Memory: Crucial specs

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mm, Dec 16, 2010.

  1. mm

    mm Guest

    BTW, I forgot to offer thanks for any help with these questions and
    those in the prior two threads. I know it's not "required", but
    still.

    Memory: Crucial specs

    Things are fine now, except for whatever my first thread tonight
    brings up, but for a while I was worried I had wasted money buying the
    wrong RAM.

    During my troubles in the previous two threads, I suddenly had the
    fear that I had not followed Paul's advice diligently enough. I
    coudln't remember the details of what I'd done.

    That is, I intended to but had I really made sure to buy low-density?

    I found the ad for the memory I bought and it clearly said "low
    density", but he could be wrong. Before I bought, I had looked up the
    RAM on the Crucial webpage, and I didn't notice at the time that
    strangely, it doesn't say what the density is.
    1) Isn't that pretty sloppy of them? Incredibly bad?
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT12864Z335

    Then I googled the part number and found other people asking the same
    question about the same part.

    ***** 2) Is it true what someone said that if there are 16 chips on
    the stick, it is low density? (Is that because with high density, all
    the RAM could be squeezed into 8 chips?)

    A question with a non-answer by Crucial:
    http://www.forums.crucial.com/t5/St...864Z335-M16TFY-high-or-low-density/td-p/18386

    3)
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Technology-CT12864Z335-184-Pin-PC2700/dp/B0002IP2TY
    "33 of 35 people found the following review helpful:
    1.0 out of 5 stars Be Warned, August 18, 2008
    By Netadmin - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Crucial Technology CT12864Z335 1GB 184-Pin PC2700
    333Mhz DIMM DDR RAM Memory (Electronics)
    1 star our of 5. Nothing in the description indicates this is high
    density memory and will not work in 90% of the older computers out
    there that need low density memory.

    I used the configurator at Crucial and it correctly told me the type
    of memory I needed but it cost twice as much as the memory here.
    Thinking that Crucial was trying to rip me off I bought the memory
    listed on this page only to find it did not work. Turns out Crucial
    was trying to steer me straight not rip me off. Don't make the same
    mistake I did and think just because it says 1GB 184-Pin PC2700 333Mhz
    DIMM DDR RAM that is all you need to know to match it correctly to
    your PC. "

    OTOH, two other people loved it.

    I kept looking and found one page with a bunch of stores that sell
    CT12864Z335, and so far none say whether it is low density or not,
    maybe because they are relying on the Crucial page for info?
    http://www.shopwiki.com/_1GB 333MHZ DDR PC-2700 - CT12864Z335

    OTOH, here's a webpage that maybe sells only low-density memory!
    (At least I suppose they mark it if it's not.)
    http://low-density.memorycheap.us/1...84_Pin_PC2700_333Mhz_DIMM_DDR_RAM_Memory.html
    And it does list it. But they might be wrong too. :) Why doesn't
    Crucial say?

    mm, Dec 16, 2010

  2. mm

    Paul Guest

    mm wrote:
> [...]
    > listed on this page only to find it did not work. Turns out Crucial
    > was trying to steer me straight not rip me off. Don't make the same
    > mistake I did and think just because it says 1GB 184-Pin PC2700 333Mhz
    > DIMM DDR RAM that is all you need to know to match it correctly to
    > your PC. "
    >
    > OTOH, two other people loved it.
    >
    > I kept looking and found one page with a bunch of stores that sell
    > CT12864Z335, and so far none say whether it is low density or not,
    > maybe because they are relying on the Crucial page for info?
    > http://www.shopwiki.com/_1GB 333MHZ DDR PC-2700 - CT12864Z335
    >
    > OTOH, here's a webpage that maybe sells only low-density memory!
    > (At least I suppose they mark it if it's not.)
    > http://low-density.memorycheap.us/1...84_Pin_PC2700_333Mhz_DIMM_DDR_RAM_Memory.html
    > And it does list it. But they might be wrong too. :) Why doesn't

    An alternate way of determining density, is to use the markings
    on the module.

    http://img.systemaxdev.com/productmedia/htmlimages/cten/CRC/CRC-1/134916-1.jpg

    CT12864Z335.16TFY <--- The Crucial sticker

    It's possible the 16TFY would be a giveaway. The 16 part is
    used to detect double sided memory (8 chipset per side). I don't
    have a table that says what TFY stands for. (It might even be
    the chip revision used.)

