M2N-E Raid problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by John Carter, Dec 17, 2009.

  1. John Carter

    John Carter Guest

    Just booted up my M2N-E system and strange red blinking message in
    RAID initialization popped up.

    Configuration:
    2 WD 250 GB SATA drives in Raid-1 array is Drive C:
    2 Maxtor 320 GB drives in Raid-1 array as Drive D:
    1 WD Raptor 85 Gb drive standalone as E:.

    WHen I booted up, I got the C drive OK and what appeared to be the D
    drive, and the E drive, but a new Drive G: popped up I had never seen
    before. Inspection of G: showed it to have the SAME files as on D:.
    I then re-booted, pressed F10 and the Raid utility popped up as
    expected.
    Instead of 2 arrays, it showed C: as OK, D: and G: as degraded.(the
    display did not have C:, D: or G: - it showed the appropriate volumes
    - I used the singlew letters for brevity).

    At this point, I highlightes the first degraded array (D:) and looked
    ata the details. Ignorant of what to look for, I didn't know what to
    look for, but at the bottom, I could choose to R- Rebuild the array.
    I did so, but nothing. I then looked at the details of the other
    degraded array (G:) - same thing- tried R - rebuild, but nothing.

    Since I had booted sussceesfully before, decided to check the
    differences between the two drives. D: had 5 more files than G: -
    both at 147 mb. At this point I got a portable USB drive, n mounted
    it and proceeded to backup the D; drive, since it presumablu had more
    data than G:.

    I now have a backup of the drive, but have done nothing since If you
    don't know anything about it, leave it alone until you do. I have
    refrained from writing on either drive to try to maintain status quo
    until I know how to proceed.

    I would like to know of anyone who experienced this and what you did
    about it, or can someone direct me to a place where I can find a
    solution.

    Thanks for any and all replies.

    John Carter
    John Carter, Dec 17, 2009