Mavericks install over OSX 10.6.8

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Savageduck, Oct 24, 2013.

  1. Savageduck

    Savageduck Guest

    I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
    surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
    inch 2011 vintage iMac.
    Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.

    I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
    as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
    these days is Chrome).

    I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and
    Lightroom4 (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.

    So far, so good.

    --
    Regards,

    Savageduck

    Savageduck, Oct 24, 2013

  2. Savageduck

    dorayme Guest

    In article <2013102322545225228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6

    Don't forget to let us know about this...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 24, 2013

  3. In article <2013102322545225228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

    > I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
    > surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
    > inch 2011 vintage iMac.
    > Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.
    >
    > I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
    > as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
    > these days is Chrome).
    >
    > I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and
    > Lightroom4 (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.
    >
    > So far, so good.

    I use HyperDock for Dock previews and OpenSpaces to replace Open Spaces.

    Michael Vilain, Oct 24, 2013
  4. Savageduck

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2013.10.24, 01:54 , Savageduck wrote:
    > I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
    > surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
    > inch 2011 vintage iMac.

    In "Mac speak" vintage begins around 2007 ;-)

    > Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.

    The advantages of starting later than some of us... not that it really
    mattered - did other things...

    > I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change, as
    > I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice these
    > days is Chrome).
    >
    > I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and Lightroom4
    > (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.
    >
    > So far, so good.

    Some minor nits - quickly solved. I do notice in Monitor that Chrome
    Helper is persistently in "Not Responding" state - but it hasn't caused
    an issue. If I kill (Simple quit from Monitor) it, a new Helper is
    started and it too eventually (a few minutes) falls into that state.

    --
    "Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another."
    -Ambrose Bierce

    Alan Browne, Oct 24, 2013
  5. Savageduck

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2013-10-24 21:06:45 +0000, Alan Browne
    <> said:

    > On 2013.10.24, 01:54 , Savageduck wrote:
    >> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
    >> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
    >> inch 2011 vintage iMac.

    > In "Mac speak" vintage begins around 2007 ;-)

    In my little collection of Macs I have them going back to 1997. That is
    a particularly awful Performa 6400.

    >> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.

    > The advantages of starting later than some of us... not that it really
    > mattered - did other things...
    >
    >> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change, as
    >> I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice these
    >> days is Chrome).
    >>
    >> I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and Lightroom4
    >> (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.
    >>
    >> So far, so good.

    > Some minor nits - quickly solved. I do notice in Monitor that Chrome
    > Helper is persistently in "Not Responding" state - but it hasn't caused
    > an issue. If I kill (Simple quit from Monitor) it, a new Helper is
    > started and it too eventually (a few minutes) falls into that state.

    It did kill off my MS OfficeX which is a Carbon app, but I have that on
    another machine. However, most surprising my VMWare Fusion 4.1.3 fired
    up with barely a cough and one request to update, along with my copy of
    Win XP SP3 & Office 2003.

    --
    Regards,

    Savageduck

    Savageduck, Oct 25, 2013
  6. Savageduck

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2013.10.24, 19:00 , Savageduck wrote:

    > It did kill off my MS OfficeX which is a Carbon app, but I have that on
    > another machine. However, most surprising my VMWare Fusion 4.1.3 fired
    > up with barely a cough and one request to update, along with my copy of
    > Win XP SP3 & Office 2003.

    ML forced me to update to Fusion 5 from (IIRC 3). No issues.

    Alan Browne, Oct 25, 2013
  7. Savageduck

    gtr Guest

    On 2013-10-24 05:54:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

    > I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
    > surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
    > inch 2011 vintage iMac.
    > Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.
    >
    > I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
    > as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
    > these days is Chrome).

    Have you tried TotalSpaces2? I never used Spaces with the Mac, and
    after a discussion here I tried TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my
    environment.

    gtr, Oct 25, 2013
  8. Savageduck

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2013-10-25 17:07:40 +0000, gtr <> said:

    > On 2013-10-24 05:54:52 +0000, Savageduck said:
    >
    >> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
    >> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
    >> inch 2011 vintage iMac.
    >> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.
    >>
    >> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
    >> as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
    >> these days is Chrome).

    > Have you tried TotalSpaces2?

    I haven't needed to until now. Thanks, I will check it out.

    > I never used Spaces with the Mac, and after a discussion here I tried
    > TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my environment.

    I used 4 spaces. All browsing and email was locked to one space, one
    for Usenet, another for Photoshop & Lightroom, and one to use as a
    general desktop for all other tasks. This made life simple when having
    multiple apps open. Just move the cursor to a hot corner to select the
    appropriate space, or select from the finder tool bar.

    I knew that there had been changes to the way "OpenSpaces" worked in
    Lion and that was one of the reasons I stuck with SL back then. Now,
    there is a complete change with Mavericks. For now I will see about
    familiarizing myself with the new system. If I truly can't deal with it
    I will explore TotalSpaces2.

