    in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

    Regards,
    s.subbarayan

    ssubbarayan, Jan 21, 2009

  2. ssubbarayan

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:44:33 -0800 (PST), ssubbarayan
    <> wrote:

    >I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
    >call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
    >your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
    >them if given a choice between choosing the two?

    Homework question?

    >I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
    >in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

    Generally true. But that doesn't answer your earlier question.

    Move your mind outside of the idea of a single CPU. See if that helps
    you imagine some advantages and disadvantages for each. Also, take a
    look at the Windows API implementation for single-cpus (which includes
    both methods, but used in a designed way) and see if you can follow
    their reasoning for the way things are done there. (You will need to
    understand the messaging and callback arrangements there.)

    Jon

    Jon Kirwan, Jan 21, 2009

  3. "ssubbarayan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
    > call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
    > your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
    > them if given a choice between choosing the two?
    > I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
    > in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

    I am trying to understand the difference between a car and a transportation.
    The transportation is regulated by law, however the car needs gasoline. Can
    you tell me the purpose of life?

    VLV

    Vladimir Vassilevsky, Jan 22, 2009
  4. ssubbarayan

    ssubbarayan Guest

    On Jan 21, 1:27 pm, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:44:33 -0800 (PST), ssubbarayan
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
    > >call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
    > >your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
    > >them if given a choice between choosing the two?

    > Homework question?
    >
    > >I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
    > >in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

    > Generally true.  But that doesn't answer your earlier question.
    >
    > Move your mind outside of the idea of a single CPU.  See if that helps
    > you imagine some advantages and disadvantages for each.  Also, take a
    > look at the Windows API implementation for single-cpus (which includes
    > both methods, but used in a designed way) and see if you can follow
    > their reasoning for the way things are done there.  (You will need to
    > understand the messaging and callback arrangements there.)
    >
    > Jon

    Hi,
    I understand the question looks amature.The real idea of posting this
    question is not to waste someone's precious time and bandwidth.I am
    trying to understand the architectural differences from design perse
    from most veterans over there,to get some good insights in a
    practical angle.It kills the spirit of usenet,when such messages are
    posted.
    It would help if experts can share some of your thoughts and
    encourage.

    Regards,
    s.subbarayan

    ssubbarayan, Jan 22, 2009
  5. ssubbarayan

    Ed Prochak Guest

    On Jan 22, 7:36 am, ssubbarayan <> wrote:
    > On Jan 21, 1:27 pm, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:44:33 -0800 (PST), ssubbarayan

    > > <> wrote:
    > > >I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
    > > >call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
    > > >your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
    > > >them if given a choice between choosing the two?

    > > Homework question?

    > > >I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
    > > >in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

    > > Generally true.  But that doesn't answer your earlier question.

    > > Move your mind outside of the idea of a single CPU.  See if that helps
    > > you imagine some advantages and disadvantages for each.  Also, take a
    > > look at the Windows API implementation for single-cpus (which includes
    > > both methods, but used in a designed way) and see if you can follow
    > > their reasoning for the way things are done there.  (You will need to
    > > understand the messaging and callback arrangements there.)

    > > Jon

    > Hi,
    > I understand the question looks amature.The real idea of posting this
    > question is not to waste someone's precious time and bandwidth.I am
    > trying to understand the architectural differences from design perse
    > from most veterans over there,to get some  good insights in a
    > practical angle.It kills the spirit of usenet,when such messages are
    > posted.
    > It would help if experts can share some of your thoughts and
    > encourage.
    >
    > Regards,
    > s.subbarayan

    Since you seem to be interested in this question in the abstract, then
    comp.programming may be a better place for that kind of discussion.
    Several regulars here also follow that group. And you did not limit
    your topic to embedded systems, so it does seem out of place here.

    The spirit of usenet grows from specific topic discussions in the
    correct groups. Your topic just may find a better reception in a
    slightly more appropriate group.
    HTH,
    Ed

    Ed Prochak, Jan 22, 2009