    Photoshop edits 16 bits per RGB channel. Can someone tell me
    how to translate "...(32-bit)" to bits per RGB channel?

    --David

    J David Ellis, Dec 18, 2006

  2. "J David Ellis" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality as "Highest
    > (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of number of bits per RGB channel?

    This means each channel gets 8 bits. The extra 8 bits are either wasted or
    used for an alpha channel (transparency).

    Here's how Wikipedia describes it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#32-bit_color

    Eddie Aftandilian, Dec 18, 2006

  3. J David Ellis

    RnR Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:16:07 -0800, J David Ellis <>
    wrote:

    >When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality
    >as "Highest (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of
    >number of bits per RGB channel?
    >
    >My Dimension 8400 has a Radeon X300 Series display adapter
    >and a Dell E173FP 1280x1024 display. I want to get a display
    >& adapter that have a lot more pixels but I don't want to
    >reduce the number of displayable colors.
    >
    >My digital camera records 12-bits per RGB channel and
    >Photoshop edits 16 bits per RGB channel. Can someone tell me
    >how to translate "...(32-bit)" to bits per RGB channel?
    >
    >--David

    Perhaps try to ask in these newsgroups:

    rec.photo.digital
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    RnR, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Mr. Aftandilian, thank you for pointing out my math is not
    so bad as I had thought. :=) Mystery resolved.
    --David

    J David Ellis, Dec 18, 2006
  5. J David Ellis

    Tom Scales Guest

    > When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality as "Highest
    > (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of number of bits per RGB channel?
    >
    > My Dimension 8400 has a Radeon X300 Series display adapter and a Dell
    > E173FP 1280x1024 display. I want to get a display & adapter that have a
    > lot more pixels but I don't want to reduce the number of displayable
    > colors.
    >
    > My digital camera records 12-bits per RGB channel and Photoshop edits 16
    > bits per RGB channel. Can someone tell me how to translate "...(32-bit)"
    > to bits per RGB channel?
    >
    > --David

    You definately don't need a new card. Photoshop requires almost no video
    card power and 32 bits far exceeds your camera.

    Tom Scales, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Well, you can thank him, but I'm not sure it's the right answer.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 18, 2006