M6811 Memory Upgrade Results

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by CS, Jan 12, 2008.

  1. CS

    CS Guest

    Update to my 12/21 post.

    Disassembled Emachines M6811 laptop for access to the 'hidden' memory slot
    under the keyboard.

    Removed old RAM, installed new RAM, reassembed laptop, tested, everything
    works.

    Followed up with a faster hard drive, fresh install of Windows XP, and a few
    runs of Scandisk and AVG scans.

    As I predicted, it was a big PITA. If I had to do it over, I would have
    sent the dang thing to Gateway (who now owns Emachines) and had them do it.
    I'm no rookie, but the deeper I got into this thing, the more annoyed I
    became. Towards the end my impatience won out and I just slapped everything
    together, with 6 'extra' screws, but no extra parts. heh

    I'm not going to sweat this too much. This laptop is for guests, namely
    relatives who come over for a few days and need their 'own' computer for
    installing virus/spyware/bloatware/crapware on. Last time they used mine
    and caused a big mess.

    Anyway, the laptop runs nice and fast. Job Done.

    CS
    CS, Jan 12, 2008

  2. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:25:24 -0800, CS wrote:

    > Update to my 12/21 post.
    >
    > Disassembled Emachines M6811 laptop for access to the 'hidden' memory
    > slot under the keyboard.
    >
    > Removed old RAM, installed new RAM, reassembed laptop, tested,
    > everything works.
    >
    > Followed up with a faster hard drive, fresh install of Windows XP, and a
    > few runs of Scandisk and AVG scans.
    >
    > As I predicted, it was a big PITA. If I had to do it over, I would have
    > sent the dang thing to Gateway (who now owns Emachines) and had them do
    > it. I'm no rookie, but the deeper I got into this thing, the more
    > annoyed I became. Towards the end my impatience won out and I just
    > slapped everything together, with 6 'extra' screws, but no extra parts.
    > heh
    >
    > I'm not going to sweat this too much. This laptop is for guests, namely
    > relatives who come over for a few days and need their 'own' computer for
    > installing virus/spyware/bloatware/crapware on. Last time they used
    > mine and caused a big mess.
    >
    > Anyway, the laptop runs nice and fast. Job Done.
    >
    > CS

    * * *
    CS,

    Thanks for letting us know adding the extra memory worked well, guess the
    hidden memory chip was not not soldered as you indicated it could have
    been...

    Guess that was a wonderful discovery... You know you could add linux to
    the system, make it a dual booting system, and not have the danger, bloat
    or malware if they just want to surf the web, check their online-mail,
    and print...

    Tis great to have the feed back, so often the poster does not follow
    up... How much memory is it sporting now?

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, Jan 13, 2008

  3. CS

    CS Guest

    "Postman Delivers" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:25:24 -0800, CS wrote:
    >
    >> Update to my 12/21 post.
    >>
    >> Disassembled Emachines M6811 laptop for access to the 'hidden' memory
    >> slot under the keyboard.
    >>
    >> Removed old RAM, installed new RAM, reassembed laptop, tested,
    >> everything works.
    >>
    >> Followed up with a faster hard drive, fresh install of Windows XP, and a
    >> few runs of Scandisk and AVG scans.
    >>
    >> As I predicted, it was a big PITA. If I had to do it over, I would have
    >> sent the dang thing to Gateway (who now owns Emachines) and had them do
    >> it. I'm no rookie, but the deeper I got into this thing, the more
    >> annoyed I became. Towards the end my impatience won out and I just
    >> slapped everything together, with 6 'extra' screws, but no extra parts.
    >> heh
    >>
    >> I'm not going to sweat this too much. This laptop is for guests, namely
    >> relatives who come over for a few days and need their 'own' computer for
    >> installing virus/spyware/bloatware/crapware on. Last time they used
    >> mine and caused a big mess.
    >>
    >> Anyway, the laptop runs nice and fast. Job Done.
    >>
    >> CS

    > * * *
    > CS,
    >
    > Thanks for letting us know adding the extra memory worked well, guess the
    > hidden memory chip was not not soldered as you indicated it could have
    > been...

    Nope. Just a standard RAM slot, hidden under a bunch of stuff.

    > Guess that was a wonderful discovery... You know you could add linux to
    > the system, make it a dual booting system, and not have the danger, bloat
    > or malware if they just want to surf the web, check their online-mail,
    > and print...

    They wouldn't need to install anything to do that, however, they do like
    their Yahoo tool bars, IRC clients, funky games, and various chat programs.

    > Tis great to have the feed back, so often the poster does not follow
    > up... How much memory is it sporting now?

    Two gigs of sweet Transcend RAM!

    CS
    CS, Jan 13, 2008