Major problem, nforce driver screwup

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Joe Somebody, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. Joe Somebody

    Joe Somebody Guest

    Ok, I was updating to the latest nforce drivers hoping to solve an IDE issue
    with their SW junk. So I uninstall my current drivers and reboot. Well now
    the system boots up to a black screen in normal mode. I know the system
    works in the background, cause hitting the power button causes it to do a
    normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.

    Attempting access in safe mode gets me to the logon screen, but my mouse and
    keyboard don't work. I even plugged in a PS2 mouse, and it won't work.

    Trying to go straight to the command prompt in safe mode didn't work either.

    Windows install disk repair function is worthless cause I'm denied access to
    trying to modify my files.

    Basically windows seems to have screwed up and there aren't any drivers to
    correct the issue, does anyone have an idea here? I'm thinking of a win98
    boot disk and trying to manually install some drivers, but I don't see that
    working. The main problem is that my main system is set up on a RAID so I
    can't just easily move 3 HDs onto another system. Now that I think of it, I
    imagine a boot disk won't be able to read the RAID...

    So am I up shit creek or is there some way to kick in system restore or
    something else?

    Joe Somebody, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Joe Somebody

    dave Guest

    Did you try select "Last known good configuration" after pressing F8?

    DaveL

    dave, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Joe Somebody

    Graham W Guest

    Joe Somebody wrote:
    <...> I know the system works in the background, cause hitting the power
    > button causes it to do a normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.

    The power button is very much hardware so is bound to work.

    Try Dave's suggestion.

    WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
    Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

    Graham W, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Joe Somebody

    Joe Somebody Guest

    yes, I think cause it boots but there is no video, it overwrote that so it
    didn't help. By going into vga mode I can get video with normal options,
    but still no mouse or kb. I saw this elsewhere, but there was no fix.

    Joe Somebody, Jul 25, 2006
  5. Joe Somebody

    Joe Somebody Guest

    The power button is a none issue, but I believe it booted fine because the
    system did not immediately shut down with a press, but acted just like
    pressing it with acpi and windows running, it shut itself down after like 8
    seconds of HD activity. It's also a non issue because even that isn't
    happening anymore.

    I can still get into safe mode and various other forms of regular mode, but
    I need a KB to fix the issue and for some reason it won't work. Don't
    suppose there is a way to force the drivers to load?

    Joe Somebody, Jul 25, 2006
  6. Joe Somebody

    dave Guest

    Forget the win98 boot disk. XP uses ntfs and you won't be able to see it.
    A ps2 keyboard and mouse should work fine in safe mode. Check settings in
    cmos. Make sure you have them plugged correctly. If all else fails, you
    can do a repair install using the XP cd.

    dave, Jul 25, 2006
  7. Joe Somebody

    Joe Somebody Guest

    yeah, forgot about ntfs...
    they don't work in safe mode, but they work for cmos and windows setup
    tasks... so something is screwy there. I mean how the hell does that
    happen, they're like the most basic of drivers...
    I can't do a repair, it isn't an option for whatever reason.
    I have a partition with no OS, I was thinking of putting server 2003 on
    there and then just transferring some files and starting over.

    Joe Somebody, Jul 25, 2006
  8. Joe Somebody

    dave Guest

    You could do a repair install if you supplied the floppy with the raid
    driver on it when it says press F6.

    dave, Jul 25, 2006
  9. Joe Somebody

    Task514

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I know its an old thread but did you found a solution to this problem?

    I'm running an ASUS board which has nForce4 and running into the same problem when tried to update SMBus drivers from nVidia.

    First it booted into black screen, now can't use mouse or keyboard in safe mode. It is not frozen cuz when I press the power button, it let me choose to shutdown or restart. I can't do sh1t with it now.

    There's nothing wrong with the keyboard cuz I can press f8 and choose safe mode. I'm actually booting into another hard drive running vista to find a solution. So yes my ps/2 keyboard is reconized by the bios and my usb mouse also.

    Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
    Task514, Sep 12, 2006