    Card Reader [Part #5508744R]. I'm about to purchase a new digital camera
    which takes either SD or SDHC memory cards. If I buy 4gb SDHC memory for the
    new camera, will my media card reader recognize it?
    Steve Mavronis, Mar 16, 2008

  2. Steve Mavronis

    Stan Guest

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:54:14 -0400, "Steve Mavronis"
    <> wrote:

    >If I buy 4gb SDHC memory for the
    >new camera, will my media card reader recognize it?

    I can't answer that but do know that if it will not, then all you have
    to do is hook your new camera directly to the computer via the
    provided USB umbilical and transfer the images to the computer that
    way.

    One point from a photographer about HC cards.... I shoot in RAW
    format which means that I can get 160 images on a single 2gig SD card.
    This also means that I can get around twice that many shots on a 4gig
    SDHC card and so on with the new 8gig & 12gig SDHC cards. So why do I
    not just shoot on HC cards? If a card goes belly up on me, the larger
    the card, the more shots I will probably loose. And I have had cards
    go south on me so don't think it don't happen. That's why some of
    your high dollar pro cameras have the capability of recording on two
    cards at one time (Redundancy). When I shoot pay gigs, I usually
    shoot them on a bunch of 1 gig cards and in some instances like a high
    dollar wedding, even shoot the whole gig on a hand full of 512meg
    cards... Just In Case!

    I can change a card out in 5 seconds so why risk the whole shoot on
    one card? One last example. I just read a thread on a photo forum
    where a couple lost their entire photo record of their once in a
    lifetime European vacation because the HC card they recorded the WHOLE
    vacation on went belly up.

    Just something to think of...... How important are your photos?

    Regards,
    Stan, Mar 16, 2008

  3. Thanks Stan, very good advice not to put all eggs in one basket as far as
    memory cards go. I will stay away from the HC cards. I generally upload
    pictures to my PC the same day but you are right. If you are on vacation for
    a week, anything can happen before you get back home! I'm thinking of
    getting the new Nikon Coolpix P50 (1st choice) or the new Canon Powershot
    A590 IS. Both are 8mp cameras. This is to replace my old 3mp Canon Powershot
    A75 camera that finally broke. Back in the late 70's I used to take,
    develop, and print my own photos. I still have my old 35mm Nikon FM from
    1977 but the internal light meter no longer works.

    Steve

    Steve Mavronis, Mar 16, 2008
  4. My typo below: Nikon Coolpix P50 should read P60 instead!

    Steve Mavronis, Mar 16, 2008
  5. Steve Mavronis

    Stan Guest

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:39:56 -0400, "Steve Mavronis"
    <> wrote:

    >I still have my old 35mm Nikon FM from
    >1977 but the internal light meter no longer works.

    So do I, a mint conditioned Black Body FM and a mint conditioned Black
    Body FE2 both with the original boxes and paperwork along with a
    bucket load of Nikkor AI lenses. Also still have my Beseler Color Lab
    but not setup any more. I plan on selling the color lab but I just
    can't bring myself to part with the FM and FE2 but if I ever did I
    would let the FE2 go long before I ever part with that trusty old
    manual FM. Actually, I plan on taking the FM to the grave with me
    (grin).

    I now shoot digital mostly as I can do so much more with a hi-res Raw
    image and Photoshop CS3 & assorted plugins than I could with a 35mm
    negative and darkroom. I now shoot a Nikon D300 (new) and D200 with a
    D80 as backup (the D80 uses the SD Cards).

    Since you have experience with a SLR (Nikon FM), why not go with a
    DSLR for your next camera? I know it will cost a bit more than what
    you have mentioned but there are some nice kits out there for less
    than $500 like the Nikon D40 Kit and now that the new Nikon D60 has
    come out, I think the Nikon D40X Kit may drop below $500 just to clear
    out inventories.

    BTW, there is a an extremely cheap and small little card reader that
    lets you connect a SDHC card directly to your USB port keeping you
    from having to use your camera. The SanDisk MobileMate SD+. Its a
    very small reader that plugs into your USB port and then you plug your
    SDHC or miniSDHC into that. Cost $7 to $14 depending on where you get
    it. Small enough to tuck into your camera bag.

    Regards,
    Stan, Mar 16, 2008
  6. Steve Mavronis

    jimrx4 Guest

    I gotta GW GM5478 with a 9 card reader. No problem here when reading SD
    cards.

    jimrx4, Mar 21, 2008
  7. "Stan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:54:14 -0400, "Steve Mavronis"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>If I buy 4gb SDHC memory for the
    >>new camera, will my media card reader recognize it?

    > I can't answer that but do know that if it will not, then all you have
    > to do is hook your new camera directly to the computer via the
    > provided USB umbilical and transfer the images to the computer that
    > way.
    >
    > One point from a photographer about HC cards.... I shoot in RAW
    > format which means that I can get 160 images on a single 2gig SD card.
    > This also means that I can get around twice that many shots on a 4gig
    > SDHC card and so on with the new 8gig & 12gig SDHC cards. So why do I
    > not just shoot on HC cards? If a card goes belly up on me, the larger
    > the card, the more shots I will probably loose. And I have had cards
    > go south on me so don't think it don't happen. That's why some of
    > your high dollar pro cameras have the capability of recording on two
    > cards at one time (Redundancy). When I shoot pay gigs, I usually
    > shoot them on a bunch of 1 gig cards and in some instances like a high
    > dollar wedding, even shoot the whole gig on a hand full of 512meg
    > cards... Just In Case!
    >
    > I can change a card out in 5 seconds so why risk the whole shoot on
    > one card? One last example. I just read a thread on a photo forum
    > where a couple lost their entire photo record of their once in a
    > lifetime European vacation because the HC card they recorded the WHOLE
    > vacation on went belly up.
    >
    > Just something to think of...... How important are your photos?
    >
    > Regards,

    I noticed a photographer doing the same thing at a friends wedding and
    then immediately after slipping them into a strange looking box. Being a
    geek at heart I had to ask what the box was and he explained it was a media
    drive and it automatically copied the images off the card and as soon as the
    wedding ended he would send the whole batch off to his office using a
    laptop. Thought that was pretty cool, but then at the wedding reception was
    surprised to see he had actually printed a couple of the pictures at poster
    size for the reception hall (maid of honor and best man got to pick the
    photos). Guest seemed to be impressed too. Hope someone can use that trick
    to make a buck/

    Last time I saw anything like that, the PSYOP guys were doing it to
    impress VIPs at the Special Forces demo the used to have down at Ft. Bragg,
    NC. Yep, turns out the guy was a vet and had been part of the show there.
    Kevin Childers, Mar 24, 2008