The same speakers work just fine on my other IBM computer for years and my
    Sony Vaio laptop?

    Any ideas please?

    Artreid, Mar 2, 2007

  2. Artreid

    Artreid Guest

    In reading through this forum I see where powered speakers are mentioned as
    a possible solution for others having this low sound volume problem? I am
    thinking this means my Gateway requires powered speakers of some sort to
    play sound when my 10 year old IBM PC did not.

    Anyone here agree that powered speakers my solve my problems before I got
    out and purchase a set? Remembering the speakers work fine one my other
    computers...

    Thanks

    Artreid, Mar 2, 2007

  3. Artreid

    Artreid Guest

    Can no one here help me with this low sound problem?

    Artreid, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Artreid

    its_my_dime Guest

    -
    "Artreid" <> wrote in message
    >I hope this is the correct NG for my query.
    >
    > I have a GATEWAY 500S / E-3600 with WinXP SP2 installed. The sound was
    > very low just barely audible using the built-in gateway soundcard so I
    > went out and purchased a Creative SB Live card.
    > he sound can be adjusted no higher with this new sound card.
    >
    > Again volume is at it's max. in both instances but sound is barely
    > audible. The same speakers work just fine on my other IBM computer for
    > years and my Sony Vaio laptop?
    >
    > Any ideas please?

    It is probably not your sound card.

    There are several sound settings on a computer, both hardware and software.

    Check the mechanical volume control somewhere on the exterior. It will be
    in the manual which, if necessary, you can download and search. Your
    keyboard also may have some volume controls.

    There are several software controls. Start - setting - control panel -
    sound. Under Volume (on top, make sure device volume is NOT muted and set
    to the middle of the slide.

    Under Advanced, make sure that the volume controls are not muted and off the
    bottom.

    Also note that windows media player has its own volume control.

    Good luck.

    its_my_dime, Mar 7, 2007
  5. Artreid

    Artreid Guest

    I purchased and installed powered speakers and all is well now.

    My only question now is how do you know if your computer requires powered
    speakers or not?
    Nowhere in the Gateway 500S Specs.Docs does it state Powered Speakers are
    required for sound?

    Artreid, Mar 16, 2007
  6. Artreid

    Ben Myers Guest

    Given the general absence of detailed specs on computers sold today, the only
    way to know if powered speakers are required is to try the unpowered ones. The
    tendency these days is to require powered speakers, though. I ran into
    something similar last week repalcing a client's old computer with a modern
    one... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 16, 2007