    To zero in on the Micron sticker, I used the Micron UDIMM table,
    matching part numbers against what I could read on the label.
    My conclusion is, it's likely this one.

    Micron MT16VDDT12864AY-335F2 <--- The Micron (parent company) sticker
    PC2700U-25331-Z

    http://www.micron.com/partscatalog.html?categoryPath=products/parametric/dram_modules/udimm

    http://cache.micron.com/Protected/e...0257b238893a2bc2/1/97/DD16C64_128_256x64A.pdf

    On page 2 of the DD16C64_128_256x64A.pdf document, middle column
    corresponds to the 1GB UDIMM.

    "Parameter 1GB

    Device configuration 512Mb (64 Meg x 8)"

    The alternatives are 64Mx8 (low density) and 128Mx4 (high density). So the
    Micron datasheet says it's low density.

    You can also contact Crucial pre-sales, and the staff there can help
    you with issues like this.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 16, 2010

  3. mm

    mm Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 03:19:23 -0500, Paul <> wrote:

    >mm wrote:
    >> BTW, I forgot to offer thanks for any help with these questions and
    >> those in the prior two threads. I know it's not "required", but
    >> still.
    >> I kept looking and found one page with a bunch of stores that sell
    >> CT12864Z335, and so far none say whether it is low density or not,
    >> maybe because they are relying on the Crucial page for info?
    >> http://www.shopwiki.com/_1GB 333MHZ DDR PC-2700 - CT12864Z335
    >>
    >> OTOH, here's a webpage that maybe sells only low-density memory!
    >> (At least I suppose they mark it if it's not.)
    >> http://low-density.memorycheap.us/1...84_Pin_PC2700_333Mhz_DIMM_DDR_RAM_Memory.html
    >> And it does list it. But they might be wrong too. :) Why doesn't
    >> Crucial say?

    >An alternate way of determining density, is to use the markings
    >on the module.
    >
    >http://img.systemaxdev.com/productmedia/htmlimages/cten/CRC/CRC-1/134916-1.jpg
    >
    > CT12864Z335.16TFY <--- The Crucial sticker
    >
    > It's possible the 16TFY would be a giveaway. The 16 part is
    > used to detect double sided memory (8 chipset per side).

    So are you saying that if there are 16 chips, it's low density?

    OT:
    I like this line from wikip: "In the past, registered memory was
    called buffered memory and unregistered memory was called unbuffered
    memory. Registered memory got renamed in common use, but unbuffered
    memory did not."

    > I don't
    > have a table that says what TFY stands for. (It might even be
    > the chip revision used.)
    >
    > To zero in on the Micron sticker, I used the Micron UDIMM table,
    > matching part numbers against what I could read on the label.
    > My conclusion is, it's likely this one.
    >
    > Micron MT16VDDT12864AY-335F2 <--- The Micron (parent company) sticker
    > PC2700U-25331-Z
    >
    > http://www.micron.com/partscatalog.html?categoryPath=products/parametric/dram_modules/udimm
    >
    > http://cache.micron.com/Protected/e...0257b238893a2bc2/1/97/DD16C64_128_256x64A.pdf

    This one expired by the time I looked at it, but I found
    http://www.micron.com/products/Prod...oducts/dram_modules/udimm/MT16VDDT12864AY-335
    for the same DDR, MT16VDDT12864AY-335F2, and it too, for
    specifications, says:
    Density: 1GB
    Technology: DDR SDRAM
    RoHS: Yes
    Part Status: EOL Pending
    Comp. Count: 16
    Depth: 128Mb
    Width: x64
    Pin Count: 184-pin
    Op. Temp.: 0C to +70C
    Data Rate: 333 MT/s
    Speed: PC2700
    CL: CL = 2.5
    Voltage: 2.5V
    Comp. Config: 64 Meg x 8
    ECC: Non ECC
    Module Ranks: Dual Rank

    They really make it hard.

    > On page 2 of the DD16C64_128_256x64A.pdf document, middle column
    > corresponds to the 1GB UDIMM.
    >
    > "Parameter 1GB
    >
    > Device configuration 512Mb (64 Meg x 8)"
    >
    >The alternatives are 64Mx8 (low density) and 128Mx4 (high density). So the
    >Micron datasheet says it's low density.

