Matrox G400 please need help w/ MSI KT4V

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Ken, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 11:12:22 -0700, "Nick Jr III"
    <> wrote:

    > I've bought a *new* Matrox card on ebay to replace my old Millenium PCI but
    > I experience some troubles.
    >
    > I installed the card into a MSI Mobo (KT4V - Via KT400 - AGP1/2/4/8?) but
    > when I want to power up my PC, it won't boot !
    > When the card is uninstalled, my PC boots again...
    >
    > Please, I ask you for help.
    > The card is labelled G4+MDHA32G bios rev. 1.09 and 906-01 REV. : A (1999).
    >
    > Thank you very much !

    Are the PSU powerful enough?

    Nick Jr III, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Ken

    Nick Jr III Guest

    Thanks Ken for your reply !
    Yes the PSU is powerful enought.

    I've found this:

    "All G400 boards are fully capable of running in both 3.3 and 1.5 V AGP
    slots. However, some old revision boards may need a slight modification.
    This is becuase the AGP 2X revision of the G400 boards does not have AGP
    connector pin A2 (TYPEDET#) hardwired to ground (you can check this with a
    multimeter). Newer AGP 4x revisions do have pin A2 wired to ground. Some AGP
    4X/8X (1.5V only) use the TYPEDET# signal to detect whether a card can run
    at 1.5 V. If pin A2 is not at ground potential, they may refuse to boot...
    this causes a problem for our old G400s.

    Solution: install a zero value resistor (or a small wire) at location R68 of
    the G400 pcb (look in the large thread for a picture). This will ground pin
    A2; then everything will work fine. I have tested this procedure with
    success on my G400 MAX."

    It appears my card needs a such modification.
    But how to do this ? :-(

    Nick Jr III, Aug 9, 2004
  4. Ken

    Nick Jr III Guest

    I think I got the solution Ken.
    The A2 pin should be grounded :)
    e.g. the graphic board's slot cover.

    Have you ever heard of this problem ?
    Is it safe to da such a trick ?
    It appears to be the only way to get this card work with newest mobo...

    Nick Jr III, Aug 9, 2004