Memory listing from gcc

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Paul Burke, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Paul Burke

    Paul Burke Guest

    I've read the F manuals and I'm still no wiser... anyone know how I can
    get a memory usage listing from gcc (I'm using msp430-gcc)? I've tried
    -fmem-report, doesn't not do nowt.

    Paul Burke

    1. Advertising

  2. Paul Burke <> writes:

    > I've read the F manuals and I'm still no wiser... anyone know how I
    > can get a memory usage listing from gcc (I'm using msp430-gcc)? I've
    > tried -fmem-report, doesn't not do nowt.

    How about the "size" command? Or you can get detailed listings with
    objdump. Both of these operate on the compiled object files.

    --

    John Devereux

    1. Advertising

  3. John Devereux wrote:
    > Paul Burke <> writes:
    >
    >> I've read the F manuals and I'm still no wiser... anyone know how I
    >> can get a memory usage listing from gcc (I'm using msp430-gcc)? I've
    >> tried -fmem-report, doesn't not do nowt.

    > How about the "size" command? Or you can get detailed listings with
    > objdump. Both of these operate on the compiled object files.

    You can get a map from the Linker: is that what you mean by a "usage
    listing"?

  4. Paul Burke <> wrote:
    > I've read the F manuals and I'm still no wiser... anyone know how I can
    > get a memory usage listing from gcc (I'm using msp430-gcc)?

    Generally you can't --- because it's not the job of gcc to decide
    about memory usage. That's done by the linker. Get a map file,
    and/or run 'size' or 'objdump' on the resulting files.

    --
    Hans-Bernhard Broeker (-aachen.de)

  5. Tauno Voipio

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    Paul Burke wrote:
    > I've read the F manuals and I'm still no wiser... anyone know how I can
    > get a memory usage listing from gcc (I'm using msp430-gcc)? I've tried
    > -fmem-report, doesn't not do nowt.
    >
    > Paul Burke

    If you're looking for assembly listings try adding

    -Wa,-ahlms=myfile.lst

    to the gcc compilation command line.

    If you're looking for the big picture after linking,
    get a linker map by adding

    -Wl,-Map=myfile.map,--cref

    to the gcc command line performing the final link.

    If the module cross-reference produces too much output,
    use the simpler form

    -Wl,-Map=myfile.map

    Please do not put any extra spaces in the switches or
    they will be misunderstood by the toolchain.

    HTH

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  6. CBFalconer

    CBFalconer Guest

    Tauno Voipio wrote:
    > Paul Burke wrote:
    >
    >> I've read the F manuals and I'm still no wiser... anyone know
    >> how I can get a memory usage listing from gcc (I'm using
    >> msp430-gcc)? I've tried -fmem-report, doesn't not do nowt.

    > If you're looking for assembly listings try adding
    >
    > -Wa,-ahlms=myfile.lst
    >
    > to the gcc compilation command line.

    I use: gcc -gstabs+ -Wa,-ahldn -c | less

    possibly with -Os, -O1, -O2 or -O3. The output can be redirected
    to a file if you want to keep it around.

    > If you're looking for the big picture after linking,
    > get a linker map by adding
    >
    > -Wl,-Map=myfile.map,--cref
    >
    > to the gcc command line performing the final link.
    >
    > If the module cross-reference produces too much output,
    > use the simpler form
    >
    > -Wl,-Map=myfile.map
    >
    > Please do not put any extra spaces in the switches or
    > they will be misunderstood by the toolchain.

  7. Paul Burke

    Paul Burke Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > I use: gcc -gstabs+ -Wa,-ahldn -c | less

    Thanks everyone. There seem to be more switches vavailable that there
    are chinese characters.

    Paul Burke

  8. Tauno Voipio

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    Paul Burke wrote:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >

    >> I use: gcc -gstabs+ -Wa,-ahldn -c | less

    > Thanks everyone. There seem to be more switches vavailable that there
    > are chinese characters.

    Get the GNU assembler and linker documentation for these switches:

    The gcc -Wa option passes the rest of the option
    to the assembler (as or gas).

    The same applies to the -Wl option, but the rest
    is passed to the linker (ld).

    HTH

    --

    Tauno Voipio