Mac users and the outside world

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Marcel Pagnol, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. What follows might not be of much interest to Mac users as they live on a
    planet apart. They're artists, so they're fabulously rich. And, if they're
    so rich, it's because they know about value, as Steiner puts it. Spending
    twice on an Intel Mac as on an equivalent Intel PC is surely a great
    investment. I mean 20 years later, you find yourself still relying on the
    good old Mac as a server. Jolly explained all this. No wonder their credit
    cards are all clean!

    But, in the real world or, should I rather say, the outside world, things
    are very different. So I thought that, just from an artistic point of view,
    you might want to just skim through what follows.

    Job loss: Worst in 34 years
    Employers slashed 598,000 more jobs in January as unemployment rate climbed

    NEW YORK (CNN Money.com) -- Employers slashed another 598,000 jobs off of
    U.S. payrolls in January, taking the unemployment rate up to 7.6%,
    according to the latest government reading on the nation's battered labor
    market.

    The latest job loss is the worst since December 1974, and brings job losses
    to 1.8 million in just the last three months, or half of the 3.6 million
    jobs that have been lost since the beginning of 2008.

    The loss since November is the biggest 3-month drop since immediately after
    the end of World War II, when the defense industry was shutting down for
    conversion to civilian production.

    January's job loss was also worse than the forecast of a loss of 540,000
    jobs from economists surveyed by Briefing.com

    <http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/06/news/economy/jobs_january/>

    U.S. jobless rate hits 25-year high
    Fri Mar 6, 2009 4:36pm EST

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. unemployment rate rose to a 25-year high of
    8.1 percent in February as employers, buckling under the strain of a severe
    recession, axed 651,000 jobs, government data showed on Friday.

    <http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE52517Z20090306?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews>

    On March 3rd, though, Google CEO Eric Schmidt said, "What's particularly
    interesting about netbooks is the price point. Eventually, it will make
    sense for operators and so forth to subsidize the use of netbooks so they
    can make services revenue and advertising revenue on the consumption.
    That's another new model that's coming."

    <http://blogs.computerworld.com/google_ceo_hints_google_linux_netbooks_may_be_coming>

    The "NVIDIA is secretly working on an x86 chip" rumor that Charlie at the
    Inquirer has been flogging since at least 2006 has just been given a major
    boost, and by none other than NVIDIA itself.

    A bit-tech.net reporter was in the audience at a recent Morgan Stanley
    Technology Conference, when NVIDIA VP Mike Hara seemed to indicate that the
    company is considering developing a x86 CPU for the mobile space sometime
    in the next two years.

    I've always been a major doubter of the NVIDIA-produced x86 rumors, though I
    know at least one other tech reporter besides Charlie who's sold on the
    story. But Hara's remarks make it fairly clear that the company is indeed
    headed in this direction.

    Based on what Hara said, it seems that NVIDIA would be looking to do a
    Tegra-like SoC design, but one that pairs an x86 core with an NVIDIA GPU
    (as opposed to Tegra's ARM + GPU pairing).

    <http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/03/sizing-up-a-possible-nvidia-made-x86-processor.ars>

    Android on NetBokks?

    But it's the news that Android will soon be ported to netbooks that has
    generated the most buzz in recent weeks. According to reports, Freescale
    Semiconductor is working on microprocessors that run the operating system.
    Chip maker Qualcomm also plans to help push Android onto netbooks. And
    Asustek, which pioneered the netbook segment, is also working on an Android
    netbook.

    The idea could fly, given that many of the tools people use on their
    computers are now available online - e-mail, office applications such as
    word processing and spreadsheets, and calendaring. With extensive 3G
    coverage across developed markets and in many developing markets, working
    online is not the challenge it was a couple of years ago.

    Getting Android onto netbooks could be the first step in Google taking
    direct aim at Microsoft's core business of desktop operating systems.
    Microsoft has every reason to fear what's happening.

