Major problems

Discussion in 'FIC' started by per4manz, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. per4manz

    per4manz Guest

    First, let me say I am a Mac user. However, I have no problem working
    my way around a PC (system & hardware) - it's good to be
    bilingual!

    I built a box for my kids last year since all they wanted to do was
    gaming. I got an AU13 and an Athlon XP 2500+ (for 100.00 new - geat
    deal). Graphics card is a PNY 5600 Ultra with 128MB of ram. HD is a
    Maxtor 200GB ATA133. Running 2k for the OS. 128MB of Corsair RAM.
    Everything went flawless and worked well for awhile.

    Recently the kids somehow hosed the system. At boot I would get an
    error about it not being able to find the Systemced file (which I have
    come to find out means System - the ced seams to mean nothing). So I
    tried to use the boot discs. It wouldn't even boot from that. I get
    the following error - "File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The
    error code is 7". Have swapped floppy drives from other working
    machines to no avail. Also swapped RAM slots - nothing. Swapped ram
    for a new Kingston 512MB DIMM intended for another machine - nothing.
    Verified HD is working by putting it in a different machine which
    gladly reinstalled 2k and booted without problems. Cleared CMOS
    numerous times. Pulled all cards/drives, cleared CMOS, pulled battery
    and reinstalled one-by-one - nothing. It is not the boot disc either
    as I tried a 95 and 98 boot disc and get errors on it as well. What
    is the problem?

    Please help before I go buy a different brand board, which if I do,
    what to get? Thanks!

    per4manz, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Hey, per4manz.

    Doing a little bit of digging, it sounds like the SYSTEMced error is
    caused because the SYSTEM portion of the registry cannot be loaded into
    the first 16 MB of memory. I seriously doubt that your kids' registry
    would have grown that large, so that makes me think it is a problem with
    the BIOS or the memory itself.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269075

    The ntkrnlmp.exe error also seems to be caused by bad BIOS settings or
    bad RAM:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318729

    However, you say that you have swapped out the memory, and that did not
    help. You also stated that you reset the BIOS, and that did not help,
    either. Even using a Windows 95 or Windows 98 boot floppy gives
    problems, so it is certainly not a Windows issue.

    You may try going into the BIOS to make sure the CPU and RAM are
    actually running at the correct speeds, or even try to underclock them.
    If the BIOS has a temperature/voltage monitoring section, make sure
    that the voltages are within +/-5% of spec. If you have another power
    supply laying around, you may try that.

    Take a look at the motherboard for bulging or leaking capacitors. Take
    a look at http://www.badcaps.net for examples. If you have bad
    capacitors, that could explain your problems. If you have soldering
    skills, you may be able to fix it yourself for cheap.

    If you do end up replacing the motherboard, I can say that the Epox
    8RDA+ motherboard I have now is the best motherboard I have ever owned.
    It is a discontinued model now, but if you look at a place like
    Newegg, you may be able to find another Epox NForce2 board to replace it.

    Good luck!

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Dec 22, 2004

  3. per4manz

    Kylesb Guest

    I had this same error, the cause was a hardware failure of some sort
    (which recently finally identified itself as a bad stick of ram) and
    the system "hive" got bloated. Alex gave you some good links, there
    is an MS article on the error, and there is a chance your original
    hive files are usable to get the system working. However, if you
    formatted with NTFS, the process is more arduous. If you formatted
    fat32, then a simple boot disk can be used to "copy" the original hive
    files.

    First check the system hive file sizes. Mine got bloated by a driver
    writing the same string over and over into the file (this is my guess
    as to what happened upon analyzing the bloated hive file).

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Dec 23, 2004
  4. per4manz

    per4manz Guest

    Thanks for the responses guys. After some testing upon retesting I
    found that the computer would try to boot to a 98 floppy. However, it
    kept telling my the that himem.sys and others could not be loaded, or
    were missing, or were corrupt. I kept toying with the thing and
    realized the red drive light was staying on. Did some more tinkering
    and noticed that at boot time the only two drives to show up were the
    CD drive and floppy. I then remembered I have the MaxBlast 3 disc
    that came with the HD so I tried it. It booted, but couldn't see the
    drive. I then put the CD and HD on seperate busses (even though the
    HD was set to master and CD to slave and all was connected properly)
    and MaxBlast finally saw the drive. I was able to wipe it and
    partition it (since it's a 200 GB drive 2k sp1 can only see 137 at a
    time). After that, it still wouldn't boot all the way from a set of
    floppies. It kept having problems with disc 1 & 3. I remade them
    several times. I also tested the boot floppies on my only other
    working 2k system and it wouldn't boot it either. It kept coming up
    with the same error from my original post. Rebooted back into 2k and
    found that both the actual disc 1 & 3 were bad. Finally decided
    to build a bootable 2k Install CD and have had no problems since.

    Now I would like to update my BIOS. I have version TFA42 installed.
    FICs websites say that TFA41 is the most current. Do BIOS numbers
    ususally progress backwards? Seems odd. Also, there sites are very
    confusing about how to go about doing it, especially in regards to 2k.
    I do not have any machines running anything other than 2k, so how do
    I go about this?

    Any more help will be greatly appreciated.

    One other thing. I did send an email to FICs tech support through
    their website - it came back undeliverable. All I have to say is that
    this is the one and only FIC I will own after this. I cannot even
    find out how long the warranty is good for on this board. I do have
    an ASUS on order, but am not sure if I will need it now. Any
    comments?

    per4manz, Dec 28, 2004
  5. per4manz

    per4manz Guest

    Duplicate. Please delete

    per4manz, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Hey, per4manz.

    I took a look at the BIOS update pages, and apparently the different
    websites have different information. For example, the Taiwan website
    says that the current version is TFA42 if you have a version 1.2 board,
    but TFD41 (not TFA41) if you have a version 1.4 board.

    If you are unsure of the version number of your board, try looking for
    some markings somewhere on the motherboard... it is often (but not
    always) near the keyboard connector. The BIOSes for the different
    versions are often NOT compatible, so be careful. My guess is that you
    have a 1.2 board.

    http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/bios.aspx?model_id=118
    ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/bios/socketa/au13/

    You will probably want to create a boot disk to flash the BIOS. As you
    say, this is a problem with Windows 2000, especially since that is the
    only version of Windows you have. I recommend going to
    http://www.bootdisk.com and grab one of their "Driver Free Disk For Bios
    Flashing" files. Download it, run it, and it will create a boot floppy
    for you, using DR-DOS. I know this website looks like a virus waiting
    to happen, but it does work. If not, try asking around your friends or
    coworkers for a boot disk.

    Some BIOSes actually have an embedded BIOS flashing utility. As you
    boot the computer, you may see a message like "press Alt-F2 for flashing
    utility". I have no idea if the AU13 has this or not, though.

    I may not be around to answer your messages for a week or so, so if I do
    not answer, it is not that I am ignoring you. In the meantime, if you
    are looking for another source of help, you may try the FIC forum at
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum .

    Good luck!

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Dec 28, 2004