    --
    Regards,

    Savageduck

    Savageduck, Oct 25, 2013
  9. Savageduck

    gtr Guest

    On 2013-10-25 18:06:28 +0000, Savageduck said:

    >> I never used Spaces with the Mac, and after a discussion here I tried
    >> TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my environment.

    > I used 4 spaces. All browsing and email was locked to one space, one
    > for Usenet, another for Photoshop & Lightroom, and one to use as a
    > general desktop for all other tasks. This made life simple when having
    > multiple apps open. Just move the cursor to a hot corner to select the
    > appropriate space, or select from the finder tool bar.

    I had no idea that this kind of multi-space environment was of any use.
    In fact I think I had snarky things to say about it here but got
    push-back. Shortly thereafter I got TotalSpaces in a bundle and began
    using it in similar ways 1) Open use, 2) Mail, calendar, Reminders,
    Address Book and Messaging 3) Music related, 4) Music production, 3)
    Writing programs, 4) iTunes. I couldn't believe how quickly I adapted
    to it.

    > I knew that there had been changes to the way "OpenSpaces" worked in
    > Lion and that was one of the reasons I stuck with SL back then. Now,
    > there is a complete change with Mavericks. For now I will see about
    > familiarizing myself with the new system. If I truly can't deal with it
    > I will explore TotalSpaces2.

    Part of what converted me to TotalSpaces was using TotalFinder, written
    by the same crew.

    gtr, Oct 28, 2013
  10. Savageduck

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2013-10-28 02:14:31 +0000, gtr <> said:

    > On 2013-10-25 18:06:28 +0000, Savageduck said:
    >
    >>> I never used Spaces with the Mac, and after a discussion here I tried
    >>> TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my environment.

    >> I used 4 spaces. All browsing and email was locked to one space, one
    >> for Usenet, another for Photoshop & Lightroom, and one to use as a
    >> general desktop for all other tasks. This made life simple when having
    >> multiple apps open. Just move the cursor to a hot corner to select the
    >> appropriate space, or select from the finder tool bar.

    > I had no idea that this kind of multi-space environment was of any use.
    > In fact I think I had snarky things to say about it here but got
    > push-back. Shortly thereafter I got TotalSpaces in a bundle and began
    > using it in similar ways 1) Open use, 2) Mail, calendar, Reminders,
    > Address Book and Messaging 3) Music related, 4) Music production, 3)
    > Writing programs, 4) iTunes. I couldn't believe how quickly I adapted
    > to it.

    Moving from one space to another has been second nature to me in SL. I
    have been working with the Mavericks Mission Control set up and the way
    the desktop works now. That said, I believe TotalSpaces2 is in my
    future.

    --
    Regards,

    Savageduck

    Savageduck, Oct 28, 2013
  11. Savageduck

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2013-10-25 18:06:28 +0000, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

    > On 2013-10-25 17:07:40 +0000, gtr <> said:
    >
    >> On 2013-10-24 05:54:52 +0000, Savageduck said:
    >>
    >>> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
    >>> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
    >>> inch 2011 vintage iMac.
    >>> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.
    >>>
    >>> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
    >>> as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
    >>> these days is Chrome).

    >> Have you tried TotalSpaces2?

    > I haven't needed to until now. Thanks, I will check it out.
    >
    >> I never used Spaces with the Mac, and after a discussion here I tried
    >> TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my environment.

    > I used 4 spaces. All browsing and email was locked to one space, one
    > for Usenet, another for Photoshop & Lightroom, and one to use as a
    > general desktop for all other tasks. This made life simple when having
    > multiple apps open. Just move the cursor to a hot corner to select the
    > appropriate space, or select from the finder tool bar.
    >
    > I knew that there had been changes to the way "OpenSpaces" worked in
    > Lion and that was one of the reasons I stuck with SL back then. Now,
    > there is a complete change with Mavericks. For now I will see about
    > familiarizing myself with the new system. If I truly can't deal with it
    > I will explore TotalSpaces2.

    I have been playing with the 10.9 implementation of "Spaces" and I have
    been surprised at how easily it works.

    After exposing the "Mission Control" desktop by moving the cursor to
    the Hot corner in the upper right, with the cursor on the right edge of
    the display there is a subdued thumbnail at that edge. Clicking on that
    thumbnail produces an additional "desktop".

    In my case I have produced 4 desktops with various apps dedicated to
    each. This works much as I had used "Open Spaces" in 10.6.8.
    Just invoking "Mission Control" by moving the cursor to a "Hot corner"
    gives a set of thumbnails across the top; "Dashboard + the 4 desktops.
    I can move between them at will.
    < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_347.jpg >

    So for now I will live with what 10.9 has delivered and I will wait on
    "TotalSpaces2".

    --
    Regards,

    Savageduck