    <http://free.financialmail.co.za/09/0306/technology/atech.htm>

    The BENQ netbook and EeeBuntu.

    The BENQ 10? netbook or Joybook lite, as BenQ call it comes in a pretty blue
    with a stylized joy book lite design cross hatched across the cover. It
    comes with an Intel Atom processor 512 Gig of Ram and a 160 Gig hard drive,
    I added 1 Gig of RAM (giving it a total of 1.5 Gig a maximum of 2 Gig is
    possible) and installed EeeBuntu, which I had been testing on a Virtual
    Machine.

    The machine has 3 USB port a LAN port comes with 802.11 wireless and
    Bluetooth, this model doesn't have built in 3G capability, and a Video
    socket to connect an external monitor. The machine is a bout the size of a
    large clutch purse, and will fit into most handbags. It gets about 2 hours
    on the standard rather small battery pack. There's also a built in webcam.

    The screen is nominally 1024 by 600, with EeeBuntu the screen size is stated
    as 1024 by 576 or 16:9 aspect ratio which according to EeeBuntu on my VM
    was 1024 by 600, so it's a bit strange . On the other hand it doesn't seem
    any different than the screen size on the VM. The screen is clear and
    bright even on battery.

    The machine takes just over a minute to boot to a full desktop, from cold,
    EeeBuntu was booting to a full desktop on the VM on my big laptop in 1
    minute 40 seconds, interestingly with a faster processor, maybe the
    optimization for the Atom accounts for that.

    <http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/116744/index.html>

    ARM debuts Sparrow multicore netbook processor

    We've had our eyes peeled for ARM Cortex-based netbook news, and now among
    the action this week at MWC '09 we're getting our first look at Sparrow, a
    Cortex A9 processor aimed squarely at netbook manufacturers.

    <http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/arm-debuts-sparrow-multicore-netbook-processor/>

    Samsung picks Via Nano CPU for its NC20 Netbook

    Samsung Electronics is adopting the Nano processor from Via Technologies for
    its NC20 Netbook.

    The NC20 is set to be Samsung's successor to the NC10, which, like most
    Netbooks on the market, has an Intel Atom central processing unit.

    The new Samsung NC20 Netbook
    (Credit: Via Technologies)

    Via's Nano chips are its first 64-bit, superscalar processors in its x86
    platform portfolio. When coupled with the Via VX800 system media processor,
    a Nano chip supports full Microsoft DirectX 9.0 3D graphics,
    high-definition video and audio playback, and up to 4GB of DDR2 system
    memory.

    The Samsung NC20 will feature the 1.3GHz Via Nano CPU and a 12.1-inch
    display with 1,280x800-pixel resolution. At 3.4 pounds, it will be a tad
    heavier than its 2.8-pound, 10.2-inch NC10 predecessor.

    The Netbook will come equipped with Wi-Fi (802.11g) and Bluetooth wireless
    connectivity, and a six-cell battery that provides up to 6.5 hours on a
    full charge. You'll be able to choose between a regular SATA hard drive or
    a solid-state drive for storage. Other than that, the computer will also
    have an integrated 1.3-megapixel Webcam, a 3-in-1 memory card reader, and
    three built-in USB ports.

    The Samsung NC20 will be available for purchase soon, with an estimated
    price of about $650 that will vary with configurations.

    <http://news.cnet.com/samsung-picks-via-nano-cpu-for-its-nc20-netbook/>

    Yawn... I wonder what all this fuss is about. Hasn't master Jobs -- ça ne
    s'invente pas un nom comme ça! -- already explained that all this is just
    cheap stuff that Apple will never get into? Sleep tight, Apple shares are
    doing good. (But I wonder how much Jobby is buying these days...)

