  1. Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
    seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
    (whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

    Thomas Andersson, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Thomas Andersson wrote:
    > Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
    > seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
    > (whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

    My Sapphire 5870 has DVI, HDMI and Display Port and it came with an
    adapter for HDMI to component.

    Boris Badenov, Feb 23, 2010

  3. Am 23.02.2010 18:32, * Thomas Andersson:
    > Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
    > seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
    > (whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

    Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
    still come with analoge TV out. More cards do come with analoge
    component out (HDTV) but in Europe this is not of much relevance because
    TVs that have analogue component input also have VGA or DVI/HDMI inputs.

    Unless you have a really ancient TV I wouldn't even bother with Y/C any
    more (and if you have then you probably need an older gfx card). Not
    only because the image usually looks like crap.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 24, 2010
  4. Thomas Andersson

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Benjamin Gawert <> wrote:
    >Am 23.02.2010 18:32, * Thomas Andersson:
    >> Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
    >> seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
    >> (whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

    >Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
    >still come with analoge TV out. More cards do come with analoge
    >component out (HDTV) but in Europe this is not of much relevance because
    >TVs that have analogue component input also have VGA or DVI/HDMI inputs.
    >
    >Unless you have a really ancient TV I wouldn't even bother with Y/C any
    >more (and if you have then you probably need an older gfx card). Not
    >only because the image usually looks like crap.
    >
    >Benjamin

    So how do you suggest the OP or anyone else for that matter be able to record
    video out from their pc?

    GMAN, Feb 24, 2010
  5. Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
    > still come with analoge TV out.

    Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
    wants SVGA though, simple fix is attach component to SVGA adapter to the
    HDMI to component adapter. I know you can get those because I have one
    collecting dust in my adapter box.

    Boris Badenov, Feb 24, 2010
  6. Re: "It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI to analog (VGA -
    Component) converters**"

    I don't think that's absolutely true. It depends on the format and
    resolution of the output of the conversion. If the output is "SD"
    (standard definition) then it is legal. If it's "HD" it's not legal.
    I'm not sure where or if these terms are defined precisely. But analog
    VGA 640x480 is definitely not considered HD.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 25, 2010
  7. We were talking about CONVERTING the digital signal into {something};
    both analog and digital can be either HD or SD.

    [e.g. component video can be analog HD, while DVI at 800x600 (or lower)
    is digital but SD]

    My point was, it's not illegal to make a device that takes an HDMI HD
    signal (with HDCP) and converts it into, for example, NTSC composite
    analog (e.g. yellow RCA plug). That seems to be the capability (not
    currently illegal) that you are discussing which providers are asking to
    be capable of being turned off. That might work on a cable box
    (although maybe not current and past production models) but it will
    hardly work for DVD content, which is currently SD, but still of very
    good quality.

    Barry Watzman, Feb 25, 2010
  8. Am 24.02.2010 20:43, * Boris Badenov:

    > Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
    > wants SVGA though

    No, he wants *SVHS* not SVGA.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 25, 2010
  9. Am 24.02.2010 17:49, * GMAN:

    > So how do you suggest the OP or anyone else for that matter be able to record
    > video out from their pc?

    There are programs that allow recording of screen content, for example
    FRAPS.

    Besides that, why should anyone want to record the video output from
    their PC?

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 25, 2010
  10. Am 25.02.2010 00:50, * Barry Watzman:

    > Re: "It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI to analog (VGA -
    > Component) converters**"
    >
    > I don't think that's absolutely true. It depends on the format and
    > resolution of the output of the conversion. If the output is "SD"
    > (standard definition) then it is legal. If it's "HD" it's not legal. I'm
    > not sure where or if these terms are defined precisely. But analog VGA
    > 640x480 is definitely not considered HD.

    The legality has absolutely nothing to do with the resolution of the
    signal. HDMI is protected by a proprietary copy protection (HDCP) which
    to circumvent is illegal in a lot of countries.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 25, 2010
  11. Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > Am 23.02.2010 18:32, * Thomas Andersson:
    >> Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at
    >> 5770 which seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to
    >> have display port (whatever that does) and none have the classic
    >> svhs/hdtv out connector.

    > Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
    > still come with analoge TV out. More cards do come with analoge
    > component out (HDTV) but in Europe this is not of much relevance
    > because TVs that have analogue component input also have VGA or
    > DVI/HDMI inputs.
    > Unless you have a really ancient TV I wouldn't even bother with Y/C
    > any more (and if you have then you probably need an older gfx card).
    > Not only because the image usually looks like crap.

    MY TV isn't ancient, but not exactly new either, it has 2 scart connections
    of which one accepts SVHS signal. A new one is unfortunately out of the
    question due to economics.