    Wow. It shouldn't be this much effort, should it?

    >You can also contact Crucial pre-sales, and the staff there can help
    >you with issues like this.

    Well, there was a question about this very item, answered by a Crucial
    employee, but he didn't actually answer the question! If he added
    that last line that you included, it would have been clear and I
    wouldn't have posted.

    http://www.forums.crucial.com/t5/St...864Z335-M16TFY-high-or-low-density/td-p/18386
    09-04-2010 06:38 PM
    Can someone advise me if the above mentioned Crucial part no 1GB
    PC2700 DIMM is low density or high density ? TIA. (476 Views)

    Reply 09-08-2010 10:15 AM
    Hello,
    All Crucial 1GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR modules are going to be 16-chip
    modules. These parts are made up from 512Mb components.
    Dude, Crucial Employee, US Registered: 03-08-2010

    More importantly, either the listing for each stick should include
    this info, or at least somewhere prominent on the webpage it should
    say that "All Crucial 1GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR modules are going to
    be 16-chip modules, low-density." I should write them and tell them
    this. :)

    mm, Dec 19, 2010
  4. mm

    Paul Guest

    mm wrote:
> [...]

    > that last line that you included, it would have been clear and I
    > wouldn't have posted.
    >
    > http://www.forums.crucial.com/t5/St...864Z335-M16TFY-high-or-low-density/td-p/18386
    > 09-04-2010 06:38 PM
    > Can someone advise me if the above mentioned Crucial part no 1GB
    > PC2700 DIMM is low density or high density ? TIA. (476 Views)
    >
    > Reply 09-08-2010 10:15 AM
    > Hello,
    > All Crucial 1GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR modules are going to be 16-chip
    > modules. These parts are made up from 512Mb components.
    > Dude, Crucial Employee, US Registered: 03-08-2010
    >
    > More importantly, either the listing for each stick should include
    > this info, or at least somewhere prominent on the webpage it should
    > say that "All Crucial 1GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR modules are going to
    > be 16-chip modules, low-density." I should write them and tell them

    First off, high density isn't a very precise term, and it's a substitute
    for saying "hey, you bought bad RAM". There is more than one situation
    termed high density.

    In this case, the high density and low density modules both use sixteen
    chips. The low density module uses (16) 64Mx8, and the high density uses
    (16) 128Mx4. A "rank" of memory, is enough memory chips to make a 64 bit
    wide array. In the case of the high density UDIMM, all sixteen chips
    are used to make one rank. So when that high density module is accessed,
    all sixteen chips respond at the same time.

    In the low density module case, there are two (8) 64Mx8 ranks. When
    the low density UDIMM is accessed, either eight chips on one side
    of the module, or eight chips on the other side of the module, respond.
    So one half of the module "sleeps", for want of a better word. It means
    there are two sets of control signals. One set of signals per side, with
    eight loads on each signal.

    So this information, is what I seek. The chip dimensions are
    what is important. If you look at some Intel desktop chipset datasheets,
    the preferred chip widths are x8 and x16, while x4 is not mentioned.
    Most of the time, end users are using the x8 chips, to get the
    highest possible module density. If you go with x4, that's not
    even on Intel's radar.

    "Parameter 1GB

    Device configuration 512Mb (64 Meg x 8)"

    That "x8" tells me I got the good stuff.

    *******

    Another one of the cases for RAM, would be something like
    (16) 32Mx8 versus (8) 64Mx8. In that case, the issue is some
    motherboards only detecting half of the memory array. Some
    chipsets would lack enough address bits to access the entire
    64M range. And the result, is only half the memory is detected.
    In that case, a sticker with "-8" or "-16", would be
    enough info to tell the difference. Both modules use 8 chip
    ranks. The preferred module in that case, is the 16 chip one,
    because the chips "aren't as deep" and only span 32M.

    So you can see in the notation "(16) 32Mx8", there are three
    numbers they can play with. One kind of high density, affects
    different numbers, than the other kind of high density case.
    And one can be detected by chip count, while the other, you
    may want to get an actual chip part number, to verify the
    device width.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 19, 2010