    Marcel Pagnol, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Marcel Pagnol

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <gosvq1$vv0$>,
    Marcel Pagnol <> wrote:

    > What follows might not be of much interest to Mac users as they live on a
    > planet apart. They're artists, so they're fabulously rich. And, if they're
    > so rich, it's because they know about value, as Steiner puts it. Spending
    > twice on an Intel Mac as on an equivalent Intel PC is surely a great
    > investment. I mean 20 years later, you find yourself still relying on the
    > good old Mac as a server. Jolly explained all this. No wonder their credit
    > cards are all clean!

    I just put 8 more gigs or RAM into my nice Quad-core Xeon. Ordered from
    BC, free shipping, no Ontario sales tax. We can afford it too. We sold
    our house over there in frogland at a huge profit and are comfortably
    retired drinking the cheap Italian wines they sell here and living well
    which, mon chalice d'ami, for sure she his da best revanche. Vas chier.
    --
    Suddenly he realized that he was alone
    with a giant halfwit on a dark deserted street.

    Warren Oates, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Warren Oates wrote:

    > In article <gosvq1$vv0$>,
    > Marcel Pagnol <> wrote:
    >
    >> What follows might not be of much interest to Mac users as they live on a
    >> planet apart. They're artists, so they're fabulously rich. And, if
    >> they're so rich, it's because they know about value, as Steiner puts it.
    >> Spending twice on an Intel Mac as on an equivalent Intel PC is surely a
    >> great investment. I mean 20 years later, you find yourself still relying
    >> on the good old Mac as a server. Jolly explained all this. No wonder
    >> their credit cards are all clean!

    > I just put 8 more gigs or RAM into my nice Quad-core Xeon. Ordered from
    > BC, free shipping, no Ontario sales tax. We can afford it too. We sold
    > our house over there in frogland at a huge profit and are comfortably
    > retired drinking the cheap Italian wines they sell here and living well
    > which, mon chalice d'ami, for sure she his da best revanche. Vas chier.

    Oates, whenever I need a racist pet rock, I'll think of you.

    Marcel Pagnol, Mar 7, 2009
  4. Marcel Pagnol

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <gouhpk$4q9$>,
    Marcel Pagnol <> wrote:

    > Oates, whenever I need a racist pet rock, I'll think of you.

    French Canadian, that's not a race, it's a bunch of Eurotrash living in
    North America.

    Warren Oates, Mar 7, 2009
  5. Marcel Pagnol

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:21:46 -0500, Warren Oates wrote
    (in article <004077d9$0$28471$>):

    > In article <gouhpk$4q9$>,
    > Marcel Pagnol <> wrote:
    >

    >> Oates, whenever I need a racist pet rock, I'll think of you.

    > French Canadian, that's not a race, it's a bunch of Eurotrash living in
    > North America.

    Let's put it this way: they're so bad that they got _kicked out of *France*_.

    J.J. O'Shea, Mar 8, 2009
  6. In article <>,
    Lee Murphy <> wrote:

    > On 2009-03-06 23:03:54 -0600, Marcel Pagnol
    > <> said:
    >
    > > What follows might not be of much interest to Mac users as they
    > > live on a planet apart. They're artists, so they're fabulously
    > > rich. And, if they're so rich, it's because they know about value,
    > > as Steiner puts it.

    Marcel/Yugo/Priam probably buys his shoes at Payless, because they have
    low prices. In the long run, he pays more for shoes than someone who
    buys shoes at Nordstrom's. Shoes at Nordy's cost more than at Payless,
    but they are better made and last longer.

    He knows less about value than I do about astrophysics.

    --
    It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 8, 2009
  7. Lee Murphy wrote:

    > This? is how you use your time.....
    > Don't worry about my world until you fix yours...it needs it!

    Of course, you don't have to fix "my world". Since you use a Mac, your world
    is perfect!

    How how utterly brillant Mac users prove to be. It's just amazing!

    Marcel Pagnol, Mar 8, 2009
  8. J.J. O'Shea wrote:

    > On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:21:46 -0500, Warren Oates wrote
    > (in article <004077d9$0$28471$>):
    >
    >> In article <gouhpk$4q9$>,
    >> Marcel Pagnol <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Oates, whenever I need a racist pet rock, I'll think of you.