    Thomas Andersson, Feb 25, 2010
  12. Barry Watzman wrote:
    > We were talking about CONVERTING the digital signal into {something};
    > both analog and digital can be either HD or SD.
    >
    > [e.g. component video can be analog HD, while DVI at 800x600 (or
    > lower) is digital but SD]
    >
    > My point was, it's not illegal to make a device that takes an HDMI HD
    > signal (with HDCP) and converts it into, for example, NTSC composite
    > analog (e.g. yellow RCA plug). That seems to be the capability (not
    > currently illegal) that you are discussing which providers are asking
    > to be capable of being turned off. That might work on a cable box
    > (although maybe not current and past production models) but it will
    > hardly work for DVD content, which is currently SD, but still of very
    > good quality.

    That's exactly what I need when I say svhs.. the yellow RCA plug with analog
    800*600 composite output (PAL/B).
    The reason of course to watch movies etc on my telly from my computer...

    Thomas Andersson, Feb 25, 2010
  13. Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > Am 24.02.2010 20:43, * Boris Badenov:
    >
    >> Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
    >> wants SVGA though

    > No, he wants *SVHS* not SVGA.

    That ;)
    Although slightly hijacked an interesting thread :)

    Thomas Andersson, Feb 25, 2010
  14. William wrote:

    > Boris: Open that box up again and take a look at that adapter. It most
    > likely is a DVI to VGA adapter.

    OK, just pulled it out of my adapter collection and it is VGA to
    component, sorry for the confusion. Still, I could connect DVI to VGA
    adapter to video card, this VGA to comnponent adapter to that and then
    finally component to SVGA adapter.

    Boris Badenov, Feb 25, 2010
  15. Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > No, he wants *SVHS* not SVGA.
    >
    > Benjamin

    Typo, sorry. I know what he wants.

    Boris Badenov, Feb 25, 2010
  16. Am 25.02.2010 14:24, * Thomas Andersson:

    > MY TV isn't ancient, but not exactly new either, it has 2 scart connections
    > of which one accepts SVHS signal. A new one is unfortunately out of the
    > question due to economics.

    The problem is that technology has moved on, simple as that. I don't
    know how old your TV is but VGA and DVI/HDMI inputs are standard on TVs
    for over half a decade now. So as hard as it sounds, it basically comes
    down to these choices:

    * use an old gfx card with analoge TV out
    * buy one of the few remaining low end cards with analogue TV out
    * buy one of the converters which convert VGA to CVBS or Y/C (beware,
    most of them produce a really crap picture!)
    * get a new TV

    I wouldn't recommend investing any money in analoge TV out, not only
    because it is obsolete but also because the image quality is usually
    just bad. Better save the money until you can replace your TV.

    Ben

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 25, 2010
  17. Thomas Andersson

    GMAN Guest

    In article <hm67d5$6ab$-september.org>, Boris Badenov <> wrote:
    >William wrote:
    >

    >> Boris: Open that box up again and take a look at that adapter. It most
    >> likely is a DVI to VGA adapter.

    >OK, just pulled it out of my adapter collection and it is VGA to
    >component, sorry for the confusion. Still, I could connect DVI to VGA
    >adapter to video card, this VGA to comnponent adapter to that and then
    >finally component to SVGA adapter.

    Quit calling it component to SVGA.

    You mean Component to S-Video or Y/C

    GMAN, Feb 25, 2010
  18. Thomas Andersson

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Benjamin Gawert <> wrote:
    >Am 24.02.2010 20:43, * Boris Badenov:
    >
    >> Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
    >> wants SVGA though

    >No, he wants *SVHS* not SVGA.
    >
    >Benjamin

    IT NOT SVHS either damnit, it called S-Video or Y/C

    GMAN, Feb 25, 2010
  19. Thomas Andersson

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Benjamin Gawert <> wrote:
    >Am 24.02.2010 17:49, * GMAN:
    >
    >> So how do you suggest the OP or anyone else for that matter be able to record
    >> video out from their pc?

    >There are programs that allow recording of screen content, for example
    >FRAPS.
    >
    >Besides that, why should anyone want to record the video output from
    >their PC?
    >
    >Benjamin

    WTF??? are you serious?????

    GMAN, Feb 25, 2010
  20. Thomas Andersson

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Thomas Andersson" <> wrote:
    >Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >> Am 23.02.2010 18:32, * Thomas Andersson:
    >>> Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at
    >>> 5770 which seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to
    >>> have display port (whatever that does) and none have the classic
    >>> svhs/hdtv out connector.

    >> Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
    >> still come with analoge TV out. More cards do come with analoge
    >> component out (HDTV) but in Europe this is not of much relevance
    >> because TVs that have analogue component input also have VGA or
    >> DVI/HDMI inputs.
    >> Unless you have a really ancient TV I wouldn't even bother with Y/C
    >> any more (and if you have then you probably need an older gfx card).
    >> Not only because the image usually looks like crap.

    >MY TV isn't ancient, but not exactly new either, it has 2 scart connections
    >of which one accepts SVHS signal. A new one is unfortunately out of the
    >question due to economics.

    Its not SVHS, its called S-VIDEO or Y/C

    GMAN, Feb 25, 2010