    macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
    prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
    needs to get educated.

    RnR, Apr 5, 2012

  2. RnR

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:44:26 AM UTC-5, RnR wrote:
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
    >

    > Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
    > macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
    > prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
    > needs to get educated.

    Ever notice (for the most part) Linux people aren't as smug as Apple user's?

    (Unless you attack their OS directly!)

    Bob_Villa, Apr 5, 2012

  3. RnR

    Daddy Guest

    Are you related to Rip Van Winkle?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Apr 5, 2012
  4. RnR

    drek Guest

    On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 08:44:26 -0500, "RnR" <> wrote:
    <>:

    >http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
    >

    >Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
    >macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
    >prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
    >needs to get educated.

    John Norstad would be a place to start. Better known in UseNet as author
    of NewsWatcher, the base for MT-Newswatcher and YA-Newswatcher which are
    still in use, he coded some of the first AV for Mac.

    He stopped the 10 year development on his antiviral program Disinfectant
    citing a lack of resources to deal with the new Microsoft macro virus.
    That was in 1998.

    "During the summer and fall of 1988, the virus problem began to get
    worse on the Mac. More viruses appeared, and they began to spread
    widely. We had our first outbreaks at NU*. The press was all abuzz about
    the problem, and industry pundits were making dire predictions of the
    death of personal computing. Everyone was in a state of panic.
    Misinformation about viruses outweighed accurate facts by a factor of
    100 to 1."

    *Northwest University
    http://www.norstad.org/disinfectant-retire.txt
    http://www.norstad.org/autobiography.html

    drek, May 24, 2012
  5. RnR

    Justin Guest

    On 4/5/2012 9:44 AM, RnR wrote:
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
    >

    > Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
    > macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
    > prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
    > needs to get educated.

    The difference is, the user has to install the maleware on the Mac. in
    WIndows, one false click in IE or even Firefix, that stuff is installed.
    Also, the fact that alot of malware is bundled with things like 7zip,
    Paint.net and various other programs. The user is tricked into
    installing. None of that on OSX.

    Justin, May 27, 2012
  6. RnR

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:29:11 PM UTC-5, Justin wrote:

    > The difference is, the user has to install the maleware on the Mac. in
    > WIndows, one false click in IE or even Firefix, that stuff is installed.
    > Also, the fact that alot of malware is bundled with things like 7zip,
    > Paint.net and various other programs. The user is tricked into
    > installing. None of that on OSX.

    Also, the average Mac using is not so savvy. (I'm not saying the average PC user is though) They just find it more "user" friendly.

    Bob_Villa, May 27, 2012