    >> French Canadian, that's not a race, it's a bunch of Eurotrash living in
    >> North America.
    >>

    > Let's put it this way: they're so bad that they got _kicked out of
    > *France*_.

    I suppose what we have here, with Oates and O'Shea, is a sample of the
    well-educated Mac users?

    Just kidding! I know Steiner is here to raise the average. :)

    Marcel Pagnol, Mar 8, 2009
  9. Marcel Pagnol

    KaPOP! Guest

    Marcel Pagnol wrote:

    MAJOR snippage

    > Mac users...'re artists, so they're fabulously rich.

    I'm RICH?! Wow. Why am I using an old second-hand eMac? An artist?
    Hardly. Anything I draw is likely to look like I drew it with my feet.

    > But, in the real world or, should I rather say, the outside world, things
    > are very different. So I thought that, just from an artistic point of view,
    > you might want to just skim through what follows.
    >

    > Job loss: Worst in 34 years
    > Employers slashed 598,000 more jobs in January as unemployment rate climbed

    WHAT the Sam Freaking Hill does this have to do with anyone's computer
    of choice? FWIW, I do HAVE a job. Still can't afford a new Mac. OR a new
    PC, for that matter.

    > Android on NetBokks?

    What's a "NetBokk?"

    > Yawn...

    Indeed.

    I feel SO guilty for feeding a troll...

    Karl

    KaPOP!, Mar 8, 2009
  10. Marcel Pagnol

    KaPOP! Guest

    Marcel Pagnol wrote:

    MAJOR snippage

    > Mac users...'re artists, so they're fabulously rich.

    I'm RICH?! Wow. Why am I using an old second-hand eMac? An artist?
    Hardly. Anything I draw is likely to look like I drew it with my feet.

    > But, in the real world or, should I rather say, the outside world, things
    > are very different. So I thought that, just from an artistic point of view,
    > you might want to just skim through what follows.
    >

    > Job loss: Worst in 34 years
    > Employers slashed 598,000 more jobs in January as unemployment rate climbed

    WHAT the Sam Freaking Hill does this have to do with anyone's computer
    of choice? FWIW, I do HAVE a job. Still can't afford a new Mac. OR a new
    PC, for that matter.

    > Android on NetBokks?

    What's a "NetBokk?"

    KaPOP!, Mar 8, 2009
  11. Marcel Pagnol

    KaPOP! Guest

    Before "Marcel" remarks about my double-post, please allow me to
    apologize. I've had trouble trying to send NG msgs and got an error msg
    on the first try. Should've checked before clicking "Send" the 2nd time.

    Karl

    KaPOP!, Mar 8, 2009
  12. KaPOP! wrote:

    > Marcel Pagnol wrote:
    >
    > MAJOR snippage
    >
    >> Mac users...'re artists, so they're fabulously rich.

    > I'm RICH?!

    Check the definition of this word: irony.

    If Mac users are educated, it must be pretty easy to get an education these
    days.

    Marcel Pagnol, Mar 8, 2009
  13. Marcel Pagnol

    KaPOP! Guest

    Marcel Pagnol wrote:
    > KaPOP! wrote:
    >
    >> Marcel Pagnol wrote:
    >>
    >> MAJOR snippage
    >>
    >>> Mac users...'re artists, so they're fabulously rich.

    >> I'm RICH?!

    > Check the definition of this word: irony.
    >
    > If Mac users are educated, it must be pretty easy to get an education these
    > days.

