    would partition the drive anyway but is there any problem with using
    this large drive on my D600?

    David

    vbDavidC, Jun 8, 2009

  2. vbDavidC

    Rich/rerat Guest

    David.
    I see the possible problems with installing the larger drive:
    1. Running time on "battery only" may be reduced (battery drain). Laptop
    attached with AC adapter should be no problem.
    2. Will need to update to latest BIOS version for that laptop, this might be
    needed to handle large partitions.
    3. Make sure that you back up all important files before running the cloning
    process, so no data is lost if something goes wrong.
    4. There might be an increase in internal heat for system components. You
    should consider purchasing a "cooler" pad. You should already have one if
    you use the notebook as a desktop. See examples at:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260319 1276817102&name=Cooler

    --
    Have a Good Day,
    Rich/rerat

    "vbDavidC" <> wrote in message
    My current notebook (with XP) has a 60GB IDE hard drive after
    upgrading it from a 40GB drive a couple of years ago.

    I was looking at buying a 350GB IDE hard drive for the system. I

    Rich/rerat, Jun 8, 2009

  3. Hi!

    > I was looking at buying a 350GB IDE hard drive for the system.

    Be sure it's IDE/PATA and not SATA. The largest 2.5" notebook hard
    drive I could find in PATA was that from Western Digital, at 320GB.

    You may have problems. The Latitude D800 lacks 48-bit LBA support in
    its BIOS. This is a curious omission when many older Dell systems *do*
    have such support. If your D600 does not, you will only see the first
    137GB of the drive when it is installed.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jun 8, 2009
  4. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    Thanks for the info,

    William, it definitely will be a PATA drive. Your info was helpful
    although probably not what I wanted to hear. I will determine if my
    laptop has that limitation. I hope not. But if not I can live with
    my 60GB drive and keep all my large files on an external drive.

    vbDavidC, Jun 12, 2009
  5. vbDavidC

    vbDavidC Guest

    William,

    It seems like it will work based on some info I found.

    I checked the internet and found the following. I think I have heard
    this argument in the past about the BIOS may not support it but the OS
    can.

    The listed the articles below. The last posting seems the most
    definite that it is doable.

    ARTICLE 1

    ^ Wrong.

    If a 160 GB hard drive is installed in a Latitude D600 portable
    computer, the system BIOS will report the drive size as 137 GB.
    Systems developed prior to availability of 48-bit LBA drives may not
    include support for these drives at the BIOS level. The drive size
    will be reported correctly in the operating system and will function
    normally.

    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=641116

    ARTICLE 2 (Here is a snippet of another post regarding the original XP
    (pre SP1) )

    Well that was an NTFS limitation with the original XP only supporting
    32bit LBA wasn't so it couldn't support a NTFS volume over 127gb in
    size so therefore it's a limitation. XP SP1 or above supports 48bit
    LBA and doesn't have this limitation.

    SAME ARTICLE ANOTHER POST REFERENCING A D600

    That I can go out and buy a Western Digital 1TB external drive and it
    will be ~ 937 GB formatted, one partition FAT 32 means yes a FAT 32
    drive can go above 32 GB.

    Microsoft imposed a limit with their installers to restrict a FAT 32
    volume to 32 GB, there are no MS tools that will happily format over
    the Redmond imposed limit.

    As said, it's the LBA issue, irrespective of whether it's NTFS Fat32
    or anything. Service Pack 2 in XP addressed that, so if your copy of
    XP predates that you'll need to follow the other solutions suggested
    in this thread.

    While you're at it, I have no idea as to what motherboard is being
    used, consider a BIOS flash – some BIOSes also had a similar problem
    in recognizing large capacity drives.

    For example I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop, the latest version of
    the BIOS (a16) refuses to show anything above 127GB, but once Windows
    XP SP2 went on it, I could see the entire 250GB disk I put into it.

    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1198140.html

    vbDavidC, Jun 12, 2009
  6. vbDavidC

    up_live1314

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    China
    Partition Assistant can solve your problem, and you will very pleased that it has free edition, I promise--Partition Assistant Home Edition.
    Then, I suggest you read the article first--Guidelines on how to partition a hard drive by Creating, Deleting, Formatting and Resizing Partition, you also can find that is helpful for ur problem.
    extend-partition.com/resource/how-to-partition-a-hard-drive.html

    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
    up_live1314, Sep 26, 2010