Memory timing

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Thomas Andersson, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    Can someone please point me to some easy to understand info on memory
    timing, how it affects thinsg and how important it is?
    For example now I'm looking at two Kingston HyperX mem-sticks, they are
    timed:

    PC3200 CAS Latency 2 (2-2-2-6-1T) ($125)
    PC3200 CAS Latency 2 (2-3-2-6-1T) ($100)

    There's a $25 difference between these two sticks, will that single digit
    difference in memory timing make any detectable difference whatsoever at
    stock speed or slightly above?
    Alsom from the faster of these two there's just a $2 difference to this one:

    PC3500 CAS Latency 2 (2-3-3-7-1T) ($127)

    For starters I'm gonna go with 400MHz FSB for the Barton XP2500+ I'm
    getting, but as I'm getting a water cooling rig I might be tempted to take
    it further, but how far would I need to go to make up for the worse timing
    of the higher speed ram?
    I realy want to try and understand these issues as they are of importance in
    overclocking so any help would be apreciated!

    Best Wishes
    Thomas

    Thomas Andersson, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Thomas Andersson

    bretb Guest

    http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ddr400/

    bretb, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Thomas Andersson

    Frank Weston Guest

    There's a real nice primer on memory on the Corsair website. It will answer
    most of your questions in great detail.

    Frank Weston, Jun 28, 2003