    Oxford Dictionary:

    Dictionary
    rich |ri ch |
    adjective
    1 having a great deal of money or assets; wealthy : most of these
    artists are already quite rich | [as plural n. ] ( the rich) every day
    the gap between the rich and the poor widens. See note at wealthy .
    • (of a country or region) having valuable natural resources or a
    successful economy.
    • of expensive materials or workmanship; demonstrating wealth : rich
    mahogany furniture.
    • generating wealth; valuable : not all football players enjoy rich
    rewards from the game.
    2 plentiful; abundant : China's rich and diverse mammalian fauna.
    • having (a particular thing) in large amounts : many vegetables and
    fruits are rich in antioxidant vitamins | [in combination ] a
    protein-rich diet.
    • (of food) containing a large amount of fat, spices, sugar, etc. :
    dishes with wonderfully rich sauces.
    • (of drink) full-bodied : a rich, hoppy beer.
    • (of the mixture in an internal combustion engine) containing a high
    proportion of fuel.
    • (of a color or sound) pleasantly deep and strong : his rich bass voice.
    • (of a smell or taste) pleasantly smooth and mellow : Basmati rice has
    a rich aroma.
    • figurative interesting because full of diversity or complexity : what
    a full, rich life you lead!
    3 producing a large quantity of something : novels have always been a
    rich source of material for the film industry.
    • (of soil or a piece of land) having the properties necessary to
    produce fertile growth.
    • (of a mine or mineral deposit) yielding a large quantity or proportion
    of precious metal.
    4 informal (of a remark) causing ironic amusement or indignation : these
    comments are a bit rich coming from a woman with no money worries.
    DERIVATIVES
    richness noun
    ORIGIN Old English rīce [powerful, wealthy,] of Germanic origin, related
    to Dutch rijk and German reich; ultimately from Celtic; reinforced in
    Middle English by Old French riche ‘rich, powerful.’

    Thesaurus
    rich
    adjective
    1 rich people wealthy, affluent, moneyed, well off, well-to-do,
    prosperous, opulent, silk-stocking; informal rolling in money, rolling
    in it, rolling in (the) dough, in the money, loaded, flush, stinking
    rich, filthy rich, well-heeled, made of money. See note at wealthy . See
    also word spectrum. antonym poor.
    2 rich furnishings sumptuous, opulent, luxurious, luxury, deluxe,
    lavish, gorgeous, splendid, magnificent, costly, expensive, fancy;
    informal posh, plush, ritzy, swanky, classy, swank. antonym plain, austere.
    3 a garden rich in flowers abounding in, full of, well provided with,
    well stocked in/with, crammed with, packed with, teeming with, bursting
    with; informal jam-packed with, chockablock with, chock-full of.
    4 a rich supply of restaurants plentiful, abundant, copious, ample,
    profuse, lavish, liberal, generous, bountiful; literary plenteous,
    bounteous. antonym poor, meager.
    5 rich soil fertile, productive, fecund, fruitful. antonym barren.
    6 a rich sauce creamy, heavy, full-flavored, fatty. antonym delicate, light.
    7 a rich wine full-bodied, heavy, fruity. antonym light.
    8 rich colors strong, deep, full, intense, vivid, brilliant. antonym
    delicate, pastel.
    9 her rich voice sonorous, full, resonant, deep, clear, mellow,
    mellifluous, full-throated. antonym thin, reedy.

    Do you have a point? I mean, of course, other than the one on the top of
    your head.

    Karl

    KaPOP!, Mar 8, 2009
  14. Marcel Pagnol

    KaPOP! Guest

    Marcel Pagnol wrote:
    > KaPOP! wrote:
    >
    >> Marcel Pagnol wrote:
    >>
    >> MAJOR snippage
    >>
    >>> Mac users...'re artists, so they're fabulously rich.

    >> I'm RICH?!

    > Check the definition of this word: irony.
    >
    > If Mac users are educated, it must be pretty easy to get an education these
    > days.

    Guess I didn't see any irony in your original post. So I gave you the
    definition of the word "rich" instead. But today I happened to remember
    this thread and thought, "Hm..." and got a chuckle out of it. Perhaps if
    you'd told me to look up the word "sarcasm..."

    KaPOP!, Mar 9, 2009