    little tapes to dub to try to edit in to a few dvd's. thanks
    Bill

    , Jan 2, 2007

  2. BillW50 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center 2002
    > pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make dvd's of
    > the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr mwr 20v6
    > (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says it cannot
    > detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive
    > properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my tv.The movies were
    > originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X Digital Zoom AutoShot
    > Camcorder and i put the little square video tape into a vcr converter
    > and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am I using the wrong media to
    > try to do this? What kind of blank dvd's do I need to dub my movies
    > onto to be able to use xp media center 2002 to make these cool? I
    > have about 20 of the little tapes to dub to try to edit in to a few
    > dvd's. thanks

    Did you know some DVD players/burners can only use DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W)?
    Notice one has a minus and the other uses a plus! And very few can use
    both?

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 3, 2007

  3. Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <459bdcd8$0$5744$>, BillW50
    <> writes
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center 2002
    >> pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make dvd's of
    >> the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr mwr 20v6
    >> (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says it cannot
    >> detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive
    >> properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my tv.The movies were
    >> originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X Digital Zoom AutoShot
    >> Camcorder and i put the little square video tape into a vcr converter
    >> and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am I using the wrong media to
    >> try to do this? What kind of blank dvd's do I need to dub my movies
    >> onto to be able to use xp media center 2002 to make these cool? I
    >> have about 20 of the little tapes to dub to try to edit in to a few
    >> dvd's. thanks

    >Did you know some DVD players/burners can only use DVD-R(W) or
    >DVD+R(W)? Notice one has a minus and the other uses a plus! And very
    >few can use both?

    Sorry Bill, but MOST can use both.

    You can identify what records/plays what at:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and

    Browse through the above and you'll no doubt revise your opinion :)

    --
    Tony Morgan

    Tony Morgan, Jan 3, 2007
  4. BillW50 Guest

    "Tony Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > In message <459bdcd8$0$5744$>, BillW50
    > <> writes
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center
    >>> 2002 pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make
    >>> dvd's of the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr
    >>> mwr 20v6 (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says
    >>> it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is
    >>> in the drive properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my
    >>> tv.The movies were originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X
    >>> Digital Zoom AutoShot Camcorder and i put the little square video
    >>> tape into a vcr converter and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am
    >>> I using the wrong media to try to do this? What kind of blank dvd's
    >>> do I need to dub my movies onto to be able to use xp media center
    >>> 2002 to make these cool? I have about 20 of the little tapes to dub
    >>> to try to edit in to a few dvd's. thanks

    >> Did you know some DVD players/burners can only use DVD-R(W) or
    >> DVD+R(W)? Notice one has a minus and the other uses a plus! And very
    >> few can use both?
    >>

    > Sorry Bill, but MOST can use both.
    >
    > You can identify what records/plays what at:
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and
    >
    > Browse through the above and you'll no doubt revise your opinion :)

    Why bother to revise my opinion?

    1) My HP Writer DVD300 only does plus

    2) My 2 Apex DVD players only does plus

    3) My 2 CyberHome DVR recorders only does plus

    4) My 2 Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops only does plus

    5) My nephew's Panasonic DVR only does minus

    6) My Gateway MX6124 laptop does both

    So within a stone throw from me, only one out of six can do both. There
    are millions of them out there that only does one or the other. Only in
    recent times have they made drives that can do either or. Odds are good,
    if it is 2 years or older, it probably only does one of them.

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 3, 2007
  5. Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <459bede3$0$5745$>, BillW50
    <> writes
    >Why bother to revise my opinion?

    It's pretty obvious when you say "And very few can use both" - when even
    a child could look for him/herself to see that most do.

    Clearly if you had a clue (or was man enough to admit you are in error)
    you would have had a scan through the thousands of machines at the links
    I gave. and you WOULD have revised your opinion.

    --
    Tony Morgan

    Tony Morgan, Jan 3, 2007
  6. BillW50 Guest

    "Tony Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > In message <459bede3$0$5745$>, BillW50
    > <> writes
    >> Why bother to revise my opinion?

