Major PC hardware failure

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Puddin' Man, Apr 7, 2011.

  1. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    Greetings,

    I built a pc around Pentium cpu, Intel D865GVHZ board, Antec case/PS back in '06.
    Have been running it about 16 hours/day ever since.

    Whilst running a backup Sunday, I heard a constant little tic-tic, tic-tic,
    tic-tic sound, looked down to find Speedfan registered about 74 C., then watched
    the W2k system crash.

    I immediately suspected a cpu fan failure, but all fans were running when I checked.
    I've now replaced the cpu fan/heat-sink and the power supply.

    The system gives the following message:

    "The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event(overheating)
    Service the unit right away to resolve this"

    and soon shuts down all power.

    I need to restore the system to functionality, but hardly know where to start.
    Any/all help would be much appreciated.

    TIA,
    Puddin'

    Puddin' Man, Apr 7, 2011

  2. Puddin' Man

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 06/04/2011 11:21 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
    > The system gives the following message:
    >
    > "The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event(overheating)
    > Service the unit right away to resolve this"
    >
    > and soon shuts down all power.
    >
    > I need to restore the system to functionality, but hardly know where to start.
    > Any/all help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Puddin'
    >
    > "Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule."

    Check out this posting:

    CPU was shutdown due to a thermal event (Overheating) - GIDForums
    "The problem was with the power pin connecting to the motherboard.
    It was not proper, and is too hot, which caused all these problems."
    http://www.gidforums.com/t-8183.html

    It seems perhaps the power supply was faulty.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 7, 2011

  3. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    I noticed that post last night.

    I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.

    How to reset Vcore???

    Thanks,

    Puddin' Man, Apr 7, 2011
  4. Puddin' Man

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 07/04/2011 1:28 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
    > I noticed that post last night.
    >
    > I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.
    >
    > How to reset Vcore???
    >
    > Thanks,

    Perhaps it's a contact on the motherboard itself? Maybe a soldier broke
    and lost contact?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 8, 2011
  5. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
    Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

    Thx,

    Puddin' Man, Apr 19, 2011
  6. Puddin' Man

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 18/04/2011 11:18 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
    > No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
    > Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

    Is this the first PSU or the replacement PSU?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Apr 20, 2011
  7. Puddin' Man

    Puddin' Man Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:28:11 -0400, Yousuf Khan <> wrote:

    >On 18/04/2011 11:18 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
    >> No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
    >> Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

    >Is this the first PSU or the replacement PSU?

    The 1st (original) PSU.

    The board wouldn't power with a replacement PSU.

    The system is dead, kaput, und Pues Muerta!

    But I recovered 95+% of my data.

    Puddin' Man, Jun 7, 2011