    I have amd xp 2600 oced to 2300 mhz (200x11.5)....i use volcano 9 to cool
    it...always blowing max at 5200 rpms...i lowered it to about 3500 and it
    seems to run at the same temp and sometimes lower...is this normal?

    Matt, Dec 28, 2003

  2. Matt

    Ed Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:06:08 GMT, "Matt" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have amd xp 2600 oced to 2300 mhz (200x11.5)....i use volcano 9 to cool
    >it...always blowing max at 5200 rpms...i lowered it to about 3500 and it
    >seems to run at the same temp and sometimes lower...is this normal?

    With a case that has the correct airflow going through it and a decent
    heatsink on the CPU you really shouldn't need a fast/loud fan on the CPU
    heatsink. I run a barton @ 2315MHz and I set my CPU fan to spin at 2500
    to 2700 RPM, the CPU die temp is still 20C below spec at full loads (in
    the summer) and has never crashed since I built it 7+ months ago.

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Matt

    Joe Guest

    How is the fan speed adjusted?

    Joe, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Matt

    NewUser001 Guest

    using a rheostat

    NewUser001, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Matt

    Ed Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:36:01 -0500, "Joe" <> wrote:

    >How is the fan speed adjusted?

    I have one of those adjustable CPU fans (same one the Aero7+ uses) on a
    Vantec Aeroflow HS. Antec full tower case with just a CoolerMaster 92mm
    fan in the bottom (no rear 80mm) with a home made adjustable V regulator
    circuit connected to that (2500 RPM max) and 3 thermal sensor 80mm case
    fans (1000-2700 RPM/2-rear/1-front).

    The only unpleasant noise in my system is the 2nd HDD, it's an old WD
    40GB and makes a whinny sound, I'm looking to replace that soon.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Matt

    GTD Guest

    It seems possible, that at higher speeds the fan is "cavitating".
    Cavitation is when, due to the specific design of the fan / blades,
    the airflow spins with the blades as opposed to flowing 'through' the
    fan at higher speeds. I've never heard of a fan doing this, but it is
    fairly common on the propellors of ships. I've witnessed boats
    actually go faster at half to three-quarters throttle than they could
    wide open. The centrifugal force on the mass of the spinning air water
    causes it to go outward, and if there is a kort nozzel (kind of like a
    fan shroud), the water goes 'around' it. I'm not sure if this is what
    you are experiencing, but it does sound firmilliar. Just my $.02

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 00:06:08 GMT, "Matt" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have amd xp 2600 oced to 2300 mhz (200x11.5)....i use volcano 9 to cool
    >it...always blowing max at 5200 rpms...i lowered it to about 3500 and it
    >seems to run at the same temp and sometimes lower...is this normal?

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love

    GTD, Dec 29, 2003