Memtest86 test errors with XMS Twinx2048-3200c2 on DFI Lanparty SLI DR Expert

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Error404, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Error404

    Error404 Guest

    visit the DFI forums here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php
    and have a look at the stock settings for your ram,its a very helpful
    place.
    Regards Dave

    Error404, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Error404

    philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2.
    > With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
    > there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
    > errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
    > as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
    > without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
    > speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though. I've
    > also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
    > the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the errors
    > something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
    > couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't see
    > DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.

    Yes...I'd be concerned...
    though I've seen memtest pass RAM that ended up being bad...
    I've never seen it the otherway...but you may want to try another utility.

    Try the utility you can get here
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    even though it's Microsoft...I found the memory test utility to be to my
    liking

  4. Error404

    Firefox Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS
    >> Twinx2048-3200c2.
    >> With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
    >> there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
    >> errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
    >> as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
    >> without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
    >> speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though.
    >> I've
    >> also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
    >> the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the
    >> errors
    >> something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
    >> couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't
    >> see
    >> DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.
    >>

    > Yes...I'd be concerned...
    > though I've seen memtest pass RAM that ended up being bad...
    > I've never seen it the otherway...but you may want to try another utility.
    >
    > Try the utility you can get here

    Yes I've ran both when I had problems with a duff strip of Kingston and OCZ
    not beleiving the OCZ could be faulty. Both indicated faults and this was
    confirmed when both manufacturers returned new memory which tested good with
    both utilities.

    Sounds like faulty memory.

    Firefox, Jan 29, 2006
  5. Error404

    Guest

    Thanks! I added that one to my links list. I got an RMA from newegg this
    morning. One of the RAM sticks is bad. I can test them separately in the
    same slot and one will pass memtest86. Been running Prime95 for the last 5
    hours at 220 buss without errors. Hope the next pair I get work as good as
    this single stick.

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:04:17 GMT, Error404 <> wrote:

    >visit the DFI forums here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php
    >and have a look at the stock settings for your ram,its a very helpful
    >place.
    >Regards Dave
    > Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:13:10 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2.
    >>With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
    >>there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
    >>errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
    >>as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
    >>without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
    >>speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though. I've
    >>also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
    >>the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the errors
    >>something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
    >>couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't see
    >>DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.
    >>
    >>System
    >>Athlon 64x2 3800
    >>DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert
    >>ATI AIW Redeon X800XL for now ;)
    >>Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2 (2GB)
    >>3x WD Raptor 76G, RAID 0
    >>Antec 550W TPII
    >>

    >>TIA
    , Jan 30, 2006
  6. Error404

    Adam Webb Guest

    that memory is designed for 200mhz, not 230....

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    Adam Webb, Jan 30, 2006
  7. Error404

    Guest

    Um, yes I know. The test at 230MHz was to illustrate that the number of
    errors didn't increase at that speed. Just like it's written in the OP.

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:51:09 -0000, "Adam Webb"

    >that memory is designed for 200mhz, not 230....
    , Jan 31, 2006