Matrox G550 (maybe a clone) makes no more than 1280x1024 (?)

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Jon J Panury, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. Jon J Panury

    Jon J Panury Guest

    Recently ebay-ed a Matrox G550 (for but little money, but still...)
    and now found out that no greater solution than 1280x1024 is
    available.
    The CD that came with the card is labelled
    "Millennium G550" and "20082 Bulk CD"

    The driver version installed is 5.72.21.0

    Does anyone know if there exists (and how to come by) a more recent
    driver that night possibly feature 1600x1200 as well.

    I admit I haven't taken into account that *any* graphics card nowadays
    would miss that solution...

    The www.matrox.com HP does not really lead to some support for those
    older cards.

    JJ
    Jon J Panury, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Jon J Panury

    Jon J Panury Guest

    Meanwhile, I found a driver download site where I obtained
    version 5.96.4.0 Date: 2006-03-02

    Should think this be the most recent version, but alas: still not more
    than them 1280x1024, to say 1280x960 with my 4:3 Monitor (a 20"
    ViewSonic with the native resolution 1600x1200).

    Any tweaks known of?

    JJ
    Jon J Panury, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Jon J Panury

    Frodo Guest

    Have you tried installing the latest monitor inf file for your Viewsonic?

    Frodo, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Jon J Panury

    Jon J Panury Guest

    "Frodo" <> schrieb:

    >Have you tried installing the latest monitor inf file for your Viewsonic?

    No, but meanwhile solved the "problem" which in fact wasn't one.

    I was speaking of DVI Monitor feed. And yes, Matrox say on their HP at
    the G550 specifications page that 1280x1024 were the maximum DVI
    resolution with this card.

    So, the card is fully alright though not meeting my requirements.
    Moreover, I found it doesn't support ActiveX recent enough to have
    e.g. Google Earth run at all.

    Will return to the card I had before: a Geforce Ti4600. Only fault
    with that one was the fan noise; removed fan, which resulted in a heat
    problem - but esclusively those hot days now over, and but with Google
    Earth. Think I can cope with this a lot easier than with the emerged
    Matrox' weaknesses.

    JJ
    Jon J Panury, Aug 8, 2006