    Chaintech, etc, etc...
    What's good versus crap?

    Thanx for any help.

    Skybluepink, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Skybluepink

    Aki Peltola Guest

    "Skybluepink" <> wrote
    > ....as I'm aware that *no one* outside of id software knows exactly what

    its
    > gonna take to run Doom 3, but I have a friend who's looking to up his

    video
    > card (has a Geforce 2), and I'm not sure what to tell him to get.

    Man these guys do amaze me. Wouldn't it be more reasonable
    to look games at the moment than go along with this Doom3-
    farce?

    Don't the developers of Doom3 have some kind of contracts
    with NVidia etc.? So this is exactly what They want, Doom-
    fanatics buying new video cards "ready for Doom3" and that
    brings money for them without having to do anything.

    If video card is powerful enough to, for example run Thief3
    or Far Cry well, I think Doom3 will run fine also. I DOUBT
    that Doom3 will offer anything so damn special when it's
    released. If it's ever released.

    Aki Peltola, Jun 14, 2004

  3. I think you get a 9800 pro for that amount of money, or at least a 5900xt

    "Skybluepink" <> skrev i melding
    > ....as I'm aware that *no one* outside of id software knows exactly what

    its
    > gonna take to run Doom 3, but I have a friend who's looking to up his

    video
    > card (has a Geforce 2), and I'm not sure what to tell him to get.
    >
    > He (most likely) can't spend over $200, and I so far told him not to go
    > beneath a 5700- but is that "good enough"?
    > He doesn't necessarily need AA/AF and all options turned up to the max,

    but

    Vegar Skogland, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Skybluepink

    Dark Avenger Guest

    > Man these guys do amaze me. Wouldn't it be more reasonable
    > to look games at the moment than go along with this Doom3-
    > farce?
    >
    > Don't the developers of Doom3 have some kind of contracts
    > with NVidia etc.? So this is exactly what They want, Doom-
    > fanatics buying new video cards "ready for Doom3" and that
    > brings money for them without having to do anything.
    >
    > If video card is powerful enough to, for example run Thief3
    > or Far Cry well, I think Doom3 will run fine also. I DOUBT
    > that Doom3 will offer anything so damn special when it's
    > released. If it's ever released.

    Oh, but don't you know it will be released, in a double pack with Duke
    Nukem Forever and a coupon for the Ghost game system!

    Dark Avenger, Jun 14, 2004
  5. Skybluepink

    Lee Guest

    The 5700 series only has a 128bit buswidth and 4 pipelines he really wants
    something with 256bit buswidth and 8 pipelines to be sure doom3 plays nicely
    imo and for the price difference he would be silly buying a 5700 over a
    newer card imo i would tell him to go either a FX5900 or an ATI 9800 pro
    personally i say the 9800 pro.

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:09:44 GMT, "Skybluepink" <>
    wrote:

    >:>....as I'm aware that *no one* outside of id software knows exactly what its
    >:>gonna take to run Doom 3, but I have a friend who's looking to up his video
    >:>card (has a Geforce 2), and I'm not sure what to tell him to get.
    >:>
    >:>He (most likely) can't spend over $200, and I so far told him not to go
    >:>beneath a 5700- but is that "good enough"?
    >:>He doesn't necessarily need AA/AF and all options turned up to the max, but
    >:>he wants it to run decent.
    >:>Any suggestions?
    >:>
    >:>Also- which brand of card should he get/avoid? Since there's BFG, Aopen,
    >:>Chaintech, etc, etc...
    >:>What's good versus crap?
    >:>
    >:>Thanx for any help.
    >:>

    -----
    Lee.

    Lee, Jun 14, 2004
  6. Skybluepink

    Darthy Guest

    <> wrote:

    >....as I'm aware that *no one* outside of id software knows exactly what its
    >gonna take to run Doom 3, but I have a friend who's looking to up his video
    >card (has a Geforce 2), and I'm not sure what to tell him to get.
    >
    >He (most likely) can't spend over $200, and I so far told him not to go
    >beneath a 5700- but is that "good enough"?
    >He doesn't necessarily need AA/AF and all options turned up to the max, but
    >he wants it to run decent.
    >Any suggestions?

    Whenever the game comes out... which maybe about the time when HL2
    comes out... (Doom3 was supposed to require a GF3 card... which is now
    1/10 the power of today's hotrods)...

    But the chances are, you friend is most likely completely out-dated...
    At least a 3000 class CPU or faster with an ATI9800Pro or 5900Ultra
    card or better for minimal GOOD graphics and performance.

    When HL2/D3 comes out I think the X800Pro/6800U will be 4 months old
    and sellng for $300... that will be the time to "upgrade".

    5700Ultra? Blah... Considering how much power Far Cry needs and how
    it studders on my 5900 which is easily TWICE the performance of a
    5700Ultra.... you should forget such a lowly card (That costs as much
    as a 5900xt).

    You;re looking a whole system upgrade. Some. At least the $350 video
    card (X800/6800U) and an AMD64 3200 cpu (just under $300) with 1GB RAM
    should do it.

    But hey... perhaps Doom3 will come out when the Z800 and 7800 Video
    cards are out?

    - - - - -
    Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

    - 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
    - White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
    God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

    Darthy, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Skybluepink

    DaveW Guest

    It's NOT just a matter of which video card he's using; the makeup of the
    entire system is relevant. Which CPU and RAM is he using, for instance. It
    MATTERS. Based on the video card he is using I would have to say that his
    overall system is too old/slow to handle Doom 3.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Skybluepink

    First of One Guest

    What games does your friend want to play NOW that he can't with the GF2? If
    all he cares about is Doom III, upgrade when the game's released.

    First of One, Jun 15, 2004
  9. Skybluepink

    Skybluepink Guest

    Well, to clarify, D3 isn't the only thing he's looking to play- also racing
    games, some sort of RTS I never heard of before and some that I have. Its
    just that D3 is the most taxing thing he would want in the foreseeable
    future, so he figured if he can handle that everything else will be fine for
    the time being.

    His system is actually pretty up to date- P4 @ 3.4Ghz, 512MB PC3200- except
    for the video card. He's been working at it piece by piece, and that was
    the last component to get upgraded, current one being the leftover from his
    old system.

    So, sounds like I should tell him to save up for just a little longer and go
    with the 5900.
    Might be a hard sell, as he's thinking "more mem must be better" and would
    likely want a 5700 ultra over a 5900, but I'll show him the comments here-
    don't want him wasting his money.

    The other part of my question- quality of cards: are all the various makers
    pretty much equal?
    No one made comment on that, if there's a favored brand or not.

    Skybluepink, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Skybluepink

    deimos Guest

    Skybluepink wrote:

    > ....as I'm aware that *no one* outside of id software knows exactly what its
    > gonna take to run Doom 3, but I have a friend who's looking to up his video
    > card (has a Geforce 2), and I'm not sure what to tell him to get.
    >
    > He (most likely) can't spend over $200, and I so far told him not to go
    > beneath a 5700- but is that "good enough"?
    > He doesn't necessarily need AA/AF and all options turned up to the max, but
    > he wants it to run decent.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Also- which brand of card should he get/avoid? Since there's BFG, Aopen,
    > Chaintech, etc, etc...
    > What's good versus crap?
    >
    > Thanx for any help.

    6800GT, you should be seeing them real soon in stores. I almost think
    NVidia's holding up the D3 launch till they can get better chip yields.

    deimos, Jun 16, 2004