    > It's pretty obvious when you say "And very few can use both" - when
    > even a child could look for him/herself to see that most do.
    >
    > Clearly if you had a clue (or was man enough to admit you are in
    > error) you would have had a scan through the thousands of machines at
    > the links I gave. and you WOULD have revised your opinion.

    No Tony! That isn't true at all. And I just looked at your links!

    > You can identify what records/plays what at:
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and
    > http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and

    And your list even shows that most can not use both. Here Tony, wake up!
    Here is the list of companies that support DVD-

    http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml

    And here is a list of companies that support DVD+

    http://www.dvdrw.com/industry-support.htm

    Also see who supports both:

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,115391-page,1/article.html?tk=wb032904x

    I called your bluff Tony! Now live with it!

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 3, 2007
  7. Richard Guest

    Today, PC DVD readers/burners are typically very flexible as are most modern
    DVD players for the TV. This was not true several years ago. My new Dell
    came with a DVD burner that takes all of the formats in use today. To bad
    none play SACD and DVD-A disks, but that's another subject.

    Richard.

    Richard, Jan 3, 2007
  8. BillW50 Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Today, PC DVD readers/burners are typically very flexible as are most
    > modern DVD players for the TV. This was not true several years ago.
    > My new Dell came with a DVD burner that takes all of the formats in
    > use today. To bad none play SACD and DVD-A disks, but that's another
    > subject.

    Yes this is quickly changing. Before 2002, there was no dual format DVD
    drives. Sony was the first. And by 2004, most DVD drives were still
    single format drives. And by 2006, some are still pushing single format
    DVD drives. But I don't believe they can continue being so stubborn.
    Hopefully this year (2007), selling single format DVD drives is out and
    only dual format DVD drives will be in. But don't bet on it. :(

    --
    Bill

    BillW50, Jan 3, 2007
  9. Re: media center says it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd romdrive when the dvd is in the drive properly?

    The answer to your question is potentially really complex. But the
    first question I'd ask you is, if you take a commercial DVD (a movie DVD
    that you bought in a store), does it play ok in the A105? If so, then
    the A105 is probably working ok.

    As to why what you are doing doesn't work, again, the answer is
    surprisingly complex. But when you make a DVD from analog video, you
    are pretty much putting the content into a format that isn't intended
    for further editing, and that will have to be "extracted" if you want to
    work with it. A further complication is that the format created on many
    DVD burners (by which I mean set-top DVD burners) is VERY different from
    a video DVD of the type that you buy. Some DVD burners offer you a
    choice of formats, some don't, and some make the choice automatically
    depending on what type of media you use (and typically the format is
    totally different for DVDs burned on "+" media vs. those burned on "-"
    media). In fact, you might find that changing from + to - media when
    creating the DVD in the set-top DVD burner might resolve your issue.
    MAYBE, but NOT because the A105 can only read + or - media, but rather
    because the set-top burner is creating two completely different disc
    formats depending on the media type (again, MAYBE .... and, again, this
    subject, dealt with in depth, is staggeringly complex).

    The best way to create DVDs from video tapes is to capture the tapes as
    uncompressed AVI files on a PC (not a laptop, for a number of reasons),
    edit them with one of the major video editing programs (such as Pinnacle
    Studio), and then burn a DVD on the desktop. However, this requires
    time, expertise and a lot of processor performance and, especially, disk
    space (uncompressed AVI is more than 10GB per hour). Set-top DVD
    burners are a compromise that works for some people in some situations
    with some other components. But not for everyone in all cases. And if
    you want to do any subsequent editing, you are probably better off
    keeping everything in an uncompressed AVI format rather than as
    compressed MPEG2 files (as they would be on any form of video DVD). But
    a laptop usually doesn't have the disk space or processor performance to
    deal with this type of video editing.

    Barry Watzman, Jan 7, 2007