MacBook Pro wifi connection problem

Discussion in 'Apple' started by paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink, Aug 10, 2012.

  1. I bought a new MacBook Pro running Lion about a month ago. I live in an
    apartment complex and have permission to use my landlord's wifi but do
    not have access to his router and he gave me the password. When my Mac
    connects, it is a very strong signal and a good download speed. But
    when I wake it up, it often takes a long time to connect. The wifi
    signal goes up and down and eventually ends in an exclamation point.
    Usually after 5 or 10 minutes it will suddenly connect showing all bars.
    It will suddenly disconnect occasionally as well. Originally, I thought
    that the landlord might have the router on a light switch or something.

    The strange thing is that during the no signal period on my MacBook Pro,
    my iPod touch held right next to the laptop, which usually has much
    lesser sensitivity to picking up a wifi signal than the laptop, shows
    full signal strength and can browse the internet. When I pull up
    Network Diagnostics during this downtime, wi-fi and wi-fi settings are
    green, network settings is amber, ISP is green and internet and server
    are red. Of course, when it finally connects, everything turns green.

    Any ideas what's going on and how to correct it? Thanks.

    1. Advertising

  2. Salvatore

    Salvatore Guest

    On 2012-08-10, paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink <paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink>
    wrote:
    > Any ideas what's going on and how to correct it? Thanks.

    Hold down the Option/Alt key and click on the Wi-Fi signal in the
    top-right corner of your screen. It will show the signal strength after
    you connect. "Good" connections are indicated by at least this much
    bandwidth:

    802.11b: 11 Mbps
    802.11g: 54 Mbps
    802.11n: 108 Mbps or more

    In the same drop-down menu, look at how many Wi-Fi access points are
    listed. If there are lots of them, and if they are all on the same
    channel, it's possible that all those APs are interfering with your
    connection.

    There is also the possibility that your iPod Touch, which only uses the
    2.4 GHz range, is getting better reception in that band than your
    laptop, which could be using either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz range.

    --
    Blah blah bleh...

    GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

    1. Advertising

  3. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <1kolq7l.2bqk7j1pdav7iN%paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink>,
    paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink wrote:

    > I bought a new MacBook Pro running Lion about a month ago. I live in an
    > apartment complex and have permission to use my landlord's wifi but do
    > not have access to his router and he gave me the password. When my Mac
    > connects, it is a very strong signal and a good download speed. But
    > when I wake it up, it often takes a long time to connect. The wifi
    > signal goes up and down and eventually ends in an exclamation point.
    > Usually after 5 or 10 minutes it will suddenly connect showing all bars.
    > It will suddenly disconnect occasionally as well. Originally, I thought
    > that the landlord might have the router on a light switch or something.
    >
    > The strange thing is that during the no signal period on my MacBook Pro,
    > my iPod touch held right next to the laptop, which usually has much
    > lesser sensitivity to picking up a wifi signal than the laptop, shows
    > full signal strength and can browse the internet. When I pull up
    > Network Diagnostics during this downtime, wi-fi and wi-fi settings are
    > green, network settings is amber, ISP is green and internet and server
    > are red. Of course, when it finally connects, everything turns green.
    >
    > Any ideas what's going on and how to correct it? Thanks.

    Does the network have a unique name? Or is it something like "Linksys"?

    Your network settings may be confused. Go to Sys Prefs->Network and
    uncheck "Ask to join new networks", then at the bottom click "Advanced".
    Delete all the networks you don't use and move the one you do use to the
    top. Or better yet, delete them all then sign onto your landlords'.

    --
    m-m
    Photo Gallery:

  4. M-M <> wrote:

    > In article <1kolq7l.2bqk7j1pdav7iN%paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink>,
    > paulfuchs@porkain'tkosher.oink wrote:
    >
    > > I bought a new MacBook Pro running Lion about a month ago. I live in an
    > > apartment complex and have permission to use my landlord's wifi but do
    > > not have access to his router and he gave me the password. When my Mac
    > > connects, it is a very strong signal and a good download speed. But
    > > when I wake it up, it often takes a long time to connect. The wifi
    > > signal goes up and down and eventually ends in an exclamation point.
    > > Usually after 5 or 10 minutes it will suddenly connect showing all bars.
    > > It will suddenly disconnect occasionally as well. Originally, I thought
    > > that the landlord might have the router on a light switch or something.
    > >
    > > The strange thing is that during the no signal period on my MacBook Pro,
    > > my iPod touch held right next to the laptop, which usually has much
    > > lesser sensitivity to picking up a wifi signal than the laptop, shows
    > > full signal strength and can browse the internet. When I pull up
    > > Network Diagnostics during this downtime, wi-fi and wi-fi settings are
    > > green, network settings is amber, ISP is green and internet and server
    > > are red. Of course, when it finally connects, everything turns green.
    > >
    > > Any ideas what's going on and how to correct it? Thanks.

    > Does the network have a unique name? Or is it something like "Linksys"?
    >
    > Your network settings may be confused. Go to Sys Prefs->Network and
    > uncheck "Ask to join new networks", then at the bottom click "Advanced".
    > Delete all the networks you don't use and move the one you do use to the
    > top. Or better yet, delete them all then sign onto your landlords'.

    M-M,

    I followed your directions and the problem seems to have cleared up. It
    has been less than a day though, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
    Thanks.

  5. phb92

    phb92

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2012
    Messages:
    1

    Dear all,
    Around mle, about 12-15 wifi access points from my neighbors.
    And 7 of them are using channel 11.

    Is there a way that I can say to my Mac to exclude some of them ?

    I will also check whether I can change the channle of MY wifi access point.

    Thanks.

    Philippe