memtest86+ stopped

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mike -- Email Ignored, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. memtest86+ stopped in the middle of pass 1 and
    and said everything is OK. Should I believe this?
    Shouldn't it keep going? BTW, I am running with
    the memtest86+ CD removed. OK?

    Thanks,
    Mike.

    1. Advertising

  2. Joe Pfeiffer

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    Mike -- Email Ignored <> writes:

    > memtest86+ stopped in the middle of pass 1 and
    > and said everything is OK. Should I believe this?
    > Shouldn't it keep going? BTW, I am running with
    > the memtest86+ CD removed. OK?

    It doesn't need to CD to work. If it stopped partway through the
    first pass, something is seriously wrong (it should just keep cranking
    until you get tired of it and turn it off).

    1. Advertising

  3. On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:38:32 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

    > Mike -- Email Ignored <> writes:
    >
    >> memtest86+ stopped in the middle of pass 1 and and said everything is
    >> OK. Should I believe this? Shouldn't it keep going? BTW, I am running
    >> with the memtest86+ CD removed. OK?

    > It doesn't need to CD to work. If it stopped partway through the first
    > pass, something is seriously wrong (it should just keep cranking until
    > you get tired of it and turn it off).

    Pass 1 is the second pass, but I still think its bad.
    Mike.

  4. Arno Wagner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Mike -- Email Ignored <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:38:32 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

    >> Mike -- Email Ignored <> writes:
    >>
    >>> memtest86+ stopped in the middle of pass 1 and and said everything is
    >>> OK. Should I believe this? Shouldn't it keep going? BTW, I am running
    >>> with the memtest86+ CD removed. OK?

    >> It doesn't need to CD to work. If it stopped partway through the first
    >> pass, something is seriously wrong (it should just keep cranking until
    >> you get tired of it and turn it off).

    > Pass 1 is the second pass, but I still think its bad.
    > Mike.

    I agree. And I think that you should run at least 5 passes, better more.
    I once had a bad bit in one Infineon module that took about 20 passes
    to be discoverd.

    Arno

  5. Arno Wagner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Joe Pfeiffer <> wrote:
    > Arno Wagner <> writes:

    >> Previously Mike -- Email Ignored <> wrote:

    >>> Pass 1 is the second pass, but I still think its bad.
    >>> Mike.

    >> I agree. And I think that you should run at least 5 passes, better more.
    >> I once had a bad bit in one Infineon module that took about 20 passes
    >> to be discoverd.

    > The statement that it just stopped rather accumulating errors makes me
    > wonder if the problem might be CPU rather than memory, though...

    Possible. It does use a tiny amount of memory for itself, if I
    remember correctly, but that is very unlikely for that to be hit.

    Should not be caches though, they are tested also.

    Would be interesting to know what exactly the error was.
    Aslo a second run should have different results. If not,
    a CPU problem seems very likely.

    Arno

  6. On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:53:52 +0000, Mike -- Email Ignored wrote:

    > memtest86+ stopped in the middle of pass 1 and and said everything is
    > OK. Should I believe this? Shouldn't it keep going? BTW, I am running
    > with the memtest86+ CD removed. OK?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mike.

    I just ran memtest86+ for more than 20 passes on
    the same box with no problem. I am beginning to
    wonder if I misinterpreted something I saw.

    Mike.

  7. Joe Pfeiffer

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    Arno Wagner <> writes:

    > Previously Joe Pfeiffer <> wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner <> writes:

    >>> I agree. And I think that you should run at least 5 passes, better more.
    >>> I once had a bad bit in one Infineon module that took about 20 passes
    >>> to be discoverd.

    >> The statement that it just stopped rather accumulating errors makes me
    >> wonder if the problem might be CPU rather than memory, though...

    > Possible. It does use a tiny amount of memory for itself, if I
    > remember correctly, but that is very unlikely for that to be hit.
    >
    > Should not be caches though, they are tested also.
    >
    > Would be interesting to know what exactly the error was.
    > Aslo a second run should have different results. If not,
    > a CPU problem seems very likely.

    Well, the OP said there was no error. It just stopped.